The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #376
Braunschweiger

Re: The English are coming! Or..another C10 in the Motherland.

It turned out great, many have no idea what a lot of patience it is to build an exhaust.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:46 PM   #377
UK62LW

Great work Paul, really enjoying this!

1962 Chevy C20
1974 Ford Econoline
1987 Peugeot 205 GTi
1991 Peugeot 205 GTi
UK62LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:19 PM   #378
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
Some of you might have a feeling of Deja Vu....

The last time we left the saga it was on the realisation that I would need some flexies in my exhaust.

4" of eBay special....

Aaaaannnnnd... installed.

NEXT!

Relocate the battery to the rear.

Why?

Well there is a Tuuuurrrbbboooo going to be residing where the battery currently lives at some point in the near future PLUS weight distribution.

I did look at buying a tray but then looked at what I had and decided I would see what I could cobble together from the original tray and the one from my 56 - nostalgia....

The tray from Woody was a bit rotten, the one from my 56 was remarkably solid so...

Drill drill...

Bend bend...

Blast blast...

Paint paint...

Pictures of the finished item later.

Whilst I had the blast cabinet out...

Not a show truck.....

Next was to run the battery cables to the new location and make up the ends.

Measure up, use my posh box of shrink wrap

And then use this bit of wonderfulness, after a recommendation by Dez, which was a massive game changer in how easy it was to make up these and future big cables.

Next step was to wash all the grime and muck that had accumulated and...shock horror... apply a coating of Autoglyme polish to add another layer of protection and further proof of non show carness.

Yup. Looks quite good.

With that completed fitted up the battery tray and cables, threw in an old battery to double check fitment and temporarily fitted the rear bumper to make sure there was no interference. Pretty sure that I am going to end up building some more protection around the battery to protect it from rubber etc.... But that is tomorrow Paul's problem.

And with that, the chassis is 99.9% done. There are a few odds and ends to tidy up, a package from MT65 with the missing handbrake components (thanks Mike!) torque the suspension up and finish the exhaust when the bed is back on etc but there was no reason that I couldn't put the cab back on.

So that's what I did.

Ta Da!

So with that I am back to where I was a few months ago but this time it is final assembly rather than checking it all fits.

Next step is to write the long list of stuff that needs to be completed but will comprise of a small repair to the drivers door, completely stripping the interior so that it can be painted and put together with the new loom, insulation and nice interior etc.

Sure that is only the first 3 things on a list of millions....

So, with that little update all that needs to be said is...

ONWARDS!

P.

And as if by magic…….

A ton of work has been done.

Great stuff Paul.

Grizz1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:09 PM   #379
pdxhall

Nice progress on your truck. Great work.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:54 AM   #380
88Stanger

Damn brother, that thing is looking AWESEOME!!! Great job!!! ya, you are smoking me... I am not sure I will be done this year... I have a tendency to take too much time on some things, more than maybe I should. But you are doing a great job!!
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:50 AM   #381
Grizz1963

Fill the swear box this weekend Paul?

I almost did, but walked away instead.

Trust you got some cool stuff done.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:49 AM   #382
Paul Y

Not quite sure when Woody's revival turned into a restoration but going to have to knock that on the head pronto!

So, what have I been up to for the past month? Lots of bits really, but all moving in the right direction. Actually lots of little bits as I wait for Jay the Spring Slasher's diary to free up and come and help with throwing a bit more paint on things.

First off I made a list.

On cardboard.

Just like all the YouTubers do. You know. Cool.

Realised I didn't have enough cardboard so created a list on my PC and printed it off - still had to add some things however....

And there are some more to be added but, pleased to say, I crossed a few things off.

First things first, a little tidy up on the front accessory mount and fitting the belt - picture instead here so I have the number saved if I need another one

Next job was to strip out the remaining detritus from the cab along with the HVAC - made a nice pile on the floor of the garage....

Which resulted in this.

Leading to...

Hell Fire! the paint was baked hard onto the dashboard - took several days of 30 minutes here and there to get it stripped along with firewall and under the dash. Interesting bit was the lack of paint under the dash - quick rub down to get rid of the surface rust and threw a coat of Vatican on there to seal things up.

Next!

A session in the blaster got the pedal box and fresh air vents all sparkly.

Psssssttttt....Psssssttttttttt.....Psssssssssssssssttttt....

And fully rebuilt with fresh grease bushing etc. - just need to invest in some new pedal rubbers.

ONWARDS!!!

Door off.

Quick stab with my trusty screwdriver showed the extent of the rust on the bottom of the drivers door

Not bad...

Cut cut.

Bend, bend.

Stick,stick, grind, grind...

Little more massaging to do but I am getting better at this metal stuff. PLUS it is on the bottom of the door so nobody will see it... Result!

Stripped the paint off the door and wondered at the marvel that was the hole for the speakers... sensational.....

What's next then....

Let's get the hole for the shifter in the right place shall we.

Cut, Cut.

Swap,swap

Glue, glue

Approved.

Thankfully that brings me up to date. Next job is to finish stripping the passenger door, paint under the dash, epoxy the firewall along with some seam sealing and start to lay out the loom ahead of painting the cab. Hopefully it will not be a month until the next update but......you never know.....

Until the next time dear readers....

ONWARDS!!!

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...

Last edited by Paul Y; 06-16-2022 at 09:55 AM.
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:52 PM   #383
Braunschweiger

You made a small hill out of a big mountain of work, great.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
Old 06-16-2022, 02:58 PM   #384
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
You made a small hill out of a big mountain of work, great.
Well said.

Nice job Paul.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:40 AM   #385
Paul Y

Thanks to a member of another forum I proudly present this weeks edition of Woody's Round up!

I am at the stage where there is a little of bits that have to be done but there doesn't appear to be any major forward movement - frustrating to say the least...

A tip I was given many years ago was to paint under the dash white so that when you are laying on your back gazing into the abyss you can actually see what you are doing.

So that's what I did.

Quick rub down to get rid of the surface rust and a quick coat of that Vactan stuff resulted in this.

And looked like this after I had hit it with the left over spray can of high build and white.

Not perfect but just right for the intended purpose. I have done this on the last 3 cars I put together and it really works - would recommend

Next was to remove the passenger door as there were a few pin holes in the bottom of the door in the same place as the drivers side.

Not too bad but after cutting out where the metal had got a bit thin I discovered that the bottom of the door was packed with dirt. Not the end of the world until I discovered a huge lump of filler intermingled with Californias finest forestry dirt - which it turn manifested into this....

Oh dear....

Lets zip that out then shall we.

The offending article.

I am in no way a bodywork guy but, as I had a big hole where metal used to be, now was the time to see if my skills had improved over the past couple of years.

First thing was to select a part of the lunar landscape that was Woodys damaged bed side which could be repurposed.

More by luck than good judgement there was one bit that had no damage which was about the right size.

(never throw anything away kids!)

Before sticking it in I cut out a dodgy looking bit of the door frame and threw a coat of weld through primer on it.

Then took a big deep breath and stuck it in (Narf,Narf)

Now, some of you will have read elsewhere that I was having trouble with my welder - thankfully my elderly father fixed it for me - but something was not quite right with the welds after the repair. I thought it was because of the water I was using to stop warping, which worked very well, but after I had completed the repair I discovered that Pops had taken the wire guide wheel off and had not tightened it down fully on reassembly meaning the wire was not feeding at a constant rate.

My fault, should have checked it but meant the weld was not as good as I would have liked. However, it is in - I am not metal finisher and a skim of Glen Miller will sort that right out.

To my surprise there was no distortion and it fitted in nicely. Maybe not such a surprise when you consider it was at an edge but I will take that.

A bit of improvisation with angle iron, mole grips and assorted hammers....

Resulted in this.

Which I am reasonably happy with.

It was also where my phone run out of battery charge so no more picture - Phew I hear the collective sigh....

Hopefully next stage will be to throw some paint on but that is down to Jay the Spring Slashers time schedule.

So, until the next time.

ONWARDS!

P.

Last edited by Paul Y; 06-22-2022 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:33 PM   #386
88Stanger

fantastic job sir! keep up the great work!!!
I am STILL cleaning up my shop... also organizing everything because I know what I am about to get myself into... lol
Hey, I am getting that same Hydraulic crimper you got to do my ends also. Thanks for passing on the info that someone else pass to you...
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:28 AM   #387
Braunschweiger

Great work, I like it

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
Old 06-23-2022, 10:37 AM   #388
Grizz1963

Are we there yet?

I know it will be soon.

https://youtu.be/ucVmsET4BFw
Old 06-29-2022, 01:40 PM   #389
ibrown50

I've been on the forum much recently so it was great catching up with your build, great work and great progress. Isn't it amazing how they all have the same rot
Old 06-29-2022, 03:45 PM   #390
Paul Y

Indeed Ian.

After a little more investigation it appears that the hole is damage from hitting something in Woodys previous life out in the forest of California.

Probably didn't help that the wound was stuffed with dirt as well as filler!

P.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #391
Paul Y

Volume 3 of Woody's round up where I moan a bit, generally get curse word off with everything, decide if a better hobby would be knitting and generally have a total lack of enthusiasm.

So... With that out of the way let's get on with it shall we.

When I left you last time I had thought that the days of chopping out bits of rot and glueing in replacements was behind me and I could get on with the stuff I actually enjoy. You know, driving and vulcanising rubber.

The standards.

To get to this nirvana I had to throw some epoxy primer on the inside of the cab so that Jay The Spring Slasher could drop over and put on some colour.

Before I go any further I am going to let you into the inner workings of my smooth brain here as, I am sure many of you will be asking, 'Paint?"

I did mention this before but my thinking for Woody has been a sort of Poor Mans Derelict - a homage to the dedicated team over at Icon but done on a fraction of the budget by a monkey in a shed. You get the idea.

To that end I want to make the inside as nice as I possibly can - all new rubbers, sound insulation, new carpet, paint and a cost effective audio solution. The seat is in rather good condition but I will eventually get this redone in a combination of leather and hounds tooth or pasha along with the door panels. You know. Nice.

Outside is going to stay as it is as I am not spending another fortune on paint and body work. No Sir.

Anyway, back to my current state of Blah.

As I was sweeping out the interior, hoovering and generally clearing up I noticed a small hole on the drinkers side A pillar right at the bottom. Not noticed it before but with my new work light there it was for all to see.

Ok. Let me give that a gentle dig with my faithful screw driver.

Oh dear.....

Oh dear indeed.....

Oh for goodness sake.....

How this all got in there I have no idea bit after using my Mouse Sucker 4000 I extracted the rest of the detritus, gave it a quick coat of that Vactan stuff and then a coat of Zinc primer before sticking a bit of replacement tin back in the hole.

Not my finest work but its in and solid.

The extra hole at the top is where I had to add another bit of metal as I didn't cut the original hole big enough and there was still some weakness there when I was welding it up.

Now this brings me onto what is probably one of my biggest faults during this whole 'build'. I don't cut out enough metal when making a repair. This then leads to me having several smaller repairs rather than one big one.

Which causes me more work. And it looks a bit pants.

Anyway.

I have now, FINALLY, at the point where I can put away the welder for a few weeks and start the next part of the process, masking.

Great....

Dash and doors jams masked.

Question for those masochist amongst us that actually enjoy this sort of thing. How do you mask up the windows and rubbers?

The rear window rubber is a bit old and hard as my first thought was to lever it up and put the tape under it and then pull it over the rubber before using masking paper (does that make sense?)

What is the right way - or the easiest way to do this.

Mmmm... The picture highlights that a little more rubbing down is required...

Anyway. Still urinated off but would appreciate thoughts on the masking.

Until the next time.

ONWARDS!!!!

P.

Old 08-14-2022, 01:34 PM   #392
FamilyTruckster65

If the seal is still pliable enough you can use string trimmer line or such to hold the lip up so you have a soft paint line.
FamilyTruckster65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:04 PM   #393
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTruckster65 View Post
If the seal is still pliable enough you can use string trimmer line or such to hold the lip up so you have a soft paint line.
Unfortunately the rubber is very hard, however it has been suggested that I try rope or power cable under the rubber so might give your option a whirl!

Thanks for the suggestion, it is appreciated.

P.

Old 08-14-2022, 04:32 PM   #394
Grizz1963

Nice glassless Terarium there Paul.

Not sure if it will work, but I was taught 33 years ago by a syndicate car thief to change colours on a car, you lift the glass rubbers, tuck in some,twin core flex and mask, tucking the masking tape in under the rubber, and painting in under the rubber…….

It worked on a 63 Beetle I changed colour on.

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread...esto-long-time

Good luck with that.
Old 09-16-2023, 12:54 PM   #395
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post

56 was always my favorite tri-five.
So many ooh'd over the 57, but I thought it was a little over done. The 56 had the perfect balance.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote