The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
cartoys

1965 C30 Rear Brakes

Waiting for Service Manual.
Is there an article or can someone explain how to remove the Rear Drums on a 1965 C30 Flatbed 2 wheel drive, with Dual Wheels.
Wheels were a "mutha" to remove, as the truck has been sitting since 1989.
Any help is appreciated
THANK YOU
cartoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: 1965 C30 Rear Brakes

Its going to be fun especially if the brakes are rusted in place and there is a lip in the drum. Pull the bolts on the outside to remove the axles. Behind the axles there should be a nut on a spindle. Remove the nut, spacer and the other nut. The drum should at least move at that point. Look through the hole in the backing plate and see if you can move the brake adjuster. Back it off as far as you can. Chances are though if its been sitting for that long everything is rusted up and frozen. You will basically have to beat everything apart with a BFH. What will help is if you can located the pins for the shoe hold downs that come through the backing plate. Grind or cut the heads off so the pins release the shoes and fall into the drums. At least then the shoes will move outward and with enough force the drum should come off.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:02 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Before you get too far into a brake job on that Eaton HO72, check to be sure that you can get the parts you will need. The parts for those are getting harder and harder to find. Plus those differentials are typically quite low geared and not very highway friendly.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #4
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Before you get too far into a brake job on that Eaton HO72, check to be sure that you can get the parts you will need. The parts for those are getting harder and harder to find. Plus those differentials are typically quite low geared and not very highway friendly.
That's a very good point. I can remember 10 years ago or more guys on here losing their minds because they couldn't find parts at all for that rear. 14 bolts are cheap and plentiful in the junkyards.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
cartoys

THANK YOU very much for the quick response.......
I probably screwed up,
IF it makes a difference....... this is a 1965 C30 Flatbed Dually
8 Lugs front & rear
Truck runs, moves & I replaced the Front Brakes, Wheel Cylinders, Master Cylinder & Wheel Studs

The Rear Hub is foreign to me, as I have NEVER worked on this large of truck.
I actually thought the Drum would separate from the Axle case(?) like conventional Axle??
Seems to be an Factory Wheel Adapter on the Wheel Studs & not sure if that comes off with or before the Drum

I have "unadjusted" the Brakes & it turns free, just was wondering IF I have to remove the 8 small Axle Bolts & inards to get the Drum off, or should the Drum come off over the Axle?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the help
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
donut

Like cableguy posted earlier. Remove the 8 smaller bolts, this should free up the axle and remove the axle. (slides right out). Underneath the axle flange, you should see a spindle nut... a good description was posted earlier of how to proceed (post 2).

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
cableguy0

Yes remove those bolts. The axle will slide out. There will be a nut, a washer and another nut that holds the drum and bearings on. The drum will then slide off.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
cartoys

THANK YOU very much..........worked like a charm.
Sorry for the double questions, but this is greek to me & wanted to be sure
Learn something new everyday, even at my age.......
You guys are THE BEST !!!!
>
Old 10-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
whitedog76

Here's a few links to rearend servicing. They are 14-bolt specific, but the hub goes on and off the same way as the HO72 &HO52.

http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/14bolt.html

http://www.billavista.com/tech/Artic...ble/index.html

These links from this site might help also.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536119

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=210549
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
cartoys

More GREAT Information..........
THANK YOU very much..........