The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #51
sambrutay

Re: The Hawaiian Blue 1978 GMC.

good build Hunter. Love Hawaiian Blue. If your on Facebook check out the c10 Kentucky group

1964 C10 SWB #Junk
1979 C10 utility #cargopants (sold)
1971 GMC Sprint (sold)
1974 GMC Grande Sierra (sold)
sambrutay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:31 AM   #52
mattcrp1

Looking good.
Upper Control Arm Bushings: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=616974
IG mattcrp1
mattcrp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #53
Dads79GMC

Great work!!! Keep it going!

Dads 79 GMC Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=642929

1978 Silverado Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756016
Dads79GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #54
matthew.doan

Looking good keep it up! I'm also from ky out of rockcastle co.
Got a few c10's myself hope to get my done soon also..
matthew.doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #55
rusty76

You finally get done with rust repair come over and I'll let you start on my ole pick up. Ha. Good job by the way.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #56
HunterRotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambrutay View Post
good build Hunter. Love Hawaiian Blue. If your on Facebook check out the c10 Kentucky group
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcrp1 View Post
Looking good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads79GMC View Post
Great work!!! Keep it going!
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.doan View Post
Looking good keep it up! I'm also from ky out of rockcastle co.
Got a few c10's myself hope to get my done soon also..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
You finally get done with rust repair come over and I'll let you start on my ole pick up. Ha. Good job by the way.
Thanks guys! I'm going to organize some more photos tonight and update the thread.
HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #57
HunterRotten

HUNTER'S 1978 GMC C15 SIERRA BUILD THREAD

I saw the state of my photos and really didn't feel like searching through them until today. I have them all sorted out and resized I just have to get them all fixed from being sideways which I will correct as I upload.

Last time I updated I left off when I had gotten my patch panels, so I'll pick up from there when we started replacing the bad pieces of the driver bedside. It was super cold so this wasn't a whole lot of fun, even if I did a whole lot of watching during the welding process.

Here is a before, during, and after of the first patch which took some time to complete. These were cut from the patch I purchased from Jegs which covered an impressive amount of the bedside.

Sorry for the lack of photos for the updates to come, it was super cold and I didn't pull my phone out much in the garage.

Last edited by HunterRotten; 05-24-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #58
HunterRotten

It's crazy looking back on this thread, seeing how fast it makes things go by when a lot of these processes took days and sometimes multiple weekends.

The next patch wasn't entirely necessary however the panel was really beat up and there were tiny rust holes and "pock marks" throughout the area from the surface not being appropriately prepared for the bondo. This area still needs some hammer and dolly work but it's better off with this patch for sure.

We replaced both the inner part of the fender, outer, and a couple of areas inside of the bed. We found that the door patch we had used earlier had the same bend.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #59
HunterRotten

Last edited by HunterRotten; 05-24-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #60
HunterRotten

Sorry if that seemed like a rush, but I really just didn't take too many photos! Did not want to take my gloves off and I was really tired of all the body work. Here is an overview shot of the bed floor after the welding was done for the most part.

Now it was finally time to get around to some of those Christmas goodies, and man did I have some great Christmas goodies! First thing on the menu was changing out my rear leaf springs, which I bought from https://www.thesuspensionking.com/ and were partnumber CHE50 I believe. They are the 4+1 1950 lb rated spring pack. The springs themselves were cheap however shipping was not and they arrived with some heavy duty sticky tape. The tape made the painting process WAY longer than it should have due to all the residue, I ended up giving up and painting over a lot of it.

I needed new springs because my truck was sagging towards the gas tank. I thought these springs would give me a small lift with the flip kit - don't get me wrong, they did.. just not very much I think I gained 0.25" of lift. I was looking for an inch or inch and a half. I should have bought a 1" lift set.

In that last picture you might notice something cool, that something cool also is why this process took a lot longer and we ended up removing springs, adding springs, removing springs, and adding springs again in one day. It wasn't too fun.

Last edited by HunterRotten; 05-24-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #61
HunterRotten

If you weren't able to tell in the last post, that cool thing in the corner of the photo was a part of some caltracs I am fitting onto my truck!

After letting the springs dry for a day and repacking them, we ran into an issue on the install. The overload was in the way on the bar of the caltracs. I for one have some small plans to still use this truck and I didn't want to take the overloads off my new springs, so I had my dad cut them. The clearance right now is scary but it will do for now until we see what it looks like with some weight on the front end.

Last edited by HunterRotten; 05-24-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:14 PM   #62
HunterRotten

There are two more Christmas goodies to share! The next one are the bedrails, and man do I love the bedrails. Believe it or not, my dad and I had run into a set of bedrails prior to my knowledge about the truck and starting the restoration process. The conversation went a bit like this.

Dad: "Look, those are bedrails - and they're for your truck!"
Me: "Bedrails, why would I want bedrails?"
Dad: "They're cool and original?"
Me: "Do they need holes in the bed?"
Dad: "Uhhhhh... yep."

Annnnnnnnd... then they got left for garbage. Few months later I'm buying a set for $100's on ebay. This set hasn't been altered but the driver side set isn't equally spaced and there's about an inch difference for some reason between the posts. It did come with every gasket however the bolts are mixed and need to be replaced. Some are hex and some are phillips.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:14 AM   #63
NewType72

Very sweet setup with the bed rails definitely a rare option and very nice to have!

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #64
HunterRotten

Time for some back peddling, I saved the best (and the worst) for last. My parents were out of town and they visited a big car show down in Florida and a few months later an awesome gift had arrived - a set of cragars. There's one issue with the cragars. They don't quite fit. They look awesome but the back spacing is off on the rear and I have no idea if they will fit on the front, I do know it will need a spacer.

I plan on trying to use them, the tires that are available for a 15x10 for daily driving are cheap anyways. I'll just have to check to see if my fender is digging in or not. My dad and I are a bit optimistic and think with weight on the front end the bed wont be so low. If they don't work out then I'll sand and refinish the polished aluminum ones that came off while there's no tire mounted.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #65
HunterRotten

So, for awhile the truck didn't have much progress made. I have been waiting for the cab to come back from the body shop so things can finally start going back on and we can stay busy this Summer.

With all the free time I had, I had time to think.. and I mean REALLY think, Big Block sized thoughts and ideas. I checked craigslist everyday for a deal on a 454, at first kind as a joke and slowly becoming a reality. Sometime later I found one, surprisingly big blocks aren't that common on my local craigslist without costing a small fortune.

I somehow talked my dad into a 2 hr drive up into Ohio to pickup a block for $500, and to weld up an engine cradle out of an old bedframe. We quickly learned they were powdercoated and hardened steel. It wasn't fun, especially at 10 pm the night before the trip.

It held up me and my dad pretty well but I don't think us with a bare small block compares to a complete iron head big block.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #66
HunterRotten

We left out the next morning at about 6 A.M and took a quick drive up to Dayton, OH for this block. It was advertised as a block out of a 1982 truck and had about 112,000 miles.

It was about $700 by the time I left as I also bought a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake from him for about $200. He also tossed in a sliding back window and a AM/FM radio. I am convinced he threw the radio in because he knew what was to come.

We couldn't get the block to turn but he assured us it had never been sitting outside and he had a reasonable explanation for why it was pulled however I've since forgotten.

Here's the greasy block and our travel companion. He's gotten a lot bigger since you all saw him last!

Old 05-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #67
HunterRotten

We spent the ride back thinking about what we were going to do with this block. The original plan was that I was going to run the 454 stock with the peanut port heads, we were just going to refresh it like we did with my small block. New gaskets, seals, maybe the camshaft.. but since the block didn't turn we knew it would need more just not what.

Soon as we got home I hopped in the back of the truck with my dad and we started to take it apart, we don't have an engine hoist readily available so there's not a chance we could pick up a complete cast iron 454 off a 3/4 ton truck.

What was found was not good.

We still took it apart and planned to use it regardless, I think most people would have pitched it then and there but we're special and like a challenge.. apparently.

This is the last photo I took that day, most likely because my hands were too greasy to grab the phone.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #68
NewType72

Yikes.. heads up tho! Big block are a big PITA and rightfully so. Just keeping believeing in the rumble she'll have in the future and all the curse words and machine shop bills will be worth it

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #69
daddyjeep

That looks pretty gross, but as long as it isn't cracked it can be brought back to life.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #70
HunterRotten

I plan on catching this thread up to speed later tonight but I figured I would take the time now to ask about headers for a big block. I think I am going to give the ebay stainless headers a shot and try to mate them up with my pipe using those header buddies. Does anyone have any suggestions? I found a thread talking about these cheapie ebay headers but it's 6-7 years old and about small blocks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-St...NXmvLG&vxp=mtr

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=412188
Old 06-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #71
HunterRotten

Time for a little more catch up! After seeing the condition of the big block and some thinking, we decided that we were in fact going to build it and this was going to be Blue's new heart. We rolled out the 350 from the corner of the garage and did some dusting and decided to post it on Craigslist. (for those just joining, this is not the original block. My truck had an inline 6 from factory.)

It sold in less than 24 hours for around $600. I guess cleaning and painting goes a long way when you're selling. It was just a previously rebuilt 2 bolt main 350 with 400 heads. Mileage unknown.

I also sold those pretty hedman headers I purchased earlier, some swirl port vortec heads, and a few other odds and ends on eBay.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #72
HunterRotten

We got in contact with an old friend of my dads here locally and asked if we could bring in our block to get cleaned. He let us come in one Friday to get everything cleaned up, I think it cost $85. It's kinda cool how well everything cleans up.

Some of the guys at the shop were saying they never saw rods that looked like that before, my dad said it was because in the factory they took off too much material and brass was added to even them out.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #73
HunterRotten

Well, if you haven't noticed yet we don't have our own shop. Since we don't have our own shop and the work is being done by ourselves (+ this is a huge learning process for myself) it is really hard to find time get the block work done.

I'd estimate that it took us about a month before we started to touch the block again. Here is what we accomplished in the meantime.

We made a trip or two to Lowe's for some casters and bought some treated fence posts and we had plans to remove the bed in a similar way we removed the cab. Here's a really crap photo of the frame we made.

The following weekend we rolled out the frame for the first time since the Cab was removed from the truck. We did a very necessary cleaning to the entire garage (I hate bondo dust) and picked up the bed by ourselves (it was really heavy) and struggled it onto the "dolly" with minimal injury. Take note that the casters are not on.

Last edited by HunterRotten; 06-21-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #74
HunterRotten

Annnnd this is why the casters were not mounted yet. We had come up with a plan to mount the bed standing up however we forgot to measure and could quickly tell that it was not going to fit in the garage like that and I had planned on scraping off all of the undercoat for it to be replaced by bedliner. We bought a lot of wood and cut even more into useless sizes for a whole lot of nothing as the final decision was to stand it up on some ply wood for now.

I'll be back sometime soon to update the project further. For now I will leave you all with a question. In your opinion, what would be the best front bumper option for this truck? I have a set of chrome bumper guards and the rubber inserts. I'm kind of leaning towards a body color bumper with the inserts as that look isn't taken on too much. Thoughts?
Old 06-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #75
HunterRotten

I really hate undercoat, almost as much as I hate removing it.

Scrape, scrape, scrape.

Scrape, scrape, scrape.

Scrape, scrape, scrape.

Scrape, scrape, scrape.

Scrape, scrape, scrape.

So, just like before on the cab I also discovered rust on the underside of the bed. Awesome! After taking a close look at it we should have just replaced the whole part instead of just the bottom (which we had done before the bed was off.) I poked out all the holes and circled them until my dad and I could come down to a decision.

For some reason almost all of the rust we have found, besides what was under the battery tray, was all on the driver side. We think maybe because this is the side towards the center of the road. Opinions?? Here's what the other side looks like.

Last edited by HunterRotten; 06-25-2017 at 07:11 PM.