The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2005, 09:37 AM   #1
krue
Designated A-hole!

Unhappy Something ain't right!

I have taken a closer look at the front suspension on the parts truck (getting lined up to swap crossmembers) when I noticed the left and right a-arms ain't the same. What do I have here? What can I do about it?
Attached Images

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
beaterC10

Looks like the passenger side loosened up and slid forward or the locating pins are sheared off on that side.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
jalste

I agree with beaterc10 or maybe the truck had a caster problem and was solved the cheap way by drilling a new locating pin, need to take it apart to see whats going on
jalste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

If you look close it looks like the pass side is wider than the drivers side. The gap is the same on the back side of the crossmember but wider on the front side.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 03-17-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

Do I need the control arms to do the disc brake swap? Swapping the whole crossmember may not be the best way to do this.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 03-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #6
beaterC10

No you don't have to use those control arms, you can put the later balljoints in your control arms. I did that several years ago on a 63.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
Sonny

When you get the arms off the crossmember you will see an indentation machined on the control arm shaft that cooresponds to a pin in the front saddle. Most likely the PO didn't make sure the shaft stayed put when it was installed and the shaft shifted. What are you trying to accomplish with the swap?

Sonny
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:53 PM   #8
krue
Designated A-hole!

Trying to put disc brakes on my 70 GMC. How would the a-arm spread because the shaft shifted?

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 03-17-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
cableguy0

the easiest thing to do. is your leave suspension intact steal the spindles from the newer truck and swap your ball joints out for newer ones. you can get sleeves to put on the end of your existing tie rods to make them fit the hole in the newer spindle. the suspension probably need new parts anyways.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:04 PM   #10
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

I wouldn't use that crossmemer either. That contol arm is the wrong one and it was modified to fit. Becareful they didn't modify the spindle as well.

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:22 PM   #11
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

looks like maybe someone swapped in a 3/4 or 1 ton arm into a 1/2 ton or vice versa. I, personally, would do the ball joint-spindle swap as mentioned earlier. oh wait, I already did that on mine. hehe
I prefer the non-rubber bushed arms by the way.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:34 PM   #12
purple gas

I'm not an expert, but first thing I'd do is measure absolutely everything to see if you got some mystery parts in the mix. ( parts on each side should be the same size, No?)then maybe measure from a crossmember farther back diagonally to a few points on the front to see if your frame is square. While your under there check for any wrinkles in your frame rails.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:35 PM   #13
Gary Lee
fixer of 72 GMC LWB

I never have had to mess with mine, but ain't redneck engineering a wunderful thing? I think by the pics, that it was a a wrong replacement, but I am anal bout the safety things being right... especially fer my precious cargo!!! Them future truck owners would agree on he safety issue as well i'm sure...
Gary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:49 PM   #14
krue
Designated A-hole!

After further thought, I am just gonna rob the spindles for the swap. It means this is gonna be a parts truck, no question about it.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 03-18-2005, 12:28 PM   #15
jalste

I agree take a good look and measure everything safety is important, dont want you to end up like jersey´s pick of the truck vs. tree.
hang in there the problem will pop up soon
jalste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #16
beaterC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0
the easiest thing to do. is your leave suspension intact steal the spindles from the newer truck and swap your ball joints out for newer ones. you can get sleeves to put on the end of your existing tie rods to make them fit the hole in the newer spindle. the suspension probably need new parts anyways.
Or take the center link with the spindles and use stock replacement tie rod ends. Might have to change the pitman arm to match the new center link but you don't have to buy any custom replacment parts down the road.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:33 PM   #17
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Krue, I dont' have an answer for ya but do have a question for Cableguy0.... Not tryin to "steal" your thread but no search requires drastic measures. Maybe I'll help you out with my questions by accident.

Cableguy0, Could you elaborate a little bit more on the tie rod end sleeves you mentioned? Maybe a vendor and part#?

Anyone, Just to keep me on the straight and narrow. For a 73-87 1/2 ton 5 lug swap to a 67-72 1/2 ton... You use 73-87 spindles/rotors and ball-joints... No control arm swap or crossmember swap required. Tie rod ends will stay the same if you use the "sleeves" cable guy spoke of?
Old 03-18-2005, 01:54 PM   #18
beaterC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing
Krue, I dont' have an answer for ya but do have a question for Cableguy0.... Not tryin to "steal" your thread but no search requires drastic measures. Maybe I'll help you out with my questions by accident.

Cableguy0, Could you elaborate a little bit more on the tie rod end sleeves you mentioned? Maybe a vendor and part#?

Anyone, Just to keep me on the straight and narrow. For a 73-87 1/2 ton 5 lug swap to a 67-72 1/2 ton... You use 73-87 spindles/rotors and ball-joints... No control arm swap or crossmember swap required. Tie rod ends will stay the same if you use the "sleeves" cable guy spoke of?
I think ECE has the sleeves in question. They are custom sized tie rod adjusting sleeves that allow the use of the smaller diameter diameter stock tie rod ends and the larger diameter later tie rods in the same sleeve.