The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2014, 03:44 AM   #1051
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
Nick,
It was nice to meet you and Larry at the Expo.
We came in and out Stoneman Lake Rd. Stan wanted to check out the lake, what was left of it!
This generally goes against my routine. I always try to return a different route than I came in on, but Stan and his wife were my hosts for the weekend.
We spent a lot of time watching the driving course and looking at vehicles in the parking and camping area too.
All in all we had a fun day.
It was cool meeting you too. Yeah, anymore it could be called Stoneman Rd because the lake is pretty much gone.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #1052
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Nice. Man thats a big hole in the ground. Is there a path to the bottom? Bisbee looks cool.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:59 AM   #1053
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Great work on Lance's rig, and sweet pics. That hole is crazy, and what cool scenery! Those street lights are cool, those doors are way cool. Thanks for sharing the trip with us.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #1054
Average Joe

Thanx for sharing another cool adventure.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #1055
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Nice. Man thats a big hole in the ground. Is there a path to the bottom? Bisbee looks cool.
I would guess there is, but it is still owned by the mine, so I'm sure there is no admittance. Bisbee is a cool little town. In all my years of wandering, I'm not sure how I missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Great work on Lance's rig, and sweet pics. That hole is crazy, and what cool scenery! Those street lights are cool, those doors are way cool. Thanks for sharing the trip with us.
Yeah, there was a ton of cool stuff like that all over town. A lot of history everywhere you look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Thanx for sharing another cool adventure.
Thanks for posting up!!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:58 PM   #1056
mosesburb
I had a V-8

We had kind of a lull in adventures for awhile. In the beginning of May we went to a location that we were sworn to secrecy on so I can't post pictures of where we went, but we stopped by a place on the way back that had a bunch of old vehicles out back. We didn't talk to anybody, just walked the fenceline and took some pics.

Good use of an International:

Nothing too exciting, but some neat stuff out there nonetheless.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #1057
mosesburb
I had a V-8

We did go to Overland Expo again this year, but I didn't take too many pics. I like walking around looking at all the cool stuff, but I end up not taking many pics. Here are a few from this year:

MAN truck:

Cool old LandCruiser:

Sunset Friday night:

Here are a few from last year at OX that I guess I didn't post:

Back when Land Rovers were real vehicles:

I'm not normally one of those people who post up pictures of food, but my buddy Bill makes some insanely tasty fried chicken and everyone else contributes side dishes that add up to a crazy good meal:

Met Rick Pewe from Four Wheeler Magazine and he took a bunch of pics of the truck for the mag out on the Land Rover test track:

It's not the flexiest rig around, but it gets the job done:

Now I've done some strange things to "get the shot" with a camera, but this one might just take the prize for weirdest:

It didn't end up making the magazine but that's ok. The best part of the deal was hanging out with Rick, both at the shoot and the evening prior eating fried chicken. It's real cool when someone like Rick, who has literally seen it all, expounds how he loves the simplicity of your vehicle which is like a blunt object swimming around in a sea of high-tech, high-dollar rigs that often rarely get used for anything.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #1058
ryanroo

Sweet!

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #1059
Dean'smeanmachine

nice!

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #1060
tune_1

Just finished reading through the complete post. Liked all the modifications that you made to the suburban but really liked all of the trip post where you were using the truck. Thanks for taking the time over the years to make it more than just a build but also to document the use and enjoyment of it.

Dwight
tune_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:06 AM   #1061
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
Sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean'smeanmachine View Post
nice!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tune_1 View Post
Just finished reading through the complete post. Liked all the modifications that you made to the suburban but really liked all of the trip post where you were using the truck. Thanks for taking the time over the years to make it more than just a build but also to document the use and enjoyment of it.

Dwight
Thanks for posting up. It's posts like this that make it worthwhile. These picture posts take a bunch of time to put together--partially because I'm slow as hell, but partially because I like to give details of the pic or details as to why I'm posting the picture and not just making a giant photo-dump post. At times I wonder if anyone is actually looking at them or if it's worth continuing doing them, so I appreciate the feedback. I'm glad you like them.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #1062
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Don't stop posting the pics. Even if most people are just lurking I'd bet most love how you have tied the build to the follow up use of the vehicle. There are hundreds of build threads on the site. Most of the threads die without a completed project. Too many give up and have never, nor will ever drive their trucks. If all everyone wanted to see on here was another post of a painted chassis or rocker/floor replacement there would be no need for another thread to be started. Most want to see whats new and different. Yours is unique and the scenery is always great.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #1063
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #1064
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Bisbee looks way cool and that junk yard is drool worthy. You would have probably would have had to try to keep me off the fence that so I wouldn’t get shot.

Quote:
Don't stop posting the pics. Even if most people are just lurking I'd bet most love how you have tied the build to the follow up use of the vehicle. There are hundreds of build threads on the site. Most of the threads die without a completed project. Too many give up and have never, nor will ever drive their trucks. If all everyone wanted to see on here was another post of a painted chassis or rocker/floor replacement there would be no need for another thread to be started. Most want to see whats new and different. Yours is unique and the scenery is always great.
For sure! Build vehicles are eventually intended to get used. Mosesburb, 1leglance, and I are some of the very few that built something and actually use it in the wild. The trio of old GM rigs are quite the conversation piece when the 3 of us are together, especially at the Overland Expo where the majority of the crowd drive late model Jeeps, Range Rovers and Tacomas where those guys pay people to “build” their trucks.

Wish Nick and Lance could have come along with us to Canyonlands after the Expo this year. We could have really gotten some great pics together.

This one is a trip Mosesburb and I took in 2012. Fun time! We need to get another trip planned out!
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #1065
ERASER5

I read every line. I just try not to muck up the works with useless posts. But I use your 'burb as a talking point when the subject is about a usable, cool, off road ready, daily driver with special camping abilities.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #1066
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

I look forward to your and Larry's thread updates. You guys have, by far, the best pictures, updates, and projects!

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:47 AM   #1067
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Thanks man!! I agree in that far too many nice trucks are put out of service nearly permanently due to some things that are not "perfect" about them. Sadly, most of those trucks don't get finished. Starting the project is the cheapest part. It only gets exponentially more expensive from there. My truck has tons of faults that many people would not be able to live with--not me though!! I live with them. Hell, I embrace some of them!! Occasionally I even add some of my own!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Bisbee looks way cool and that junk yard is drool worthy. You would have probably would have had to try to keep me off the fence that so I wouldn’t get shot.
Try to keep you off?? Hell, I'd give you a boost OVER the fence......then go back to the truck and lay on the horn--just to make sure nobody sees you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
For sure! Build vehicles are eventually intended to get used. Mosesburb, 1leglance, and I are some of the very few that built something and actually use it in the wild. The trio of old GM rigs are quite the conversation piece when the 3 of us are together, especially at the Overland Expo where the majority of the crowd drive late model Jeeps, Range Rovers and Tacomas where those guys pay people to “build” their trucks.
It's funny, depending on who it is walking by determines the reaction our hoopties get. Some greet them with much prejudice and great disdain. Some greet them with amazement that something without a warranty would be driven this far from home, while others see the uniqueness in each of them and appreciate the time, effort and engineering that has gone into them. The last group is by far the smallest at one of those events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
I read every line. I just try not to muck up the works with useless posts. But I use your 'burb as a talking point when the subject is about a usable, cool, off road ready, daily driver with special camping abilities.
Thanks!! Feel free to muck away. A talking point, eh?? Can't say as I've heard of it being used as one of those before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
I look forward to your and Larry's thread updates. You guys have, by far, the best pictures, updates, and projects!
Thanks!!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #1068
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
Thanks!!

Thanks for posting up. It's posts like this that make it worthwhile. These picture posts take a bunch of time to put together--partially because I'm slow as hell, but partially because I like to give details of the pic or details as to why I'm posting the picture and not just making a giant photo-dump post. At times I wonder if anyone is actually looking at them or if it's worth continuing doing them, so I appreciate the feedback. I'm glad you like them.
KEEP THE ADVENTURE PICS COMING!!!! I have shown your build thread and journey pics to the guys at work and they digg it. I think lots of people really enjoy seeing a different part of the country. The fact that you are driving a Cummins powered Burb that YOU YOURSELF built is cool x infinity!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #1069
ERASER5

I keep telling my wife about "this guy" that has a Suburban.. hint hint... that goes camping and site seeing at old mining towns out in the desert. I need to get her to look at the pictures. I mean, doesn't everyone need a custom 'burb to go camping? I think they do.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #1070
ejn74

I greatly enjoy the pictures of your adventures, keep them coming!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #1071
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

It's too bad you didn't get in the mag, but then again, you use your truck so that wouldn't make mag sense. Keep posting the journeys! I always look forward to them as well!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:16 AM   #1072
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
KEEP THE ADVENTURE PICS COMING!!!! I have shown your build thread and journey pics to the guys at work and they digg it. I think lots of people really enjoy seeing a different part of the country. The fact that you are driving a Cummins powered Burb that YOU YOURSELF built is cool x infinity!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
I keep telling my wife about "this guy" that has a Suburban.. hint hint... that goes camping and site seeing at old mining towns out in the desert. I need to get her to look at the pictures. I mean, doesn't everyone need a custom 'burb to go camping? I think they do.
I don't know about everybody, but I know I do!! My wife knows those people as "imaginary friends".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejn74 View Post
I greatly enjoy the pictures of your adventures, keep them coming!
Thanks!! Will-do.

Quote:
It's too bad you didn't get in the mag, but then again, you use your truck so that wouldn't make mag sense.
Hahaha!! There is some truth to that statement. Like the mag that did the coolest Suburban ever for the 75th anniversary of the Suburban and they picked a 67ish with a big block and a 700r4 that obviously has never seen a trail before. There are a bunch of Suburbans on THIS site that were way cooler than that thing. Meeting and hanging out with Rick was by far the best part of that deal.

Quote:
Keep posting the journeys! I always look forward to them as well!
Thanks. I am getting quite a bit behind in the modification and maintenance updates. I should probably get to posting some of that just to show that it does require some lovin' once in a while to keep it on the trail.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:50 AM   #1073
mosesburb
I had a V-8

So I guess it is time to catch up on some of the nuts and bolts of this thing. I have been putting off a lot of the pictures of the maintenance/modifications in lieu of posting trip pics. Well, I have a bunch of trip pics from some trips lately, but I need to clear a backlog of the stuff that keeps this mess on the trail. So, here we go.

I have had a few requests regarding pictures of how my winch is mounted. Awhile back I found a Warn M12000 commercial frame winch on the old c/list. It seemed like a good deal, the only problem was it was in Flagstaff and I was not. While normally not a problem, at this point in time a trip to Flagstaff to pick up a winch would have negated the "good deal" aspect of the unit. I managed to hatch a plan with a local member up there who then sent his wife to meet up with the c/list seller in a parking lot to pick up my M12000. All sketchiness aside (and sending his little wife to pick up a huge winch), it worked out rather well.

So now I have a winch, a big-ass winch. The sheer size of the winch began to set in. It's big. I want to do some sort of mounting behind the bumper. I started doing some research on how other people had done it and found that people don't do it because it doesn't fit between the frame rails. Oof. Wish I would have done this research before I bought this thing. I decide to strip it down and take some measurements for myself. I removed the control assembly and was left with this:

So I do some measuring and it's not THAT far off. If I do some finagling installing it it gets even closer. I eventually get it down to this:

With a little strategic "polishing" of the inner edges of the frame channels, it reluctantly goes in.

Oh, my. She's a big one. That is as far up as I can get it. I had these neat plans of how I was going to mount it and where I was going to put it. Well, let's just say I put it where IT told me IT wanted to go. There was literally no room for negotiation.

So needless to say, nobody makes a mounting kit for this thing to go between the frame rails on a '72 Suburban. I started looking at any winch mount I could lay my eyes on to see how different winches are mounted. The thing that surprised me the most is how light most mountings are. I even looked at some mountings on different tow trucks and was amazed at how "un-heavy" the mounts are. Now, granted, they are engineered and obviously hold up just fine, but I thought they would have been bigger.... Now the time comes to choose materials. Being that I am very limited on space and how I can mount this thing I went a little heavier on the mounting plate. I roughed out a mounting plate from some 3/8 cold rolled plate. I used some 1/2 x 3" angle in the frame channels for brackets:

After I got everything located on the plate I decided to put a reinforcement rib across the front of it. I grabbed a piece of 1/2 x 1-1/2 flat stock and burned it across the face. I figured that, plus the 3/8 plate to start with should hold the winch sufficiently.

I used six of the 1/2-20 flange head IHC crossmember bolts and nuts to hold the plate to the brackets:

I then used six 5/8-11 bolts to hold the brackets to the frame:

Holy few dollars of hardware in the last couple pics.

Hopefully the last "trial fit":

The damn thing is heavy and generally uncooperative during installation and/or removal.

At this point all I need is a bumper. I cut a opening in the original bumper and the fairlead fit right in. The fairlead came with a standoff bracket that save a bunch of time and effort by spacing the fairlead out from the winch face and put it perfectly in the opening in the bumper.

I mounted the control box assemble to the driver side inner fenderwell. I just realized I don't have a picture of it, but it is there. I made new power cables to connect it to the winch as well as new power cables to the battery. All in all it ended up fitting in there and it has worked great the few times I have used it. I have yet to use it on a trail (and hope I never have to), but around the yard, etc, it works great. The guy that I bought it from said that it was on a truck that had a rear winch so this one never got used. I had to re-clock the housing to bring the shift lever to a lower area and when I had the housing off, it really did look like brand new inside.

After messing around with this I got to looking at other possibilities for winches and there really aren't many for a winch of this capacity. One option was the Zeon from Warn. I hadn't seen that one until I bought this one, but it is a smaller frame which would have simplified mounting somewhat. When we were at Overland Expo this year, Warn had a booth and had two 12k winches that were disassembled showing the difference between the two.

Zeon on the left, M12000 on the right:

The ring gear from the Zeon fits inside the ring gear from the M12000. Pretty impressive. The most impressive thing I thought was the fact that all of the power from the winch goes through the pencil-sized hexagonal shaft in the pic (same size for both). Never would have thought that would transmit ANY power without shearing, much less 12k worth of pulling power.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:54 AM   #1074
mosesburb
I had a V-8

I wanted to pass along a big thanks to Palf70Step for the truck of the month nomination. I clicked on the link to see what the subject for the month was and was pleasantly surprised to see my truck in there. Thanks man!!

If anyone wants to throw a vote at it, the contest is going on HERE.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #1075
ryanroo

There is an M12000 on the local CL that has been baiting me lately.... haha

Looks good, as always.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote