The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
JFORRESTERSR

Turbo 400 transfer case speedo housing issue

Good Afternoon all

So i have been fighting a trans issues with my 72 k5 for a year now and we are on our 2nd tranny now. heres the latest I am leaking gear lube from the speedo housing from both sides were it connects tot the transfer case and where the speedo cable connects. I ordered a new speedo housing from ECKLERS back an feb and still have no ship date. So I started looking around our forums here and found a place called transmissioncenter.net I called them and they said if I have leaking fluid its a problem with the transfer case because fluid doesn't go into the housing theres only grease in there for the gears. Called my trans guy he said it does have fluid going through it and it needs new gaskets.......WTF
I am going insane with this guy but I am financially stuck dealing with him
anyone know whos right.
much appreciated
JFORRESTERSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:12 PM   #2
SeventyOne

Re: Turbo 400 transfer case speedo housing issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFORRESTERSR View Post
Good Afternoon all

So i have been fighting a trans issues with my 72 k5 for a year now and we are on our 2nd tranny now. heres the latest I am leaking gear lube from the speedo housing from both sides were it connects tot the transfer case and where the speedo cable connects. I ordered a new speedo housing from ECKLERS back an feb and still have no ship date. So I started looking around our forums here and found a place called transmissioncenter.net I called them and they said if I have leaking fluid its a problem with the transfer case because fluid doesn't go into the housing theres only grease in there for the gears. Called my trans guy he said it does have fluid going through it and it needs new gaskets.......WTF
I am going insane with this guy but I am financially stuck dealing with him
anyone know whos right.
much appreciated
Your description of where it's leaking is a little confusing. I think you're saying it's leaking where the speedo housing threads into the Tcase, and also leaking past the internal seal on the other side.

Sounds like all the leaks are from the rear output area and where the speedo cable thread in? See pics:
Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 10.08.12 AM.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  20.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7880.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  66.4 KB

Is this the "speedo housing" you bought?
https://torqueking.com/product/30091...chevy-and-gmc/

I just bought one from them in January. So they should have them in stock. be sure you also get the internal seal and o-ring.

That took care of my leak at the speedo cable.

Where else are you seeing leaks? You mention the transmission a lot but that would have nothing to do with Tcase leaks...
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:00 PM   #3
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Agree. I just fixed a leak at my tcase in that location with the O-ring and speedo gear sleeve from Torque King.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:18 AM   #4
JFORRESTERSR

There is gear lube on the Speedo cable itself
As if it’s being forced through the housing
Old 04-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #5
SeventyOne

Quote:
There is gear lube on the Speedo cable itself
As if it’s being forced through the housing
There is a small seal that goes INSIDE the speedo housing. If that is deteriorated or missing fluid will leak through the inside of the housing and possibly up into the cable as you describe.

The other seal on the housing is the o-ring which seals the threads.

Both of those seals I mentioned in my first reply and can be seen on the link I provided.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:47 AM   #6
JFORRESTERSR

So I did order and install the new speedo housing adaptor
but I am still leaking through the speedo housing
but i am thinking it my be comin g from the side that screws tot the housing nut on the transfer case. When took it a part there was 2 orings (a black one and green one) and a star washer inside the nut it didnt look right to me, as if someone was trying to stop the leak so I reassembled it with any orings or washers
And I can find any assy breakdown online. Should there be an oring inside the nut?
Old 04-18-2021, 06:55 PM   #7
SeventyOne

Quote:
So I did order and install the new speedo housing adaptor
but I am still leaking through the speedo housing
but i am thinking it my be comin g from the side that screws tot the housing nut on the transfer case. When took it a part there was 2 orings (a black one and green one) and a star washer inside the nut it didnt look right to me, as if someone was trying to stop the leak so I reassembled it with any orings or washers
And I can find any assy breakdown online. Should there be an oring inside the nut?
please click this link and look at the picture.
https://torqueking.com/product/30091...chevy-and-gmc/

That should be the only O-ring in the speed0 cable assembly.

Did you replace the seal that goes INSIDE the speedo nut/housing?

You can see better pictures here:

https://www.motorcityk5.com/i-13102-...=category:9415

If none of this is where your leak is coming from please post pics because it's hard to tell what parts you're talking about.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:17 PM   #8
JFORRESTERSR

There was a New seal and oring in the new adapter that screws into the transfer case

That should be the only O-ring in the speed0 cable assembly.

Did you replace the seal that goes INSIDE the speedo nut/housing?

You can see better pictures here:

https://www.motorcityk5.com/i-13102-...=category:9415

If none of this is where your leak is coming from please post pics because it's hard to tell what parts you're talking about.[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2021, 09:22 PM   #9
JFORRESTERSR

I don’t think I can’t submit pics

I refer to the housing as the part that one side screws to the adapter in the transfer case and the speedometer cable screws to the other side
That’s where it’s leaking from there is gear lube on the square part between each side
Someone submitted a picture further up the post of the housing and then you can see the nut that goes into the transfer case the square part in the middle is where I’m having gear lube leak from I don’t think it’s coming from the split I think it’s coming from the nut part the threads to the transfer case adapter give me a heads up how to post some pictures and I will post them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2021, 11:26 PM   #10
SeventyOne

Quote:
I don’t think I can’t submit pics

I refer to the housing as the part that one side screws to the adapter in the transfer case and the speedometer cable screws to the other side
That’s where it’s leaking from there is gear lube on the square part between each side
Ok you're talking about the Stewart Warner speedometer ratio adapter. I am not sure how those seal but I do know where you can get a new one:

https://speedometercablesusa.com/gear_box_adapters.html

Maybe someone else can tell you how those seal or how to re-seal it.

Just want to ask again - did you replace the seal that goes inside the "nut" that threads into the transfer case? If you havent then that's likely how youre getting gear oil into the speedo adapter unit.

Last edited by SeventyOne; 04-19-2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:14 PM   #11
JFORRESTERSR

So after all the leaking issues and replacing the adapter sleeve and adding orings and so on. The light bulb went off. ding ding ding
the issue is not the adapter or the adapter sleeve the issue is the speedometer gear coming out of the transfer case. Its the only thing that has not been changed and yet i still have the same issue.
So can anyone tell me where i could possibly get a new speedo gear.
and it just basically sits in sit the transfer case, is that correct or should there be some sort of retaining

on a side note I am looking at replacing the transfer case with a zumbrota rtc205g they are saying its a direct replacement does anyone have any experience with them

thanks again all for the help and support