The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
71rustpile

Which DBW pedal?

Is there a particular DBW pedal that you guys have had good luck with installing in 67-72 trucks? Are the electrical connectors all the same on GM DBW pedals? Just don't want to buy something thats not gonna work.
Thanks
Dan
71rustpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Which DBW pedal?

You don't really have a choice, you need to run the matching pedal and tac module for the year of the donor parts.
Ie 2004 engine/pcm needs 2004 tac and pedal.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
You don't really have a choice, you need to run the matching pedal and tac module for the year of the donor parts.
X2, If you a search here or even google it you will find a few painful story's about attempting to get DBW to work with mismatch components. Jim_PA is one member that went though it.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchevy View Post
X2, If you a search here or even google it you will find a few painful story's about attempting to get DBW to work with mismatch components. Jim_PA is one member that went though it.
BR3W CITY went through that also.
But for what its worth the pre '05's with the metal base are easier to work with than the later all plastic ones if you want to keep your original pedal and adapt it to the DBW pedal.
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Oops, forgot about that.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
But for what its worth the pre '05's with the metal base are easier to work with than the later all plastic ones if you want to keep your original pedal and adapt it to the DBW pedal.
You kinda saved me on that one too Ls1nova71.
The metal pedals can be cut down and tac'd back into place easily.
I've seen them do it with plastic weld and extra bracing.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
homemade87

Mine had a flat steel arm. I just cut it off and drilled a hole in it and cut the original off to fit thru the hole and welded it up. Worked great
Attached Images

homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #8
71rustpile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Found this on Pirate4x4:

New engine control module
The E38 engine control module (ECM) uses a 32-bit processor, with more memory and a host of advanced features compared to previous controllers, it can handle the advanced computing needs of advanced direct ignition and electronic throttle control. It replaces the previous 24-bit controller.
The 2006+ LS2 as well as all future Gen IV V8’s with ETC and E38 ECM, incorporate the electronic throttle control (ETC) functionality within the ECM, eliminating the separate Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module used in earlier designs. The previous TAC takes commands from the ECM and then operates the electric motor that opens and closes the throttle. The E38 manages the throttle directly, without a TAC. Eliminating the TAC reduces cost and improves reliability. The direct link between the ECM and the throttle motor improves throttle response time (albeit in millisecond increments that are not apparent to the driver) and improves system security by removing a device (the TAC) that must be monitored for malfunction.

So would any 2006+DBW pedal work?
71rustpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:35 AM   #9
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Why bother with DBW and not just use a good ole cable driven throttle body from an early LS engine or L29 7.4L? Any ECM tuner should be able to toggle off DBW so the ECM doesn’t go looking for it. Then again, if you want cruise control it is easier to get with DBW. I ditched the DBW on my 8.1L running a P59 controller with a mechanical L29 7.4L throttle body. Makes for an easier swap and adds reliability. I believe the newer E38 and E78 controllers have the ability to toggle off DBW as well.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:14 AM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71rustpile View Post
So would any 2006+DBW pedal work?
Not for sure. The 2006+ stuff doesn't use a separate tac pedal since the ecm handles it, so you get out of needing an extra part, like that article mentions. BUT there are still a couple of versions of the pedal. Some pedals have one potentiometer (sp?) that reads something like 0-10v sweep to determine pedal position, while others have 2 of them...one reading 0-10 the other 10-0 as a double check to help avoid "run away" dbw cars incase the part were to malfunction .

You may be able to get away with any 2006+ truck pedal, but I know there are differences with the car pedals as well.