The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
76C10Stepside

89 S10 4.3 Need help troubleshooting TBI/IAC Idle issue

I could use some help troubleshooting a problem with my '89 S10 4.3 with model 220 throttle body injection. Engine has been running a little lean for the last year, idles a little funny. Suddenly started running very poorly, but no trouble codes. Rebuilt the TBI. It ran a lot better, but would stall suddently, or not want to start after being run. Several hours later, it starts right up, like it was flooded, but there is no strong gas smell. At idle, there is enough gas being sprayed to coat the butterfly valves, does not look like a lot to me. What does a normal spray pattern look like at idle?

Just replaced the fuel filter (gas looked clean). It's still not running right. Idles too fast, 2000 rpm when started cold, revs go up and down for awhile, then down to 1500 for awhile, then 1000, and finally 750, but is not idling smoothly.

Followed Step 10 in "Troubleshooting your TBI Fuel Injection System" (http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/tech...TBISystems.pdf) for when engine is revving up and down. I don't hear any sucking sounds, no loose vacuum lines. Again, no trouble codes. With key on, I hear a "clacking sound that I don't remember ever hearing before. When I pull the Idle Air Control (IAC) plug, the clacking stops, so it was the IAC (is that normal?). Then remove the jumper from ALDL connector (key still on), turn off for at least 15 seconds, and restart the engine. The engine refused to start. I sort of got it started by pumping the gas pedal, but it would not run. Not sure what to make of this. Plugged IAC back in, but engine still won't start/run. Again, no strong gas smell, but acts like it's flooded.

Another weird thing that started happening today is the oil pressure reading is very low at idle. The "oil can" even started flashing for a bit. Engine has a fresh oil/filter change and is topped up. This truck has the digital dash with the led bar readouts, and has been replaced once. Sometimes it acts up a little, but turning off and back on makes it work right again. This oil pressure thing kept up for numerous on/off while testing.

The only other thing is one of the rubber insulator things that go between the injector and the plug is missing, pretty sure it was missing when I got the truck, does not seem to affect running.

Not sure what to do next. Suggestions?

Last edited by 76C10Stepside; 08-03-2014 at 05:32 PM.
76C10Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
ChevyTech

Re: 89 S10 4.3 Need help troubleshooting TBI/IAC Idle issue

Check out these threads. Then post your thoughts.
I would check for problems in the order I posted the links.

I would think you replaced the base gasket under the TBI when you rebuilt the TBI, but if you didn’t you should of, it is a common spot for a vacuum leak.

High idle thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=439984

Coolant sensor testing specifications and instructions:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=379142

Fuel pump testing information; truck had split hose in tank-
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=375132
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
76C10Stepside

Thanks for the suggestions and links (had already read the IAC thread).

Yes, I did a full rebuild on the TBI using a kit for Rochester model 100, 200, 220 and 295 TBIs. Kit included new gaskets, injector filters and o-rings, and new pressure regulator. Kit did not include a new regulator dust seal. I tested the injectors using a D-cell battery (good). The kit diagram and instructions did NOT mention the idle air control (IAC)! IIRC, I removed it before cleaning the throttle body and installed a new paper gasket.

The symptom before I rebuilt the TBI was that at idle, the left bore was dry, and the right bore had a film of gas. When I tore it down, the only sign of dirt/debris was what looked like engine oil in the fuel meter body. I assumed this was oil vented from the crankcase.

Now, the IAC is making clicking sounds when ignition is turned on (engine not running and running). Does this sound like a dirty IAC?

The brakes work fine, so pretty sure brake booster diaphragm is not leaking.

Also tested the fan clutch recently (good), but it is engaged for cold starts and most of the time in general, only rarely disengages.

Coolant sensor: The temp reading has always stayed right on the normal mark, and still does, so i think it's good. Do you agree?

Fuel pump: After rebuilding the TBI, truck ran great on the test runs, great throttle response, and made good power (better than before).

Just went out and tried starting the engine again, and it fired right up, ran to 1800 rpm for 20-30 seconds, then down to 1200. The fact that it starts right up after sitting and today's very low oil pressure sounds to me like it's flooding. Do you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech View Post
Check out these threads. Then post your thoughts.
I would check for problems in the order I posted the links.

I would think you replaced the base gasket under the TBI when you rebuilt the TBI, but if you didn’t you should of, it is a common spot for a vacuum leak.

High idle thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=439984

Fuel pump testing information; truck had split hose in tank-
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=375132

Last edited by 76C10Stepside; 08-03-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
95 S_Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76C10Stepside View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and links (had already read the IAC thread).

Yes, I did a full rebuild on the TBI using a kit for Rochester model 100, 200, 220 and 295 TBIs. Kit included new gaskets, injector filters and o-rings, and new pressure regulator. Kit did not include a new regulator dust seal. I tested the injectors using a D-cell battery (good). The kit diagram and instructions did NOT mention the idle air control (IAC)! IIRC, I removed it before cleaning the throttle body and installed a new paper gasket.

The symptom before I rebuilt the TBI was that at idle, the left bore was dry, and the right bore had a film of gas. When I tore it down, the only sign of dirt/debris was what looked like engine oil in the fuel meter body. I assumed this was oil vented from the crankcase.

Now, the IAC is making clicking sounds when ignition is turned on (engine not running and running). Does this sound like a dirty IAC?

The brakes work fine, so pretty sure brake booster diaphragm is not leaking.

Also tested the fan clutch recently (good), but it is engaged for cold starts and most of the time in general, only rarely disengages.

Coolant sensor: The temp reading has always stayed right on the normal mark, and still does, so i think it's good. Do you agree?
Fuel pump: After rebuilding the TBI, truck ran great on the test runs, great throttle response, and made good power (better than before).

Just went out and tried starting the engine again, and it fired right up, ran to 1800 rpm for 20-30 seconds, then down to 1200. The fact that it starts right up after sitting and today's very low oil pressure sounds to me like it's flooding. Do you agree?
There are 2 coolant temp sensors. 1 for the gauge(on the drivers side cyl head.) and 1 For the PCM/ECM(close to the thermostat housing)
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
ChevyTech

Quote:
No
As trucker stated there is a separate sensor for the gauge and a different sensor for the coolant temp reading that the computer uses.

Quote:
All I get from this is that it sounds like the IAC still works at least some.

Quote:
I there is any difference, a dirty IAC is more quite.
After the engine is shut off, and before it is started, the IAC should open somewhat. This makes noise. The IAC is a stepper motor and uses short pulses of electricity on the wires to move its position. If the IAC does not open at all, the engine will usually “load up” or “flood”.

When you replace, remove and clean an IAC, or unplugged the IAC with the key on, the ECM may need to relearn the IAC position. This will not happen without driving the truck and meeting specific conditions or taking other steps the cause it to relearn the idle.
Quote:
The only way to know the fuel pressure is good is to test it. TBI trucks have no test port, which was a poor design choice by the Penney pinchers at General Motors.
The most noticeable symptom of low fuel pressure on TBI trucks is poor idle quality. The most common comment from an owner after a fuel pressure problem is fixed is "it has so much more power now".
Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
speedygonzales

Not being familiar with non-vortec 4.3's I have to ask if the FPR may be leaking? The vortec ones are notorious for that. Gives you poor performance and bad idle quality and it can effect the oil.

Does the oil smell like fuel or did it ever before?

Fuel contaminated oil would also give you the intermittent "oil can" light you spoke of earlier.

But again back to what someone said earlier to check the fuel pressure is the key to several questions.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
95 S_Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales View Post
Not being familiar with non-vortec 4.3's I have to ask if the FPR may be leaking? The vortec ones are notorious for that. Gives you poor performance and bad idle quality and it can effect the oil.

Does the oil smell like fuel or did it ever before?

Fuel contaminated oil would also give you the intermittent "oil can" light you spoke of earlier.

But again back to what someone said earlier to check the fuel pressure is the key to several questions.
The TBI fuel pressure regulator diaphragm is replaced when the TBI is rebuilt

This is what it looks like

Fuel On one side, Spring pressure and Vacuum on the other

95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
76C10Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
There are 2 coolant temp sensors. 1 for the gauge(on the drivers side cyl head.) and 1 For the PCM/ECM(close to the thermostat housing)
OK, thanks. Do you think this has anything to do with my problem?

==> Can anyone tell me if I should be able to see gas in the throttle bores at idle?

If not, it's flooding, but I don't know WHY. The pressure regulator does not leak gas when engine is not running.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
ChevyTech

Two of us (at least) think it could be a temperature sensor problem and that is why we mentioned it.

It is very common for the temp sensor to read the wrong resistance. You should test it.

When the engine is running there should always be fuel getting sprayed in the throttle bores. It should look equal on both sides. No fuel should drip out the injectors once the engine is turned off.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #10
76C10Stepside

I'd like to thank all who have offered me help so far!!!

Just confirmed that the oil is contaminated with gas. I could actually SEE gas on the dipstick, too! Dang, just changed the oil and filter a couple weeks ago. Since my problem is still not fixed, I don't want to change the oil/filter until I fix the cause (fingers crossed).

I installed a new FPR when I rebuilt the TBI. When I turn the key on, I hear the fuel pump cycle the normal amount, then total silence. When I replaced the fuel filter, there was still a TON of pressure in the lines. So the FPR is probably not leaking, right?

So, I guess testing the coolant temp sensor that feeds the computer is my next task.
Problem: Don't have a shop manual for this truck! So, here come the dumb questions...

Where is the sensor on this engine (4.3 Vortec with non-Vortec intake)?

Can I test it without removing it?

If I have to remove it, do I need to drain the system first?

How do I test it?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
ChevyTech

Quote:
I installed a new FPR when I rebuilt the TBI. When I turn the key on, I hear the fuel pump cycle the normal amount, then total silence. When I replaced the fuel filter, there was still a TON of pressure in the lines. So the FPR is probably not leaking, right?
Turn the key on, to built pressure, without cranking the engine, and look at the TBI unit to make sure no fuel is leaking from the injectors, regulator, or gaskets.

Quote:

So, I guess testing the coolant temp sensor that feeds the computer is my next task.
Problem: Don't have a shop manual for this truck! So, here come the dumb questions...

I posted a link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevytech
Here is another link:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...25&postcount=7

You could also search my username and coolant sensor.

Quote:
Where is the sensor on this engine (4.3 Vortec with non-Vortec intake)??
On the front of the intake by the thermostat housing.
Quote:
Can I test it without removing it?
Yes

Quote:
How do I test it?
With an ohm meter.
The instructions are in the links posted.

Does anyone look at the links I post???????
Old 08-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #12
76C10Stepside

Thanks, ChevyTech! Yes, I read the links. I'm just clueless, lol! ;-}
But seriously, hot weather and the worst allergies I've ever had are making it real hard to think/concentrate.

I found the post where you list the temp sensor approximate resistance for various temps. It's noon and 76 degrees F outside. I went out and found the temp sensor on the right cylinder head. Set my DVM to the 20000 ohm range and got .004. This looks to be about right, given the ambient temperature and using the closest two resistance value from your list:
332 ohms @ 176 deg. F. or 80 deg. C.
467 ohms @ 158 deg. F. or 70 deg. C.
There is no sign of corrosion or leaking on/around the sensor.

Then I turned the ignition on and checked for leaks and found none. The entire area in and around the TBI is totally dry and no sounds to indicate a leak inside.

What should I do next? I don't want to run the engine if I don't have to.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
ChevyTech

Quote:
I went out and found the temp sensor on the right cylinder head.
No, No!, NOOOOOOOOOO
That is not the sensor you should be testing!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76C10Stepside

Where is the sensor on this engine (4.3 Vortec with non-Vortec intake)??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevytech
On the front of the intake by the thermostat housing.
You better stop taking those allergy meds!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
76C10Stepside

According to my phone, it's 76 degrees F outside. The engine is COLD. My DVM is set to the 20k ohm range. The sensor on front of intake (for ECM) reads 005. For comparison, the OTHER sensor (for temp guage) reads 004.

What's the verdict? Is my ECT sensor BAD?
Old 08-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #15
76C10Stepside

Please ignore my last post and read this one (ran out of time to edit it)! I had the DVOM set to the wrong setting. Here are the CORRECT readings for both sensors (to see if they agree), both with outside temp of 76 degrees F:

ECT sensor: 3900 ohms
GUAGE sensor: 3670 ohms

The actual readouts were 3.90 and 3.67. I did the conversion to ohms on a scientific calculator by entering the readout value (3.90), then pressing the "Exp" button followed by the "3" button.

Your list of approximate sensor resistance specs says I should get 2796 ohms at 77 degrees F: 2796 ohms @ 77 deg. F. or 25 deg. C.

I'm not sure what this means. Are BOTH sensors bad? Did I do something wrong?
Old 08-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #16
ChevyTech

The engine will not warn up as quickly as the air does during the day.

The sensor readings look close enough.

Another test you can do is run the engine up to operating temperature (195), shut it off, and see what the resistance is when warm.

My guess is, the sensor is not the problem.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #17
76C10Stepside

Quote:
The engine will not warn up as quickly as the air does during the day.

The sensor readings look close enough.

Another test you can do is run the engine up to operating temperature (195), shut it off, and see what the resistance is when warm.

My guess is, the sensor is not the problem.
Thanks, ChevyTech. I was hoping all I needed was a new ECT sensor.
I would test the sensor with the engine at operating temp, but I have a crankcase full of gasoline. If I change the oil/filter now (so I can get it up to operating temp), it's just going to dump more gas in the sump. I don't have a thermometer or temp tester, or I would remove the sensor and test it in a pot of hot water on the stove. What would you do now if you were in my shoes?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #18
ChevyTech

The sensor is showing a resistance that is not far off. The engine should start and run they way it is supposed to with the reading you got from the sensor.

If the crankcase is getting fuel in it, there is another problem. Could the fuel have gotten into the crankcase before you did the TBI work and maybe you already fixed the problem like fuel leaking from the TBI?

The sensor can be good, but if the wiring to it is bad, the computer will get bad data.

Resistance on the wire, or wire connections, will cause the computer to think it is colder, so more fuel gets injected.

If the ground wires have resistance the same thing can happen. The most important grounds are the ground wires at the front of the intake near the thermostat or manifold studs.

The TBI trucks don't leak fuel into the oil like the central port injected trucks do. I would change the oil, because if that much fuel is getting in the oil, it should be obvious if you look at the TBI with it running.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #19
76C10Stepside

Quote:
The sensor is showing a resistance that is not far off. The engine should start and run they way it is supposed to with the reading you got from the sensor.
It's been one weird thing after another. It ran great for the last year, then all of a sudden...

Quote:
If the crankcase is getting fuel in it, there is another problem. Could the fuel have gotten into the crankcase before you did the TBI work and maybe you already fixed the problem like fuel leaking from the TBI?
Definitely not. Or, maybe I should say, "not to my knowledge". :-\

After rebuilding the TBI, it started right up and ran GREAT. I was on the way to get gas, and it died about a mile down the road. Thought it was empty, but when I added 2 gallons of gas, it would not start. Came back next morning and it fired right up, but died again as I was backing into my parking spot at home. I didn't even smell gas until I went to warm it up to run tests. This is when the crankcase started filling with gas, and the oil pressure dropped WAY down. I was worried, about that, but let it run for awhile, trying to get it up to operating temp.

Quote:
The sensor can be good, but if the wiring to it is bad, the computer will get bad data.
This seems unlikely on this particular truck. It was well cared for all its life (except for being parked outside). All the wires and connectors look great, no corrosion anywhere.

Quote:
Resistance on the wire, or wire connections, will cause the computer to think it is colder, so more fuel gets injected.

If the ground wires have resistance the same thing c an happen. The most important grounds are the ground wires at the front of the intake near the thermostat or manifold studs.
That's one I didn't know and haven't checked yet. Will check these.

I replaced the starter and the battery right after rebuilding the TBI, because I couldn't get it to start and the battery tested "good" (but it was bad), so I replaced the starter first (it was an old rebuilt and was rusty anyway). I also removed and cleaned the battery ground wire at the engine (it was fine).

Quote:
The TBI trucks don't leak fuel into the oil like the central port injected trucks do. I would change the oil, because if that much fuel is getting in the oil, it should be obvious if you look at the TBI with it running.
Good to know that the TBIs don't leak that way!

Yes, you would think it would be obvious, but it's not and I don't know why! This is why I asked how much gas I should be seeing with engine idling. BEFORE I rebuilt the TBI, I could see a thin coating of gas on one butterfly, and the other one looked DRY. At that time, the truck was running too lean and never flooded, EVER.

After rebuilding the TBI, there was a thin coating of gas on the bores and butterfly valves, but I could not see the injectors actually SPRAY gas while engine was idling. Note I said "idling". Did not check for spray at higher RPM because all hell broke loose before I could get to that.

Thanks for not giving up on me yet! I really need this truck back on the road. My other driver got wrecked last month (not my fault).

Would it help to take pictures and post them? Should I test the Idle Air Control? Is it time to dismantle the TBI again? Should I get the injectors tested by a qualified shop? Seems like the ONLY possibilities are a) Injectors are dumping too much gas in the engine (reason still TBD), or b) Gas is LEAKING into the engine from somewhere (besides the injectors).

When I replaced the fuel filter, I didn't cycle the fuel pump to relieve the pressure. First I disconnected the fuel hose between tank and filter. Then I disconnected the incoming fuel line from the TBI, and not much more gas dribbled out. Then I started disconnecting the outgoing fuel line (return line for when there's too much pressure), and it just kept on leaking and leaking gas. I finally gave up and tightened it back up again. Does this tell you anything? Is there any way that a plugged up return line could result in gas being dumped into the engine?
Old 08-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #20
ChevyTech

Quote:
Would it help to take pictures and post them?
Sometimes a photo helps save a lot of time. I have noticed people had plugged the EGR vent port by looking at photos they posted. That is something people don't find even if I ask them about the EGR vent port.
Quote:
Should I test the Idle Air Control?
If the IAC does not work it can cause and engine to load up, or flood, when it is started. You should not have to hold the gas pedal down to start a fuel injected engine. If you have to on a TBI engine it is a good indication there is a IAC problem.
Quote:
Is it time to dismantle the TBI again?
My biggest worry about people working on the TBI unit is that the aluminum is very thin in the area of the bottom of the injectors and can crack if injectors are forced into the housing without putting lubricant on the o-rings. Also the o-rings can get damaged when the injector are installed. This is why I ask people to turn on the key so the fuel pump runs and watch the injectors for dripping fuel.

Quote:
Should I get the injectors tested by a qualified shop?
Injector failure is not all that common. There are rarely the cause if the TBI sprays to much fuel.
Quote:
Seems like the ONLY possibilities are a) Injectors are dumping too much gas in the engine (reason still TBD), or b) Gas is LEAKING into the engine from somewhere (besides the injectors).
On the TBI trucks there is no fuel pump on the engine to rupture and leak fuel into the oil. There are not fuel lines or a regulator under the plenum that could leak without being seen. Just look at the TBI for fuel leaks.

Quote:
When I replaced the fuel filter, I didn't cycle the fuel pump to relieve the pressure. First I disconnected the fuel hose between tank and filter. Then I disconnected the incoming fuel line from the TBI, and not much more gas dribbled out. Then I started disconnecting the outgoing fuel line (return line for when there's too much pressure), and it just kept on leaking and leaking gas. I finally gave up and tightened it back up again. Does this tell you anything? Is there any way that a plugged up return line could result in gas being dumped into the engine?
What you have said is not real clear to me.

If the fuel return line, FROM THE TBI TO THE FUEL TANK, gets plugged, the fuel pressure will go to high, unless there is another problem, like a weak pump or split hose in the fuel tank. This problem does happen, but is not common.

Removing the fuel filters that GM put under the vehicle is a messy job. Often fuel will keep running out until the new filter is installed and tightened. Keep trouble lights away from the vehicle for safety reasons.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #21
76C10Stepside

Quote:
Sometimes a photo helps save a lot of time. I have noticed people had plugged the EGR vent port by looking at photos they posted. That is something people don't find even if I ask them about the EGR vent port.
Please see 5 attached photos.

Quote:
If the IAC does not work it can cause and engine to load up, or flood, when it is started. You should not have to hold the gas pedal down to start a fuel injected engine. If you have to on a TBI engine it is a good indication there is a IAC problem.
Before I rebuilt the TBI, I had to crank it longer than normal when cold, and the throttle was sluggish from idle. Sure this was due to it running lean (one injector was not spraying at idle).

After rebuilting the TBI, it would start right up and had great throttle response at all engine RPMs. But the first time I drove it, it died less than a mile down the road. It did this a couple more times. No smell of gas though!

I wanted to drop the tank, inspect/flush the tank and the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter, but when I disconnected the fuel lines, the gas that ran out was clean. So I decided to just replace the fuel filter. Note that in the photos, there is a short rubber line with two clamps on each end between the tank and the fuel filter. It was like that when I got the truck. I checked all of the rubber hoses, and all are in excellent condition.

I disconnected that short rubber line first and plugged it off and let the gas run out of the filter end of the line (only a constant dribble, not a stream). When I loosened the SECOND fuel line fitting to TBI body (the one on the LEFT side), there was a lot of pressure, and gas kept leaking out onto the back of the intake manifold, and down onto the ground. I used rags to soak up the gas, but it kept on coming, so I tightened the fitting again to stop the flow.

I'm starting to wonder if the gas that leaked out of the fitting could have worked its way into the crankcase? The only thing on that end of the intake manifold that I think could have let the gas in is the DISTRIBUTOR, which of course leads to the crankcase. Could this be how the gas got into the crankcase?

Before the gas leaked out at the TBI body/fitting, the engine was acting like it was flooded (would stall, then would not start until I let it sit for a few hours), BUT, there was no smell of gas, and the injectors were not visible SQUIRTING gas. So, maybe it was not flooding, but something else at that time.

Quote:
My biggest worry about people working on the TBI unit is that the aluminum is very thin in the area of the bottom of the injectors and can crack if injectors are forced into the housing without putting lubricant on the o-rings. Also the o-rings can get damaged when the injector are installed. This is why I ask people to turn on the key so the fuel pump runs and watch the injectors for dripping fuel.

Injector failure is not all that common. There are rarely the cause if the TBI sprays to much fuel.
The injectors did not drip fuel before OR after I rebuilt the TBI. However, before rebuilding the TBI, I took the injectors out, inspected them for dirt and tested them using a D-cell battery, and cleaned the TBI with carb cleaner (left the body mounted to the intake). When I went to put the injectors back in, I found that the two o-rings for the left injector had swollen up in circumference (but not diameter) and would no longer fit, so I bought two new o-rings that were CLOSE to the same size, but that injector dribbled gas (just ran engine long enough to note the dribble), so I bought a rebuild kit and started over. Since rebuilding the TBI properly, there have been NO drips.

Quote:
On the TBI trucks there is no fuel pump on the engine to rupture and leak fuel into the oil. There are not fuel lines or a regulator under the plenum that could leak without being seen. Just look at the TBI for fuel leaks.
I assume the short rubber line before the fuel filter is a modification. My dad had this truck serviced its whole life (first 20 years, anyway). Last few years, it sat except when I visited him and drove it. Since the fuel pump is low pressure (for FI), and there have been zero drips/issues with the rubber hose, I assume this is not a problem.

Quote:
What you have said is not real clear to me.

If the fuel return line, FROM THE TBI TO THE FUEL TANK, gets plugged, the fuel pressure will go to high, unless there is another problem, like a weak pump or split hose in the fuel tank. This problem does happen, but is not common.

Removing the fuel filters that GM put under the vehicle is a messy job. Often fuel will keep running out until the new filter is installed and tightened. Keep trouble lights away from the vehicle for safety reasons.
Do you think I should check the return line out? Which side is it on on the TBI, right or left. I thought it was LEFT (read that somewhere), but now I'm not sure. I have a canopy on the bed and no easy way to prop the bed up to get to the top of the gas tank. Have read that it's difficult to drop the tank due to the short fittings on top of it, and that unbolting and raising the bed is the better way to get to the fittings on the top of the tank. But my truck has a canopy that would make lifting the bed very difficult (no way to rig a hoist).
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #22
ChevyTech

The only unusual thing I notice with your photos, other then the rubber injector grommets on the wire connectors are missing, is they are upside down.

Your truck has a “Port EGR Valve/ System” and you may want to make note of this for future reference. If you ever want to buy an EGR valve they will most likely try to sell you the wrong type.

The return line is smaller diameter and is to the passenger side of the supply line.

Test the fuel pressure. If the pressure is good with the engine running then the return line should be open.

The rubber hose and clamps on the fuel supply line between the tank and the fuel filter are NOT factory.

Lifting the bed is the method I prefer, rather than dropping the tank.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #23
76C10Stepside

Quote:
The only unusual thing I notice with your photos, other then the rubber injector grommets on the wire connectors are missing, is they are upside down.
Yeah, sorry about the upside down pics. My computer displays them right side up automatically.

The left grommet is missing. AFAIK, it was gone when I got the truck. Napa will sell me a whole new plug with wires and grommet (for $$$), but not just the grommet. How important is the grommet?

Quote:
Your truck has a “Port EGR Valve/ System” and you may want to make note of this for future reference. If you ever want to buy an EGR valve they will most likely try to sell you the wrong type.
Good to know. I'll make a note of it.

Quote:
The return line is smaller diameter and is to the passenger side of the supply line.
You're right, the supply line is almost 1/16th inch bigger (OD). So, when I replaced the fuel filter, I disconnected the return line first, then the supply line, which leaked a bunch o' gas. I suspect that the flooding was due to the gas from the supply line leaking down through the distributor shaft, in which case, my original post-TBI-rebuild problem was probably NOT flooding, but something else.

Quote:
Test the fuel pressure. If the pressure is good with the engine running then the return line should be open.
Will do! Need to get a test tee that works with my pressure guage first. My guage has a small rubber hose on a small barbed fitting, and reads up to 70 PSI. Looks like that non-original section of fuel hose is the best place to tie in.

Quote:
The rubber hose and clamps on the fuel supply line between the tank and the fuel filter are NOT factory.
I wonder why someone did that... BTW, the old fuel filter did not have any restrictions in it.

Quote:
Lifting the bed is the method I prefer, rather than dropping the tank.
How do you prop the bed up when you do it? I don't think 2x4s will work with the canopy mounted, and I have no place to park the canopy.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #24
ChevyTech

The missing grommet is not important. I would just grab one at the U-Pull-It or run without it.

The rubber hose added to your truck would be an easy place to test fuel pressure.

In a shop setting, a guy on each corner works well to lift the box and move it back. I have seen photos of people using a cherry picker to lift the whole box off.

I don't like 2x4s and things that can fall.

If you have a strong garage, some rope up to the rafters works well for removing toppers and boxes.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #25
76C10Stepside

Quote:
The missing grommet is not important. I would just grab one at the U-Pull-It or run without it.
Thanks!

Quote:
The rubber hose added to your truck would be an easy place to test fuel pressure.
I did the fuel pressure test by connecting the guage directly to this hose (no test tee), key on, engine off. Note that in the attached photo of my guage, that the positive pressure scale only goes to 10 PSI. The needle reached the 10 on the VACUUM scale, which is where the 16 PSI mark would be if there was one. I read that fuel pressure should be 9-13 PSI. This fuel pump was in the truck when I got it, and probably a lot longer (maybe original), and I'd guess that it has always output this amount of pressure. Is the 16 PSI reading GOOD or BAD?

I also know that it holds the pressure for a long time after shutoff, because when I replaced the fuel filter, it had been sitting overnight and still had (lots of) pressure when I loosened the supply line.

What should I do next? Flush the supply line? OR...

Quote:
In a shop setting, a guy on each corner works well to lift the box and move it back. I have seen photos of people using a cherry picker to lift the whole box off.

I don't like 2x4s and things that can fall.

If you have a strong garage, some rope up to the rafters works well for removing toppers and boxes.
No helpers, and the rafters in my garage are covered with wallboard.
Since the gas from the lines looks clean, do you think I need to drop the tank for inspection?
Attached Images