The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #51
Crx150zc

Re: New Member, New Project, 66 c10

Warmed up a bit, I thawed the front cross member from the suburban and got a chance to disassemble it. I will take pictures today but so happy to make progress. I cleaned up the upper control arms as best as I felt they were worth and spent a few hours getting the center cross member clean and a coat of rust converting primer on the bottom. Started getting cold and I had to let the paint dry so I hope to make more progress tonight.

Yea Progress.
Crx150zc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #52
Crx150zc

Progress, I spent a week cleaning and painting the front cross member and control arms, they did not come out like new but shiny and black is good with me. Mounted the front cross member and drilled out the new holes, kinda nice to get some thing on the truck that will hopefully be there forever. It was getting late and the lower control arms were at my house but I got the uppers in place
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #53
Crx150zc

More Pictures ...
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #54
Crx150zc

oops the last picture was supposed to be this one, we gave up at about 2am this morning.

Second picture is Jimmy trying to remove a bracket at the junk yard in 5 degree weather with the wrong tools. He got it but it involved kicking and screaming.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #55
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crx150zc View Post
Yea, I get to tell you all about my POS rust bucket, Looking for a name to call my build some thing that says " I am cheap, I make mistakes, This might be the first chevy I have ever owned...... I normally work on hondas only" Feel free to make suggestions for my build name.

So far I have a rusted out 1966 C10 that I paid 1000.00 for, a 1987 suburban that made it 100 miles from the owners house to where it will soon be sacrificed to the c10 for 850.00 and I paid 200.00 for plates, I bought an economy heater? the one that mounts under the dash only from a 63 for 35.00, and I paid about another 50.00 for some front end parts that I can not even remember what I bought.

Here is the best part, I have not even gotten the 66 c10 to my house yet, the old owner said he would bring it into town for me for nothing but I would have to wait a week so I figure I will save my AAA tows for a later date.

For now I will continue to read up on others builds but being from Colorado I really felt that throttle body injection was the way to go. I know lots of ugly wires but not a lot of information on hiding the harness. Maybe I can do a write up on what I do.

BTW do you put you photos on photo bucket and just link them?

Need a want to buy section in the classifieds the guy I bought my 66 from has about 20 others for sale but the only other short bed I seen out there was a 61 and I think the dash is ugly on those. He also parts some out. Has some rare ones out there. Let me know if there is one truck every one is looking for and I can ask him.

Enough for my fist post.
wish me luck
The wires and computer are not ugly, use the wiring harness and the fuse panel form the 87, just plug and play. Only thing you will have to attach wires to are the fuel gauge, temp gauge, tach, and speedo(manual conversion) I used the front crossmember, sway bar, 350tbi, 700r4, power steering box, alternator, ps pump, water pump etc for my 66gmc. it worked great oh yes the tilt wheel also. It is pretty clean when you get finished. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #56
Crx150zc

Thanks for the insight Kieth, I plan on using as much of the suburbans as possible, I would love to know what tank you found that fit in you truck.

In other news, got the lower control arm installed, I am going to order 2-2.5 inch drop spindles in the morning.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #57
Crx150zc

So if you have been following my build, would like header options... Jimmy is using the black ones in the picture but I notices one of the plugs looks like a nightmare to get at, was thinking of the ones that go straight down and just go 90 degrees asap because of the lowering kit. Just gathering ideas, let me know any information you might have.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #58
Crx150zc

So far as I can tell the black ones make it impossible to remove the second to last plug on both sides and the ones that dump down the center on the motor looks like starter removal will be a pain. ... oh the choices we have to make ....
Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #59
CRGRS 66

Hey there! I am subscribed to follow along. I have had no time this winter to work on my truck, so living vicariously through following projects like yours. Nice progress, and cool truck!

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #60
Crx150zc

UPDATE time, I went to the tri-state swap meet in Denver co. and picked up a set of headers. I got the motor mounted but looks like jimmy is correct the rear cross member from the suburban holds the tranny to high for comfort, might be ok if you cut up the cross member that has the hole for the axle to pass through but I want to keep as much support as possible.

I got the new drop spindles put in and old brakes mounted to them.

Snapped a quick photo of his project in the background, Kinda neet to see the two trucks coming along.
Attached Images