The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Part time job ideas

UPDATED, go to my last post =) #124

Mid December I decided to call it quits after 40 years in the copier/printer business. My plan was to find something part time after taking a month or three off. I'm "only" 60 so I have a little while before I can draw from our retirement options. I figured man its going to be nice to just chill for a little bit. Wrong, had to wade through all of the holidays, no chilling involved there. Cold and crappy winter weather. Hard to motivate myself to go out to the farm and play with my car and truck stuff, even hard to go in to my shop to play. Next we get a nice batch of snow this last week … ugh.

Finally motivated myself to clear the snow from my truck and driveway behind my truck. Went into town and grabbed a pizza. So nice just to get out!

Im kind of jazzed to find some sort of part time employment. My niece drives a school bus and loves it. She feels I would love it too. They are always looking for bus drivers. Even some of the city systems are looking for drivers. My BIL is a Seattle bus driver and loves it, he doesn't even have to work and never plans on quitting until he gets too old.

In my 40 years of field service work I have driven over a million and a half miles. I had a very large territory to cover. Ive worn out a lot of service vehicles haha. So, Im not sure if I wanna drive for a living even if part time.

Any of you guys or gals part time workers? What sort of things do you do? I know the large grocery chains are always hiring. I wouldn't mind working a job where I work late to early to have my days more free. Especially if I didn't have to work an eight hour shift. I don't know if my wife would like that though since she's still working.

Open to ideas (real ones lol).

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291

Last edited by CG; 03-17-2022 at 09:02 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Part time job ideas

I retired in March of 2019 but am back to work full time. Part time work locally would not support me and the family in the manner* to which we have become accustomed.

But - when I was considering part time work, these are some of the ideas I had:

a) Deliver RV trailers cross country
b) Deliver auto parts for the big box stores locally
c) Deliver new/used cars for local auto dealerships
d) Durability driver for the Big Three at a local contract house (Roush)
e) Cut the grass at Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village (or a golf course)

I'm sure there were more. I'll have to check my notes.

K

*originally I had "manor" here, but I guess that works, too
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #3
Ironhorse

Mark, couple thoughts I'll pass along for a WIW situation. I retired nearly 10 years ago at the age of 60. I was fortunate enough to draw a nice aka decent pension from 36 years company service. Had medical coverage thru the company to the age of 65 and then into Medicare. Wife had coverage thru the company until she turned 65. Medical insurance issue is HUGE, be sure you have that situation taken care of.

That said, I worked part time and still do on from time to time for a friend of mine who runs an auction service. Help setting up for and during the auctions. Get to see a LOT of cool and interesting items!

Friend of mine from work took a part time delivering cars for a local dealership to customers, other dealer sites and for service. Worked when he wanted to.

Maybe work part time at a local parts house delivering parts or even working the counter? That may not be a good thing as may have a tendency to spend your wages on parts, LOL

Our city does hire retired individuals for local parks tending if that appeals to you.

Just a couple thoughts, may or may not help. Hope you have some luck in finding something you like and fits your situation.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Have you thought about going to a place that rents out tools and outdoor equipment?
Perhaps you could do the up keep/maintenance on chain saws,generators,string trimmers and snow blowers.

As for me I think I will try to pick and choose/ schedule a lot less carpet jobs as my part time job. It isn’t working out so well for me at the moment. Work has been very steady for quite some time now. However I finished my job early this week and have today off!
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #5
Indian113

I mowed for a Lawn Care outfit for 5 years. I really enjoyed being outside in the spring and Fall! Summer not so much. I drew the line on moving snow for them though! Didn't want to be UP all night in the winter. Pick something that keeps you busy but isn't going to wear you out.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
bs46488

My father retired from the parts/service side of a dealership a couple of years ago.

He drives parts for a local parts store. Most of the work is local deliveries but every now and then he drives to the warehouse (1 hour drive one-way) to pick up special orders.

He is having fun and still gets a discount on parts he needs for his own cars, so he is happy.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Hey some good ideas I hadn't even thought of so far … Thanks!

After 40 years of giving excellent (if I do say so myself) service to hundreds of companies over the years I think I may reach out to several to see if they have any part time type openings. I have many companies that have stayed with me for 30 plus years, and one company that was my first service call I did on my own, no supervisor. If you take care of people (and are sincerely a friend and a good tech) they will stick with you for a very long time in the business world.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

This will be an interesting thread. If you consider how long and how loudly people have complained about not being able to hire good help, you should be able to do most anything you decide to.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:16 PM   #9
Grumpy old man

With your knowledge of these old trucks and from what I see of all the parts available in your area , Between all the contacts you have in here and the parts board and Ebay/ Facebook market place your a perfect fit for the parts market , Your already buying and selling not too hard to take one more step and make some $ and do what you like on your own schedule ? You already know a bunch of guys doing it in here and it seems to work out well for them .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
With your knowledge of these old trucks and from what I see of all the parts available in your area , Between all the contacts you have in here and the parts board and Ebay/ Facebook market place your a perfect fit for the parts market , Your already buying and selling not too hard to take one more step and make some $ and do what you like on your own schedule ? You already know a bunch of guys doing it in here and it seems to work out well for them .
This is something I kinda sorta considered. But after really thinking it over and being honest with myself I decided its a no go. In the end I really dislike selling parts. I have sold some lately only because I got rid of the projects they were going on and it keeps me from reacquiring similar projects. I know that sounds kind of silly, but trucks are a bad habit haha! I still have so much stuff I'm never going to use it boggles my mind when I start going through boxes and cabinets. Ill sell it in chunks … get a pile, sell it. Etc.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #11
1968k20

I would flip cars/trucks!
Yanmar Tractor 3 Cyl Diesel
1968k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #12
Dukk

I fully intend to wander into Home Depot or similar when I hang up the daily.
Dukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:15 PM   #13
dajn
Account Suspended

I can completely understand your situation in a sense. I am 38 years old and have always worked seasonal. So all winter long I sit. I have never come up with a good idea. But if I could help at all I would say try to learn something that you have never done before. Like say play the stock market or just try something you have never done before. Get creative. Build a few things and see if you can sell them for profit. Like I say, I know I am not helping much. But I understand your situation to an extent and I have never been able to find anything myself. But I admit that most of it is my own laziness while laid off. Creativity is the key for both of our problems. Goodluck.
dajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #14
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajn View Post
I can completely understand your situation in a sense. I am 38 years old and have always worked seasonal. So all winter long I sit. I have never come up with a good idea. But if I could help at all I would say try to learn something that you have never done before. Like say play the stock market or just try something you have never done before. Get creative. Build a few things and see if you can sell them for profit. Like I say, I know I am not helping much. But I understand your situation to an extent and I have never been able to find anything myself. But I admit that most of it is my own laziness while laid off. Creativity is the key for both of our problems. Goodluck.
This is good advice. I belong to Lynda.com Its site that has classes and lessons for nearly everything under the sun. I mostly use it to help me with my Adobe CC suite projects (maybe I can think of something there).

Recently I was looking through their courses and I found several on developing a "side hustle" I'm finding them very interesting.

Lynda.com is a pay site but if you are a member of your local library you can use your library info to access the site for free (the library can help you set it up). My son is in construction and he found several classes on using some new construction software. His step daughter found some fun drawing classes.

I bet if I search YouTube for "side hustle" there is going to be a lot of info.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:27 PM   #15
LS short box

So I'm retired at 59 years. I worked for the same company just short of 40 years. It was a great company. Not without the normal things that happen over the years but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
So if you are into hot rods go talk to the local body shops. Most need someone to show up three days a week and pass a drug test. Not saying you can't. Not easy work block sanding but kind of fun seeing the end results.
Same for at least 50 places in my central town MN. Show up for 8-5 everyday three days a week and you will have more job offers that you can believe.
Bus driving not for me. Good luck
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:08 AM   #16
davischevy

We have an opening for someone to come in, at their convenience, pretty much any hours they want, to wash and clean trucks and equipment. It's not a minimum wage job, but we can't find any body to do it.

Jobs open, but the commute would be a killer for you CG.

You probably don't want to drive, but in construction we need runners occasionally to take a jackhammer here, a hot saw there, a document somewhere else.

Find someone that has multiple rental properties and get the gig doing the small stuff nobody wants to do. Mow the yards, check the bulbs and locks, etc. A realtor can put you on to that those property owners.

We have a couple of guys that hired on to work half days. We forgot to tell them that a half day is 12 hours.

Several of The guys I have coffee with drive cars for the rental agencies and car dealers. It don't pay much though.

One of the coffee guys rebuilds Big Dog motorcycle starters.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:11 AM   #17
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post

We have a couple of guys that hired on to work half days. We forgot to tell them that a half day is 12 hours.
Good one! I about fell out of my chair on that one.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:16 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
You probably don't want to drive, but in construction we need runners occasionally to take a jackhammer here, a hot saw there, a document somewhere else.
Look at Other Larry trying to give his job away. Watch out Mark, that semi-retirement can sure spoil you

I feel like I've been semi-retired since the great recession. First it was lack of work to stay busy as I used to and now it's just carrying a lighter work load. I'd like to keep doing what I do but do even less once my mortgage is paid off. But I also feel I'd like to get into doing something I never did before as a regular part-time job to keep the bills paid. In your situation, if you want to stay with what you know, you could go to these businesses that know you (still for now) and see what you could do with a schedule that suits you.

If I had the time I'd be all over my truck projects. You need to find some motivation there. I do the same thing when it's cold, talk myself out of going out to handle cold steel tools and parts. You can't rig up a heated area using plastic sheeting or tarps and portable heat? You can dress for the cold, but it's the cold fingers doing mechanics that kill it for me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:02 AM   #19
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I remember that I was looking for something to do when I retired. Retirement really freaked me out as someone that had worked his entire life. I didn't know what to do. So I started writing jokes. And finally went up on stage and started doing stand up comedy. I was terrified. But I did it and it was a rush standing in front of a crowd and hearing them laugh at my dumb jokes. It's a lot of work but it doesn't feel like it. I guess that's the key. As long as whatever you choose is your avocation and not your vocation. Now I'm writing my third novel. I don't know if I can sell any of them and I really don't care. I just enjoy writing them. My brother has written several books and is giving me a hand on getting something published. We'll see.

The beauty of being retired is that you are in charge. Well.. Except for your wife. Wives will still tell you what to do. There's no getting around that.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:52 AM   #20
rsavage

Got any Tim Hortons near you? Starting pay down here is half way decent and you can work pretty much as fits your needs. Warm place and you can interact with people. Just a thought.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:43 AM   #21
CG
BlahBlahBlah

First I had to look up what Tim Hortons is … No we don't have those = )

Second this has been a very helpful thread. It really made me think a little deeper and opened my eyes to so many possibilities!

Old 01-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #22
Dukk

Lightbulb Re: Part time job ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
First I had to look up what Tim Hortons is … No we don't have those = )
You had to look it up? You're not even 2hours from the border!

There are minor hockey teams in Everett (and Bellingham) that play in the BC Minor Hockey league. A couple of years we had them in our flight and had to head down for games.
Dukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:11 PM   #23
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukk View Post
You had to look it up? You're not even 2hours from the border!

There are minor hockey teams in Everett (and Bellingham) that play in the BC Minor Hockey league. A couple of years we had them in our flight and had to head down for games.
I cant even remember the last time I was in Canada (at least 20 years). Now my passport is expired and I don't have an enhanced DL yet and I need one of those to even cross the border.

My brother has season tickets to the Everett minor league hockey team, the Silvertips. They are right on the glass so its kind of fun. I go once in a while, but its cold haha.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:05 PM   #24
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I like it too. It's giving me some ideas..Thanks!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #25
davischevy

Construction jobsite cleanup.

We are always short of part time dump truck drivers.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote