The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
arcticspade

new top

OK, at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot I'm going to ask a question (which I'm sure someone has asked in the past). Has anyone fabbed a custom top as a replacement for the jimmy/blazer? To be more precise a top that is not fiberglass.

I was thinking of making a top that actually sealed well, and perhaps used truck doors instead of the blazer/jimmy doors so the glass would seal well and not leek air/water. Rokcrln posted the thread: Need info from the blazer crowd please! a couple of days ago and it got me thinking. I would still use the normal doors when the top was off, when the seal didn't really matter, but would use the truck doors with the new top when the weather required.

I'm thinking about trying to make it out of something lighter than the fiberglass tops that wouldn't sag like they tend too. Perhaps aluminum or carbon fiber (painted of course, I'm not going for the import look).

I still want to retain the lift hatch as well as side windows and the dome lights, just put in newer replacements that will compliment the new top. I would also like to stay fairly close to the shape of the original, i bought a pre 73 for a reason and would like to stay true to the body style.

I guess the goal would be to create something stronger and lighter with the functionality still in tact if not better.

So like i said I'm going to throw this out there. In my defense i looked for another post with this but couldn't find one along the same lines, but i could have missed it

Anyways, input would be much appreciated.
arcticspade is offline   Reply With Quote