The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2022, 11:56 PM   #1
Pops84c10

Should i keep and finish the build?

Hi new here and have a question. I have a 1972 c10 stepside that is technically my sons. Complicated story but in short he has no interest (not driving age yet) in seeing it completed and wants to sell it and get something else. Currently does not run and hasnt in prob 7 years or so. Motor ran when parked( we all know how that goes lol) so all that should be wrong with it is the following: battery , alternator , carb/ fuel delivery, brakes, and wiring harness. There are plenty other odds and ends to be finished but thats the running and driving issues. I already own a 84 c10 ls swap, and am wanting a new project truck of my own, so question is do i keep it and turn it into my own ride and buy him something different or just get the motor cranking and running and sell it for something else? Battery carb and alternator would have it in a running state for purposes of selling. Also i didnt buy it initially, my wife got it in a divorce in previous marriage so there are certain things i want to change and or redo about the build that complicates things as well. The new wheels on it are my old ones off my 84, the old ones were ghetto wheels on the trailer pic.
Attached Images

Pops84c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:11 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Should i keep and finish the build?

I'm guessing it's your step sons truck ? being his mother got it in her last divorce, Let him sell it and buy what he wants , Too much "family" history to make it worth the possible hassles of keeping it and making it "yours" Sometimes it's just easier to let them go . She took the last guys truck .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:50 AM   #3
Pops84c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I'm guessing it's your step sons truck ? being his mother got it in her last divorce, Let him sell it and buy what he wants , Too much "family" history to make it worth the possible hassles of keeping it and making it "yours" Sometimes it's just easier to let them go . She took the last guys truck .
Correct. Im the only father hes had though, the other is a ghost. Basically if i kept it id buy it from him so he could do just that, get what he wants. But the truck is as complicated as the situation..... oddly enough my wife is the one who is pushing for me to keep and fix it up. I like that its a 72 and stepside but im not a fan of the front roll pan, it needs to sit lower, i dont like black , the list goes on lol i think youre right , sell and find something else
Old 04-01-2022, 02:09 AM   #4
Accelo

Asking this type question on this forum you will likely only get one answer!
I vote for keeping the truck.
Maybe some day he will be writing about the Classic truck that got away in 2022. LOL.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:51 AM   #5
Jiggers72-GMC

Keep it, take the roll pan off, put a bumper on it and don't lower it anymore.
1969 GMC C2500 manual
Jiggers72-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:01 AM   #6
nightmare

I vote to keep it. Buy it from him, and make it yours. Some of the things are cosmetic which can easily be changed.

Obviously your wife likes the truck, maybe discuss with her the changes you'd make, and see if she's on board. If not, you could easily find another, but in the condition this one is in, you are way ahead of the game.

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:17 AM   #7
67C10Step

I'd say keep it. While I am not a huge fan of owning anything black, I think the GMC stepsides just look cool. Anything that needs changing you could do and perhaps make it a mini project for you and the wife. Your stepson may realize somewhere down the road that truck really is cooler than the other side of the pillow and it will not be lost in the wind.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:40 AM   #8
BRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
...Sometimes it's just easier to let them go . She took the last guys truck .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare View Post
...but in the condition this one is in, you are way ahead of the game.
I would agree, keep it and fix it back up the way you would like it.

You can always sell it later for more money to someone out there, they don't make those trucks anymore and there is lots of interest these days.

And IMHO black does look nice if the paint job is in good shape.
BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:00 AM   #9
layinrocker65

Unless you really like the truck, id say you tell your stepson to sell it and get what he wants. I wouldn't want a truck my wife took from her ex.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:14 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I would keep it, I don't care where it came from. With the prices of trucks and parts what they are now you may never get another one. That thing is cool as heck.

The '67 Panel Truck I bought has rolled pans front and rear, a one piece front clip, a louvered hood, frenched tail lights and a frenched antenna. If I was building one from scratch I wouldn't have any of that stuff but I just decided to live with it and drive it. I am having a blast.

You and your wife could be driving that and enjoying it in short order. Buy a vintage air unit and put in it and drive the wheels off of it....

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:28 AM   #11
HotWheelsFan

I can't help you decide whether to keep it or not but if you did put it up for sale, I would put as little money into as possible other than getting it running and driveable. It helps to eliminate lowering the price since unknown conditions or state of things gives buyers uncertainty and more cause to paying less. It's hard to tell how much it really needs or the amount of work you are able to do yourself but the list of items, carb, battery, alternator, brakes you have are a lot to go bad from sitting.

If you were to get the truck running and driveable easily, you could enjoy it yourself a bit, drive it around and that alone could bring in a buyer that pays what its worth.

My point, selling it in an "as is state" lowers the value, adding a bunch of money to fix everything nicely does not always give you that secondary money spent in return.

You might also have an option of trading for a vehicle more inline with your son's desire.

Truck looks good, I would drive it. I also think that it should sell easily as well, no matter your decision.

Bob
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:20 PM   #12
truckster

Sure, get rid of it... you can always get another one, right?

I wonder how many of us regret saying words like that years ago. Mine was a 67 Firebird convertible...
Old 04-01-2022, 01:32 PM   #13
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I vote keep it too. Buy your step son out and maybe he will take interest after you start working on it. You said you already have 1 C10 with an LS swap. What's better than another? I'd sell the square body to keep the GMC personally.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:45 PM   #14
Mid-Pack

Keep it! Buy your son the car he wants. Win, win. Your wife wants you to keep it and gave you the green light to fix it up. You have no obligation to retain it as it is. Do what you want and make it your own.
Mid-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:53 PM   #15
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWheelsFan View Post
I can't help you decide whether to keep it or not but if you did put it up for sale, I would put as little money into as possible other than getting it running and driveable. It helps to eliminate lowering the price since unknown conditions or state of things gives buyers uncertainty and more cause to paying less. It's hard to tell how much it really needs or the amount of work you are able to do yourself but the list of items, carb, battery, alternator, brakes you have are a lot to go bad from sitting.

If you were to get the truck running and driveable easily, you could enjoy it yourself a bit, drive it around and that alone could bring in a buyer that pays what its worth.

My point, selling it in an "as is state" lowers the value, adding a bunch of money to fix everything nicely does not always give you that secondary money spent in return.

You might also have an option of trading for a vehicle more inline with your son's desire.

Truck looks good, I would drive it. I also think that it should sell easily as well, no matter your decision.

Bob
^^^^^This^^^^^

Commit to getting it running. Then drive it a bit, and make your decision. Whether you keep it or sell it then, you"ll be better off than selling as is.

Cool truck, BTW.

Last edited by slikside; 04-01-2022 at 02:06 PM.
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:38 PM   #16
Pops84c10

I really want to keep it. Im pretty sure my son will change his mind down the road and wish he had it and eventually it will end up being his again anyway (im adopting him when he graduates) He is not really tied to anything done to it currently. The paint looks better in the pics than it is. Its about a 10ft paint job. Looks shadetree, fisheyes and hella orange peel in spots. But its presentable enough to drive the hell out of and not worry about rock chips.

My 84 someone mentioned to sell, not happening. Its my dads , never going anywhere
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2022, 04:46 PM   #17
Pops84c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
I'd say keep it. While I am not a huge fan of owning anything black, I think the GMC stepsides just look cool. Anything that needs changing you could do and perhaps make it a mini project for you and the wife. Your stepson may realize somewhere down the road that truck really is cooler than the other side of the pillow and it will not be lost in the wind.
Couldnt agree more. Plus it would be cool to have two trucks to take to shows and involve the wife
Old 04-01-2022, 04:50 PM   #18
Pops84c10

How hard is it to put a front bumper back on it since they have to cut the frame horns to install? Do they make something for that or just weld some thing up that works
Old 04-01-2022, 04:51 PM   #19
Mid-Pack

That truck is way cooler to drive than any newer vehicle, he just doesn`t realize it yet. But he will.
Mid-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:04 PM   #20
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops84c10 View Post
How hard is it to put a front bumper back on it since they have to cut the frame horns to install? Do they make something for that or just weld some thing up that works
I've got a frame I'll cut them off of for you and you just pay the shipping. Nice square body. I guess I'd keep both.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 03:28 PM   #21
HO455
Post Whore

No matter the complications they seem minor to what's involved with finding a new truck and rolling the dice on it's condition, even if there are no hidden issues.

As the saying goes 'A bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush."

And any time the wife is good with anything in this hobby run with it!

That's enough from me!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:09 PM   #22
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I would keep it, I don't care where it came from. With the prices of trucks and parts what they are now you may never get another one. That thing is cool as heck.

The '67 Panel Truck I bought has rolled pans front and rear, a one piece front clip, a louvered hood, frenched tail lights and a frenched antenna. If I was building one from scratch I wouldn't have any of that stuff but I just decided to live with it and drive it. I am having a blast.

You and your wife could be driving that and enjoying it in short order. Buy a vintage air unit and put in it and drive the wheels off of it....

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc

Doc is spot on. Getting another to that condition is going to be consumptive.

Quick question is there any cab rust? That is what usually holds people back.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:40 PM   #23
Southpaw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Sure, get rid of it... you can always get another one, right?

I wonder how many of us regret saying words like that years ago. Mine was a 67 Firebird convertible...
Yep, mine was a 68 Olds 442
Southpaw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:31 PM   #24
Pops84c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Doc is spot on. Getting another to that condition is going to be consumptive.

Quick question is there any cab rust? That is what usually holds people back.
Nope no rust at all. It was a west texas truck
Old 04-04-2022, 03:14 PM   #25
El Dorado Jim

Keep it, put a chrome front bumper on it if you can take the roll pan off...its a a nice truck,
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote