The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2016, 08:00 AM   #1
lt1wrangler

What LS Headers for 4x4 square body?

I have searched and searched(Im not very computer savvy) but i can't find a solid answer as to what LS swap headers fit a 4x4 truck with a mild lift(2-3"). What have you guys done for headers? Im running ls2 with 4l80e. Id like to run long tubes. Any help appreciated.
lt1wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
909tyler

Re: What LS Headers for 4x4 square body?

I have also been searching and found a company that makes some headers for a 4x4 LS swap. Here is the link:

http://www.brphotrods.com/products/7...4wd/index.html
909tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #3
lt1wrangler

Im going to order a few different sets just to put closure to what works best. I'll just send back what I don't use.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #4
lt1wrangler

Trailblazer SS don't work, they hit everywhere on drivers side. They also ride almost on top of the drivers side shackle! Passenger side worked good
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2017, 11:00 PM   #5
lt1wrangler

2010 and up Camaro headers hit the cross member, they lay well coming off motor but they drop out really low.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
NorCalAnthony

Thanks for taking the time to play around with some of the options out there. I've been looking stuff up for my own swap for a while now and found a couple options that a lot of seem to work real well besides just rolling the dice on a set of f-body headers and modifying them or the truck until they work.

One is the Doug Thorley model THY-323Y-C which are a little pricey but they have 3/8" flanges with 1-7/8" 14 gauge primaries and come ceramic coated inside and out. They also use DT's Tri-Y design that's supposed to be one of the better designs out there for making power if you believe that sort of thing. I haven't seen as many people using these (not sure if they're newer?) but the handful I've seen have been real happy with the fitment and quality.
http://shop.dougthorleyheaders.com/p...ers-thy-323y-c

The cheaper and far more popular option is the Schoenfeld model 1302LS1 that have 5/16" flanges with 1-3/4" 16 gauge primaries and come painted black. They also come ceramic coated for close to the same price as the DT's but they don't have any flanges on them so you're stuck using the slip-fit connectors or grinding off the ceramic coating to weld it them up to the rest of your exhaust. They also apparently come with 1-7/8" primaries now too but I haven't seen anyone running them yet to see if that affects the fitment at all. One more note on these, they used to have the O2 bungs pointed right at the shackle on one side so a lot of guys were having to cut and rotate the collector but they recently changed their design so the O2 bungs face upwards and out of the way (according to a coupld of guys using them on CK5).
http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/truck2.html
NorCalAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #7
lt1wrangler

Thanks for info! I bought a set of 1302's but havent taken the time to fully examine. I thought I'd weld a vband flange on them and send them to get jet coated. The finish on them in black definitely looks temporary and just to protect in shipping. I'll check O2 sensor hole out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAnthony View Post
Thanks for taking the time to play around with some of the options out there. I've been looking stuff up for my own swap for a while now and found a couple options that a lot of seem to work real well besides just rolling the dice on a set of f-body headers and modifying them or the truck until they work.

One is the Doug Thorley model THY-323Y-C which are a little pricey but they have 3/8" flanges with 1-7/8" 14 gauge primaries and come ceramic coated inside and out. They also use DT's Tri-Y design that's supposed to be one of the better designs out there for making power if you believe that sort of thing. I haven't seen as many people using these (not sure if they're newer?) but the handful I've seen have been real happy with the fitment and quality.
http://shop.dougthorleyheaders.com/p...ers-thy-323y-c

The cheaper and far more popular option is the Schoenfeld model 1302LS1 that have 5/16" flanges with 1-3/4" 16 gauge primaries and come painted black. They also come ceramic coated for close to the same price as the DT's but they don't have any flanges on them so you're stuck using the slip-fit connectors or grinding off the ceramic coating to weld it them up to the rest of your exhaust. They also apparently come with 1-7/8" primaries now too but I haven't seen anyone running them yet to see if that affects the fitment at all. One more note on these, they used to have the O2 bungs pointed right at the shackle on one side so a lot of guys were having to cut and rotate the collector but they recently changed their design so the O2 bungs face upwards and out of the way (according to a coupld of guys using them on CK5).
http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/truck2.html
Old 01-24-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
NorCalAnthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1wrangler View Post
Thanks for info! I bought a set of 1302's but havent taken the time to fully examine. I thought I'd weld a vband flange on them and send them to get jet coated. The finish on them in black definitely looks temporary and just to protect in shipping. I'll check O2 sensor hole out.
I was thinking the same thing, just wasn't sure how close in price they'd be to the DT's by the time I got the v-band welded on and then had them coated. I won't be ready for headers on my project until later this year so I'll be watching your build and others to see which way I'm going to go lol.

Oh and if you're still wanting to try out different options, you should also check out the new Holley LS swap headers they just came out with. One of their reps is a member on here and had a thread detailing their products a while back. He said they hadn't had a chance to test fit them on a 4x4 but didn't see why they wouldn't work.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
Flatpat

I helped a friend with a 5.3 swap, it was in a 2wd but the headers he found actually fit really well. Told me got them on eBay from a company called Speed Engineering. The quality looked okay and I think that are fairly reasonable.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #10
lt1wrangler

I bought some of the speed engineering headers for an f body when i was restoring my chevelle but they didn't run parallel upon exit with the frame. They had a downward slope so i sold them.

Does Doug Thorley make a swap set for a 4x4 truck or just C series?
Old 01-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
NorCalAnthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1wrangler View Post

Does Doug Thorley make a swap set for a 4x4 truck or just C series?
The ones I did the link to earlier (TH-323Y-C) are supposed to fit 4x4's as well. Their website lists K-5's on their fitment list and as far as I know they only came in 4x4. There's one member on hear running them on his 85 K10 Suburban but I'm not sure how many other 4x4's are running them... He has some pictures in post 70 of this thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=500520&page=3

Edit: Found another member on there that used them on his 86 stepside (pics in post 25) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=496799

Last edited by NorCalAnthony; 01-26-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #12
6TiresAreBetter

So I'm doing a 3+3 ls swap currently and I just scored a pair of LS3 manifolds from a friend that fit perfectly with tons of room. I know they are not headers but are cheaper and better then truck manifolds.
Attached Images

6TiresAreBetter is offline   Reply With Quote