The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question Speakers and Amp

I want to know if this is right.

I have 2 10" subs mounted behind the seat.
2 -3ways mounted under the seat
2- tweeters mounted on the cab walls
2 mid ranges in the stock dash area.

I have a cheap 100w amp running the 4 smaller speakers, tweeters, mids. this is off the front RCA jacks.

I have another biger amp running the 3 ways and subs hooked through the rear rca jacks with y connectors for a four channel amp.

What I want to know is can I hook another amp up to the y connector and bridge the 2 amps to run only 2 speakers each. I have another 4 channel amp which is 800w that I can use to power the 2-3ways with.
What do u think?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Speakers and Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I want to know if this is right.

I have 2 10" subs mounted behind the seat.
2 -3ways mounted under the seat
2- tweeters mounted on the cab walls
2 mid ranges in the stock dash area.

I have a cheap 100w amp running the 4 smaller speakers, tweeters, mids. this is off the front RCA jacks.

I have another biger amp running the 3 ways and subs hooked through the rear rca jacks with y connectors for a four channel amp.

What I want to know is can I hook another amp up to the y connector and bridge the 2 amps to run only 2 speakers each. I have another 4 channel amp which is 800w that I can use to power the 2-3ways with.
What do u think?
Why don't you get some crossovers, and run the tweeters off the high signal for the "front" speakers. IMO tweeters don't need to be their own channel, just run them off the front two midranges.

Take the "other bigger amp" (4 channel), and hook the mid ranges to the front stage, with the tweeters running off a powered crossover instead of off the amp. Then hook the 3 ways (Effectively the rear stage), and hook them to the rear set of outputs on that same amp. That puts all your speakers on 1 amp.

Then assuming your head unit has 3 outputs, take the 800w amp, bridge it down and hook ONLY the subs to it . If you don't have 3 outputs, you can still do the same, but it would make the speakers all run off the front signal, since the rear signal has to get changed to sub output if you don't have 3.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Thanks for the info. Now if I only knew what u meant by a crossover!!!!!

I have the small amp hooked to the front RCA jacks that run the four small speakers and the rear rca's run the 3 way and subs. I could swap the amps out and make the 800w drive the subs and let the 400w drive the 23ways could I by unplugging 2 of the rca plugs and plugging them into the other amp and then tie all the power leads together behind the seat.

Is this right thinking are am I way off.

One thing I'm trying to avoid is pulling the carpet up and rewiring the whole system.
All the small stuff is wired under the dash and the bigger stuff is ehind the seat.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

my crossover is below my head unit
one line in ,splits to 3, low,med ,high-all ajustable seperately
allows for ez ajustment being up front
others types may just mounted some where
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Thanks for the info. Now if I only knew what u meant by a crossover!!!!!

I have the small amp hooked to the front RCA jacks that run the four small speakers and the rear rca's run the 3 way and subs. I could swap the amps out and make the 800w drive the subs and let the 400w drive the 23ways could I by unplugging 2 of the rca plugs and plugging them into the other amp and then tie all the power leads together behind the seat.

Is this right thinking are am I way off.

One thing I'm trying to avoid is pulling the carpet up and rewiring the whole system.
All the small stuff is wired under the dash and the bigger stuff is ehind the seat.

The way I described would run only 2 amps, eliminating the pretty 100w amp...it doesn't need to really be in the system if wired correctly, and it sounds kinda wimpy. There isn't any reason for the 3 ways and the sub to be on the same amp, since you would then be running a 4 channel amp, over to 2 speakers drawing X watts, and 2 subs drawing XX watts. If a 4 channel amp is lets say 400W (peak), that means its like 50w rms per channel. That 50w is fine for the speakers, but pathetic to drive a 10" sub. Your doing both speakers a disservice running them that way.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Speakers and Amp

OK,
that what I was thinking.

I guess I need to pull the whole system out and redo it. Man I love my truck!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club