The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
Nohassle5

SEM Hot Rod Black Kit....Show me Pics...

Truck is hitting paint next week and want to be sure I'm making the right decision. Show me your pics of your trucks painted with the SEM Hot Rod Black Kit.
Is it flat or satin?
How is it holding up?
How are you caring for it?

How is it holding up to hand prints, fuel, oil, tire dressing, and other elements?

Any other info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Nohassle5; 12-12-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Nohassle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Userone

Re: SEM Hot Rod Black Kit....Show me Pics...

Subscribed. I'm painting mine the same.
Userone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
69sinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohassle5 View Post
Truck is hitting paint next week and want to be sure I'm making the right decision. Show me your pics of your trucks painted with the SEM Hot Rod Black Kit.
Is it flat or satin?
How is it holding up?
How are you caring for it?

How is it holding up to hand prints, fuel, oil, tire dressing, and other elements?

Any other info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Here is mine..and to answer your questions, its SEM hot rod black. The paint is pretty durable, but keep in mind scratches or stains cannot be rubbed out. As far as cleaning I use nothing but Dawn dish soap, and for detailing I use Wizards matte wipedown, works awesome. Hand prints do show easily and definitely use no or low sling tire dressing. If your painting it yourself keep in mind this paint will show any dust or imperfections in your body work. I get a lot of compliments on it, but I don't think I'll ever go with this color again, too much work keeping it clean. Dave
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Nohassle5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69sinker View Post
Here is mine..and to answer your questions, its SEM hot rod black. The paint is pretty durable, but keep in mind scratches or stains cannot be rubbed out. As far as cleaning I use nothing but Dawn dish soap, and for detailing I use Wizards matte wipedown, works awesome. Hand prints do show easily and definitely use no or low sling tire dressing. If your painting it yourself keep in mind this paint will show any dust or imperfections in your body work. I get a lot of compliments on it, but I don't think I'll ever go with this color again, too much work keeping it clean. Dave
Thanks for all of the info Dave. You have a great looking truck. It's great to have someone with real world experience to shed some light on this. I'm not shooting this myself, so I'm leaving this to the professionals. Would you say that it is more flat or more of a satin finish?
TIA
Old 12-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
69sinker

It's more satin than flat. Looks great when clean, but like I said it's a pain to keep clean. I've seen some vehicles with rustleum or john deere blitz black that look good especially for the cost savings($100 vs $700). I'm a fan of satin blue and grey, you might look into those also unless your mind is set on black. There are more pictures of my truck if you click on my build link. Dave
Old 12-15-2014, 12:38 AM   #6
Nohassle5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69sinker View Post
It's more satin than flat. Looks great when clean, but like I said it's a pain to keep clean. I've seen some vehicles with rustleum or john deere blitz black that look good especially for the cost savings($100 vs $700). I'm a fan of satin blue and grey, you might look into those also unless your mind is set on black. There are more pictures of my truck if you click on my build link. Dave
Thanks Dave. Checked out your build thread, and you did a great job on your ride. After I posted this thread, I got a call from my builder stating they had to pull the doors and the bed to get some details handled. Then he said we could go any direction we wanted on color.
Now let the sleepless night begin.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
djgebert

I saw a 69' Camaro painted with the Rustoleum this past summer and it looked awesome. The guy told me that it was hard to keep water spots off of it until he applied some matte finish protector he bought off eBay, after that it was painless. He said he did it himself over two years ago and IMO it still looked perfect. It changed my opinion on using the Rustoleum. Hot Rod had an article on it a few years ago that you can probably google that shows how to do it, and after talking to the guy he said that it was that article that convinced him to do it. One thing for sure, you can't go any cheaper than using a gallon of Rustoleum!
djgebert is offline   Reply With Quote