The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #26
RockhoundII

Re: My Nameless 79 Blazer Project

I picked up a 4l80e yesterday and swapped out the old th350 for it. I don't have any flexplate bolts yet so I'll have to install that later.
Attached Images

RockhoundII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #27
reaper71

Looking good so far.

I was looking at the same intake for mine, good to know about the crossover being to close to the alt.

Here is a shot of a customers truck I built a few years ago with a smoothed intake.

Mark
Attached Images

reaper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:03 AM   #28
RockhoundII

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper71 View Post
Looking good so far.

I was looking at the same intake for mine, good to know about the crossover being to close to the alt.

Here is a shot of a customers truck I built a few years ago with a smoothed intake.

Mark
Oh wow, that looks really good. I like how clean that engine bay is, hopefully I can clean mine up a bit.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:26 AM   #29
RockhoundII

I haven't been able to get on the forum in a while, but I have been making some progress. Here are some pictures from test fitting my headers today. The passenger side one is going to have some clearance issues with the 4l80e bellhousing. I'll get before and after pictures of that tomorrow. I also been working on my wiring, throttle cable, and finishing up my fuel system plumbing.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #30
reaper71

Thanks Man! Looking back there is some things I would have done different, if you look below there is a link to his build maybe it will give you some ideas. (Blakes 67 gmc)
Builds looking good!

Mark
Old 08-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #31
RockhoundII

Quote:
Thanks Man! Looking back there is some things I would have done different, if you look below there is a link to his build maybe it will give you some ideas. (Blakes 67 gmc)
Builds looking good!

Mark
Thanks!
I started to read through your 52 A.D. build. That is some seriously cool stuff, I love it.
Someday I'll get to work on my metal working skill. Right now I have little experience and even fewer tools for it.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #32
reaper71

Well Thank's I appreciate that.
Definitely keep us posted on this swap and any issues arise with the intake system (Im wanting the same one) only Ill be running the 92mm throttle body

Mark
Old 08-21-2018, 12:31 AM   #33
RockhoundII

I'm hoping to have it running and driving (just barely) within the next month. So I will definitely be updating here more often.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:33 AM   #34
RockhoundII

So far I like the intake, although it's probably not the best choice for the stock cam I am currently running. The only things I've had to deal with were the clearance with the alternator, the fuel rail brackets were too short for my larger 83lb injectors, and I'm going to have to make my own throttle cable bracket. My intake is for LS3 heads so the only option was the 102mm throttle body. It has 4 npt ports on the underside toward the back and came with hose barb fittings for those. It also came with four -6an fittings for the fuel rails and one -6an crossover hose. I switched everything over to -8an fittings and made a -8an crossover. Mine also was set up for the LS3 style map sensor on the back as well. It seems like the throttle body is a knock off of a holley throttle body.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:40 AM   #35
RockhoundII

Here are a couple pictures of the cutting I have to do on the passenger side of the bellhousing. I will get some more pictures after it's all done.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2018, 12:51 AM   #36
RockhoundII

I don't think I mentioned it before, but I'm going to be running the Holley Dominator efi. I chose the holley because it has transmission control, lots of expandability, and seemed fairly user friendly. This is my first experience with efi and tuning, so I'll let you all know how it goes.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2018, 07:37 AM   #37
reaper71

So you cant run that intake on stock computer?
First time messing with the intake thats why I ask

Mark
Old 08-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #38
RockhoundII

I don't know if you can or not. I haven't done much with the stock computers for these. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to with a bit of tuning. If the LS3 style map sensor is a problem, it might be possible to adapt other map sensors to that port. I haven't done any research on this to know for sure though.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #39
RockhoundII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhoundII View Post
I don't know if you can or not. I haven't done much with the stock computers for these. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to with a bit of tuning. If the LS3 style map sensor is a problem, it might be possible to adapt other map sensors to that port. I haven't done any research on this to know for sure though.
Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge can chime in here with a definite answer.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #40
PunishedC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhoundII View Post
Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge can chime in here with a definite answer.
I’m honestly not sure on that one. You may be able to get a better answer over on ls1tech.com.
Which headers are you running? I have seen many people have had to cut that ear off the bell housing on the passenger side. I am using Schoenfeld headers, passenger side fit great even with the 80e. The driver side, not so much.
Posted via Mobile Device
PunishedC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #41
RockhoundII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunishedC10 View Post
I’m honestly not sure on that one. You may be able to get a better answer over on ls1tech.com.
Which headers are you running? I have seen many people have had to cut that ear off the bell housing on the passenger side. I am using Schoenfeld headers, passenger side fit great even with the 80e. The driver side, not so much.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm running the speed engineering long tubes. 1 3/4" primaries. They aren't my ideal header, but they were the cheapest thing I could find that fit for the most part. I don't mind having to cut the bellhousing, I just didn't want any frame or motor mount intereferance like I was getting with all of the manifolds I had.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:09 AM   #42
reaper71

Ok thank's
I have a friend that does all my tuning for the engine anyways.
My headers are a stainless set I picked up on Ebay for Chevells and Camaros. Really nicely made fit tight to the block and modifying anything. and at $160 was a good choice, this is the 2nd set I've used

Mark
Old 08-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #43
reaper71

here is a shot of the headers I use.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #44
RockhoundII

Quote:
here is a shot of the headers I use.

Those look like the shorty headers made by the same company I got my headers from. They are the same price too.
I thought about getting those, but decided against it because the long tubes would save me some exhaust work since the rest of my Blazers exhaust system is set up for long tube headers from the previous motor. I was really curious how well those would work flipped forward for a turbo set up.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:23 PM   #45
RockhoundII

I didn't do anything too picture worthy today, but I did knock quite a few things out.
I fixed the damage my headers received during shipping. I dropped the transmission and installed my torque converter, then put the transmission back in and cut up my old crossmember to hold everything at the proper angle. My old crossmember doesn't go into the frame rails far enough for me to consider it safe, so I'm going to have to figure out another solution. I may end up trying to make my own. My welding skills aren't that great, but I came up with a simple plan using a straight piece of square stock and I should be able to manage it. I cut off the passenger side ear of my bellhousing so my headers fit. And I dug out my old catch can and got started on installing that.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2018, 09:25 PM   #46
RockhoundII

And some pictures of the header clearance.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #47
RockhoundII

Three day weekends really help to get things done. I knocked out a lot of the little things I had left to get it running.
I started by finishing up the pcv system. Mounted my catch can. I'm not sure how I feel about the hose that comes off of the throttle body, it was going to be kind of ugly no matter how I routed it. I also got my spark plug wires on, they do a pretty good job of avoiding the headers. There are a couple close spots I'll have to keep my eye on though.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #48
RockhoundII

I also got some reducers clamped onto my header collectors so I can connect them to my current exhaust.
The parking brake linkage is giving me some grief. It's directly in line with the transmission mount, so I have to figure out a way to make a crossmember work around it, and still keep the parking brake functional.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #49
RockhoundII

I got my alternator all mounted up with the dirty dingo low mount alternator bracket. For the iron truck blocks it requires drilling and tapping the upper mounting hole. I also found some clearance issues with my particular alternator. The plastic cover on the rear of the alternator has some sort of vent tube running across it. That plastic tube thing interfered with the engine block and my motor mount bolt. I also found that the space at the back of the alternator is so tight, it's easier to put the wire on before mounting the alternator.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #50
RockhoundII

I changed my fuel filter out for a fresh one. The old filter wasn't looking too good. That buttoned up my fuel system.
I also got my starter bolted up, and let the brakes gravity bleed for a bit and checked for leaks.
Attached Images