The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #1251
Chevette

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Lookin' good, Kabwe. I really like the way you did the firewall. Removing the flanges and all makes it look not cluttered and the surface is great.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #1252
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabguy View Post
Here are a couple from my build thread. they are old though.

I need A arms from porterbuilt still!!

Here is a pic of the C-notch
Man the frame looks beefy and strong. Looking good man, looking really good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevette View Post
Lookin' good, Kabwe. I really like the way you did the firewall. Removing the flanges and all makes it look not cluttered and the surface is great.
Thanks buddy,

Due to using the 55/56 car dash I had to run my steering column through the firewall (I hated doing that) but I think it will look okay.

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-03-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #1253
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

The rest of my brakeline plumbing pics.

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-06-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #1254
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
The rest of my brakeline plumbing pics.

Nice. Like a pro. Is that stainless line? If so, would you recommend it? What bending tool did you use? Any suggestions or things that you have learned that would help us?
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #1255
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
Nice. Like a pro. Is that stainless line? If so, would you recommend it? What bending tool did you use? Any suggestions or things that you have learned that would help us?
Nope they are steel lines. If you want stainless thats cool but I did not see the need because it will never be a show truck.

The bending tool I use is a Ridgid 456
http://www.ohiopowertool.com/images/...edium/1865.jpg

The inverted flare tool is also a Ridgid. Its a Ridgid 345. When I purchased it I also bought the inverted flare kit. It does not come with it unless stated.
https://www.plumbersstock.com/files/...ault/98391.jpg

Advice? Not a big deal if you take your time and think it through. I used tig wire (A wire clothes hanger would work also) to make the shapes I needed, then I just transferred that shape to the tubing.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #1256
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Nope they are steel lines. If you want stainless thats cool but I did not see the need because it will never be a show truck.

The bending tool I use is a Ridgid 456
http://www.ohiopowertool.com/images/...edium/1865.jpg

The inverted flare tool is also a Ridgid. Its a Ridgid 345. When I purchased it I also bought the inverted flare kit. It does not come with it unless stated.
https://www.plumbersstock.com/files/...ault/98391.jpg

Advice? Not a big deal if you take your time and think it through. I used tig wire (A wire clothes hanger would work also) to make the shapes I needed, then I just transferred that shape to the tubing.
Thanks. Where did you get the lines and what size are they? Are you going to paint the lines or are they coated with something to prevent rust?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #1257
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
Thanks. Where did you get the lines and what size are they? Are you going to paint the lines or are they coated with something to prevent rust?
I got them from Napa Auto parts, they sale the tube in straight lengths of 5 feet (personally I don't like the lines that come in a roll) and the size is 3/16. Man I'm not painting any lines, these lines will out live me and this truck.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-07-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #1258
Kim57

Looks real nice and clean Bam.
Kim
Old 10-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #1259
mknittle

[QUOTE=Kabwe;5632457]The rest of my brakeline plumbing pics.

Looks real nice my friend, real nice!

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #1260
oldman3

Looks great...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #1261
Frizzle Fry

Clean work. Napa also sells poly-armor lines. Highly recommended! Super easy to bend and poly coated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #1262
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Clean work. Napa also sells poly-armor lines. Highly recommended! Super easy to bend and poly coated.
Posted via Mobile Device
WOw. That stuff seems too good to be true. I am a little weary of something that can be bent by hand but what do I know? You have used it with good long term success?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #1263
Frizzle Fry

Just installed it on the minx. No long term use yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #1264
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

You also can use NiCopp Nickel Copper Brake Lines. I thought about it but then thought man steel lines are fine. Its 60 year old cars that are still running the original steel lines. But the NiCopp lines are suppose to be 58% easier to bend. I've never had an issue bending steel lines, although I know a lot of people that find them a pain.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #1265
jjjmm56

Looking good, not much longer now.
jjjmm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #1266
Dan in Pasadena

Ok, someone's GOTTA do it, may as well be me. What's an "inverted" flare? ...and why is this needed over say an ordinary double flare?

Also, Bam your work looks great as usual. How does that bender work to make that gentle curve over your frame notch or if you DIDN'T use that for it, how did you accomplish it? The clamps you used look like the kind I can get at Home Cheapo - those gotta be a lot cheaper than the billet looking ones I see on so many trucks. DId you use them for cost savings? Because I kinda like that they have the rubber inside rather than a metal-on-metal clamp.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #1267
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Great looking brake lines my friend.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #1268
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Ok, someone's GOTTA do it, may as well be me. What's an "inverted" flare? ...and why is this needed over say an ordinary double flare?

Also, Bam your work looks great as usual. How does that bender work to make that gentle curve over your frame notch or if you DIDN'T use that for it, how did you accomplish it? The clamps you used look like the kind I can get at Home Cheapo - those gotta be a lot cheaper than the billet looking ones I see on so many trucks. DId you use them for cost savings? Because I kinda like that they have the rubber inside rather than a metal-on-metal clamp.
Dan the curve over the c-notch was made by hand and with the tool. The top of if was formed by hand and the tight curves at the bottom was done by the bender. The clamps came from jegs and they are aluminum with the rubber insert. I used them because I liked the rubber insert.

A inverted flare is a standard flare that is used to connect automotive steel brake lines also known as a double flare. It is a 45 degree flare that is folded inside itself. The first flare is made with a die, remove the die and crank down the flaring tool to make the second flare and your done. You can use this with steel, copper and aluminum brake lines.

A 37 degree single flare is used for stainless steel lines because stainless steel is a harder metal an my crack if you try to double flare it so a single flare is recommended. It can also be used to connect hardlines to AN fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Great looking brake lines my friend.
Thanks but when did we become friends.lol Just kidding buddy.

Last edited by Kabwe; 11-28-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #1269
pgf545

Kabwe, I did Stainless on dads truck and it was pretty easy to work with also. I also did 3/8 stainless fuel lines and it took quite a bit more muscle than the 3/16 brake lines. I only ran the rear axle lines so far because I am waiting until we get the cab on before running the rest on the brake lines.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #1270
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
Kabwe, I did Stainless on dads truck and it was pretty easy to work with also. I also did 3/8 stainless fuel lines and it took quite a bit more muscle than the 3/16 brake lines. I only ran the rear axle lines so far because I am waiting until we get the cab on before running the rest on the brake lines.
Looking good buddy, looking good.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #1271
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Bam. I knew what a double flare was, buy I had just never known they were also called an inverted flare. Thanks for the info.

Everything is looking good. What's left to do to have a running chassis? Much?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #1272
Low Elco

Dude, I don't know what they make those green coated ones from AZ out of but DANG they bend smooth! Almost got me to thinkin' I could do that again! (Wrong, but I got what I needed done!) Great work as always, Kab!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #1273
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Everything is looking good. What's left to do to have a running chassis? Much?
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan,
Even though the truck is apart again I'm closer than you may think.lol Because this time there is no mock up that's all been done, so when I put something together now it stays. I'm at least at the point to where I put it together and nothing has to come back off.lol Rust repair, fab work, and mockup is all done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Dude, I don't know what they make those green coated ones from AZ out of but DANG they bend smooth! Almost got me to thinkin' I could do that again! (Wrong, but I got what I needed done!) Great work as always, Kab!
I never used those green coated lines, I've always used the plain old steel ones so I wouldn't know. Maybe next time I will try them. The steel ones never bothered me because every own car I bought the brake lines were still good after all those years. I just replaced them for changes made to the system or for neatness. But I was seriously considering using the NiCopp Nickel Copper Brake Lines on this project, but there is a Napa by my job and one day I walked by it and just said the heck with it give me some brake lines.lol I ready to get moving on my project.

Do you guys remember that 1945 Chevy truck I did the Mustang 2 on? Well when I went to help him put his engine in this is what I saw. It really motivated me that a 73 year old guy has moved this far along.lol

Its not perfect but he is not concerned with that. He told me "Man, I'm 73 years old. I don't have time for perfect I have to drive this thing before I die".

From this

To This

He is even further along now these pics are about 2 months old. When I went over there to put the engine in and saw this it got me motivated again.

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-30-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #1274
Dan in Pasadena

73 year old kicking ur ass a little bit?! Ha ha, just kidding!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #1275
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
73 year old kicking ur ass a little bit?! Ha ha, just kidding!
Posted via Mobile Device
Nope its true.lol I'm really picky so that does not help. My buddy was going to paint the truck for him but he couldn't wait and went to 1 Day Paint and worked out a deal with them that they would paint the truck in pieces. Now my buddy will not touch the truck.lol He said I don't want my name on that truck now because the quality of work leaves much to be desired. The owner is happy and thats all that matters and he is moving on. My painter buddy is right the quality of the paint job is not what I could live with but its not my ride. I help him out whenever he needs help and keep my mouth closed because he is much further along than me.lol

The quality of the build shows in the details, sometimes I wish I didn't care so much about details but I do.lol A small wave looks like an ocean to me and I can see a drip from a mile away. Its a dang curse. Hotrod1 can tell you how bad it is.lol He's been with me while I look at cars and told me he did not notice things I saw.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-30-2012 at 07:53 PM.