The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

The Wood Shop

This topic came up on another thread here, so I'll start this thread to keep that one less off-track.

Here's a couple of tool chests I've made. The top one is quarter sawn white oak and used to hold my small wood carving tools. It was getting beat up in transport to and from class, so I retired it and it now holds some measuring and drafting tools. The big one holds my large carving tools and has 5 drawers as expansion space as I buy the ones I need. The bottom left drawer is for mallets, so it's deeper.
Attached Images

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: The Wood Shop

-
They both look good.

I plan on getting back into my wood working this spring. I want to make a few smaller display cases and I like making clocks.

Thanks for the picture.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
Killer Bee

very nice Steve!!!

grandpa was a german immigrant, wood carver and pattern maker, in the latter years carved gunstocks for fajens out of warsaw mo..

there's a boat load of old german steel carving tools and even his old gun bench

dad dabbled in a few things, we had a lathe, joiner, tablesaw, table sander, etc..

I dabbled a little too, made this in sophomore or junior year of hs, got a ribbon at show in cmsu warrensburg

hope to get back to it when I retire, nothing better than building things that work and fit!

made a pantry for my folks out of old grain truck tongue and groove flooring, mom still uses it every day!
Old 02-12-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
They both look good.

I plan on getting back into my wood working this spring. I want to make a few smaller display cases and I like making clocks.

Thanks for the picture.

LockDoc
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
very nice Steve!!!

grandpa was a german immigrant, wood carver and pattern maker, in the latter years carved gunstocks for fajens out of warsaw mo..

there's a boat load of old german steel carving tools and even his old gun bench

dad dabbled in a few things, we had a lathe, joiner, tablesaw, table sander, etc..

I dabbled a little too, made this in sophomore or junior year of hs, got a ribbon at show in cmsu warrensburg

hope to get back to it when I retire, nothing better than building things that work and fit!

made a pantry for my folks out of old grain truck tongue and groove flooring, mom still uses it every day!
Nice!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 02-12-2020, 11:32 PM   #5
kingsolver72
10/30/19

That’s some serious craftsmanship, tool chests and gun cabinet.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:00 AM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I thought about carving a stock for one of my carbines out of a walnut plank I have, but I bought it for the amazing figure and checkering or something I'm afraid would ruin it. Much as I like checkered stocks- they are so cool. I had an uncle who used to do it, and made some amazing gun stocks. He died in '68, so I have no pics.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 02-13-2020, 01:13 AM   #7
Killer Bee

not much from grandpa either.. one marlin 336 with some fine checkering and oak leaf..

I kept thinking I need to take it down for pictures when I'm back home but never did, yet..

mom asked him a few times about carving stocks for some of our guns and told her to call fajen..

Reinhardt came to his funeral and gave us this catalog display stock but he didn't even like it, but would carve whatever customers wanted..

he drew all his own art and patterns, got a cigar box full of layouts..

it belongs to some odd rem rolling block curved tang model.. also difficult to find matching forestock even if I could find the rifle..

Old 02-13-2020, 02:09 AM   #8
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
This topic came up on another thread here, so I'll start this thread to keep that one less off-track.

Here's a couple of tool chests I've made. The top one is quarter sawn white oak and used to hold my small wood carving tools. It was getting beat up in transport to and from class, so I retired it and it now holds some measuring and drafting tools. The big one holds my large carving tools and has 5 drawers as expansion space as I buy the ones I need. The bottom left drawer is for mallets, so it's deeper.
Man those are gorgeous! It definitely takes a plan, patience and time to build cabinet - furniture quality pieces like that. I am jealous.

Quote:
very nice Steve!!!

You built that in high school? Makes that laminated wood duck that i made in wood shop look like a piece of firewood! . That gun case is beautiful!

Quote:
not much from grandpa either.. one marlin 336 with some fine checkering and oak leaf..

I kept thinking I need to take it down for pictures when I'm back home but never did, yet..

mom asked him a few times about carving stocks for some of our guns and told her to call fajen..

Reinhardt came to his funeral and gave us this catalog display stock but he didn't even like it, but would carve whatever customers wanted..

it belongs to some odd rem rolling block curved tang model.. also difficult to find matching forestock even if I could find the rifle..

At the risk of removing all doubt that Im not a wood worker I have to ask. What is Oak Leaf? Is it an actual leaf carved into the stock?

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #9
Killer Bee

yes sir, absolutely right, oak leaf carving is just that, oak leaves..

lots of styles that use them, solid pattern, borders around game scenes or basket weave, etc. but something like this..

since I was kid when we leaved in the city house, I had the joy of watching him carve when we were out at the farm.. he didn't like people watching him but didn't seem to be bothered much by me, I could sit quietly and just watch him pick each chisel out of a hundred piled around his bench, made soft eloquent cuts that would develop into beautiful art right in front of my eyes.. he liked mixed nuts and cashews and would hand me some while I watched.. they didn't keep candy in the house but grandma would give me a little brown sugar in a bowl for sweets.. can still see him standing there studying his work order and the blank they sent him.. cardboard boxes around the bench and sometimes just shake his head for what they wanted.. his bench was in front of a window in their bedroom downstairs that would later be my bedroom.. I see him in front of his bench every time I look through those windows..
Old 02-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #10
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

The skills and patience you craftsmen have is amazing.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:29 AM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:

That gun stock is beautiful!

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 02-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Very nice job on the tool chests. So you start with making a place to keep the tools you used to make it. Good idea. I'm like others. I see myself in retirement spending time in the workshop. I hope to have separate woodshop and auto shops

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:09 PM   #13
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Very nice job on the tool chests. So you start with making a place to keep the tools you used to make it. Good idea. I'm like others. I see myself in retirement spending time in the workshop. I hope to have separate woodshop and auto shops
Thanks! My "wood shop" is a small part of a garage that has not had a vehicle parked in it since we moved in here (17 YA). Most of it is storage. I have about 80 square feet to work in. I bump into stuff when doing the wood working! No room for an auto shop at all. I'm going to have to put an engine in my truck at some point, and I don't even have a level driveway to do it in. I've changed engines and done complete K-member changes on vehicles in the street here. Fortunately the popo and the HoA don't care. If I could just win the lottery...though looking at homes in various parts of our city, I might be able to get a smaller house on a bigger lot in the older part of town and then could have those shops, or at least a "level" space off the street to do the work. California is crazy, but I'm not quite ready to move away from the rest of my family.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 02-13-2020, 11:56 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

My stationary tools are in my barn packed into one tight corner. I drag what I need out and set up shop on the slab outside. I love those days. But it has to be good weather. It's nice when I can set up and leave it a few days

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:47 AM   #15
'63GENIII

Quote:
yes sir, absolutely right, oak leaf carving is just that, oak leaves..

lots of styles that use them, solid pattern, borders around game scenes or basket weave, etc. but something like this..

since I was kid when we leaved in the city house, I had the joy of watching him carve when we were out at the farm.. he didn't like people watching him but didn't seem to be bothered much by me, I could sit quietly and just watch him pick each chisel out of a hundred piled around his bench, made soft eloquent cuts that would develop into beautiful art right in front of my eyes.. he liked mixed nuts and cashews and would hand me some while I watched.. they didn't keep candy in the house but grandma would give me a little brown sugar in a bowl for sweets.. can still see him standing there studying his work order and the blank they sent him.. cardboard boxes around the bench and sometimes just shake his head for what they wanted.. his bench was in front of a window in their bedroom downstairs that would later be my bedroom.. I see him in front of his bench every time I look through those windows..
That is unbelievable. It looks like some sort of laser etched work until you stop and think that those leaves were originally made longe before there was even the thought of a laser by human hands. Exceptionally gifted hands at that. Im sure that pictures don't do it justice but the story of your Grandfather helps get the point there.

That is art.

[QUOTE=Steeveedee;8678145]Thanks! My "wood shop" is a small part of a garage that has not had a vehicle parked in it since we moved in here (17 YA). Most of it is storage. I have about 80 square feet to work in. I bump into stuff when doing the wood working! No room for an auto shop at all. I'm going to have to put an engine in my truck at some point, and I don't even have a level driveway to do it in. I've changed engines and done complete K-member changes on vehicles in the street here. Fortunately the popo and the HoA don't care. If I could just win the lottery...though looking at homes in various parts of our city, I might be able to get a smaller house on a bigger lot in the older part of town and then could have those shops, or at least a "level" space off the street to do the work. California is crazy, but I'm not quite ready to move away from the rest of my family.[/QUOTE

Just goes to show ya don't need a huge shop to turn out some beautiful, quality pieces! I hear you on the shop space. Most of the auto work that I do is on a 30 deg. driveway. Has made for some interesting situations.

Im shooting for the lottery too. Don't need the Mega or Powerball - Im not greedy but it would be nice to have a little better place to wrench as I get a little older. Not ready to leave this circus of a state yet either.

Everyone I know is here.

Both of you guys do some amazing work!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:12 AM   #16
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I think that I just fell in love.

Yup. Pretty sure I did.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:09 AM   #17
Killer Bee

I need to make sure I clarify, that BL-22 wasn't the stock grandpa carved, just a picture I found to show some oak leaf..

maybe this summer I'll remember to take some pictures of dad's 336 with grandpa's work..

I do agree that is some nice work.. and tough to determine by hand or machine without seeing in person..

but one tell that used to be able to determine hand work in wood carving is undercutting, something machines couldn't do, at least years ago..
Old 02-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #18
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
That’s some serious craftsmanship, tool chests and gun cabinet.
If I had skills like that I wouldn't buy furniture.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #19
Killer Bee

finally took a few picture this last trip home..

this is the small wood shop we put together in the old chicken coop.. the old machines were stored in other buildings so we set them up in there.. the lathe table has a central motor underneath with a driveshaft the length of the table, just pull a belt on the machine you want to run.. the table saw and joiner also share a motor..

I even dabbled a little bit with the lathe but it was about 100 outside and who knows inside there.. this is definitely a winter hobby around here

Old 07-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #20
Killer Bee

which brings us to grandpa's gunstock carving bench that was in the house under a window in their bedroom that would later be my bedroom.. still see him in front of this bench every time I look out that window the table was covered in chisels piled three rows deep but they're all put away.. there would be a box or two leaning next to it with stocks waiting for him or waiting to be mailed back to Fajen's..

this is the only carved stock set we have from grandpa mounted on a gun.. this was dad's 1958 Marlin 336 .30-30, the middle one (top is a 1964 golden 39-a .22 and the bottom is a 1984 blr 81 .308) I was off on the oak leaf description, it's more of a scroll, been so long since I've held it.. finally took it back to the woods this trip and fired the rounds that were in it and wiped it off a little bit.. it's in desperate need of deep cleaning and wood preservation but still hanging in there..

Old 07-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #21
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

That's some fine carving on those stocks! And I'm loving that ancient band saw.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #22
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post

Nice work ,, looks real nice and some one if not many in your family I bet has dibs on it
Old 07-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #23
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
finally took a few picture this last trip home..

this is the small wood shop we put together in the old chicken coop.. the old machines were stored in other buildings so we set them up in there.. the lathe table has a central motor underneath with a driveshaft the length of the table, just pull a belt on the machine you want to run.. the table saw and joiner also share a motor..

I even dabbled a little bit with the lathe but it was about 100 outside and who knows inside there.. this is definitely a winter hobby around here

All the shop tables and shop tools are a step back in time look that really stands out.. and your work on the Monty Carlo decritive Rife stocks is amazing ,,well done Killer Bee
Old 07-20-2020, 03:45 PM   #24
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Nice work ,, looks real nice and some one if not many in your family I bet has dibs on it
Thanks!

I have three sons; the eldest and the youngest have no interest, but the middle one has worked with me on fixing up a car that he drove for many years. He'll be getting all the tools.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #25
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Speaking as someone who doesn't have the talent to carve a stick..... there's some incredible artwork in this thread. I am envious.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote