The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
BlouDon

59 Disc brake conversion using Toyota parts

I intend attempting a disc brake conversion on my 59 Apache using Toyota parts, inexpensive & freely available from breaker yards (here in South Africa). It sounds like it should be a relatively inexpensive conversion - we'll see.... I should add that I'm hoping to be able to use the standard OEM 16" wheels that are fitted to the truck.

I'll document my trials and tribulations in this thread.

Whilst the drum brakes are acceptable, they do smell after a normal drive. Not sure if this is from lack of use or if my "laid back" driving style still pushes the brakes (I do not think I drive this truck beyond its capabilities), but I've decided that safety is not to be compromised on. This is why I fitted seat belts FWIW, and same applies to brakes.

Step 1: Convert from ball to tapered roller bearings.

Reading on this subject led me to conclude that it is indeed necessary to do this conversion to minimise lateral hub movement and thus ensure the brake pads of a disc setup will not be pressed away from the disc while not in use. Having the brake pads pressed away is really bad as this may result in braking not resulting from stepping on the brake pedal, requiring more depressing of the brake pedal.

A conversion kit RBK4759 arrived today from PerformanceOnline.com. Once I remove the hub, I'll first get the discs and calipers from a breaker yard and then I'll attempt the conversion.

The elegance of using the Toyota parts is that the existing hub can be used (saving $$$), I'm told, just by machining a tiny amount off the circumference of the wheel side of the hub to allow the Toyota disc (Cheap $$$) to slide over.

Chev: '70 C10 (350 V8 / 700R4 ) & '59 Apache ( 235, 3-sp )
Jensen Interceptor '74: Mopar 440(EFI'ed) / 4L60e
Jaguar: '72 E-type Coupe V12 & '74 E-type V12 Convertible & '80 XJS V12
BlouDon is offline   Reply With Quote