The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #51
MarineChevyDriver

Re: '69 C20 Won't Start - PLEASE HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Chevy guy View Post
I was just skimming through the thread. Dosent sound good BUT before you give up the ghost check and make sure the starter isint jambed into the flywheel. with the electrical problems and overheating the starter can fry and the bendix could be stuck in the drive position and effectivly binding the motor. Probably a long shot but look underneath and see if the starter teeth are engaged with the flywheel. you will need to remove the splash cover. Had it happen. Good luck and I'll watch this thread to see what happens. I'm not a ''mechanic'' by trade but worked in a couple of garages when there was no other work and have been messing with old chevys coming up on 30 years. I hate being able to say that. The 30 years part that is
I'll check that. I didn't get around to working on the truck today, probably needed a break from it anyway.
MarineChevyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #52
MarineChevyDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
and was going to mention it earlier, but thought you'd at least hear a "clicking" sound when trying to jump it earlier.
Same here. Nothing though.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #53
MarineChevyDriver

Thumbs up Re: '69 C20 Won't Start - PLEASE HELP!

Quote:
Never had it stick on me, so I wasn't sure. So it could be wedged in the flywheel - but it sounds like if it is, its possibly
due to something else that caused the crank from turning further.

"It made a noise like it turned over with two attempts to start"

If the engine did in fact turn over, then it probably got seized up due to metal-on-metal grinding in the engine.
Then came to a hault and the starter got wedged due to the stopping of the flywheel.

Earlier, I almost suggested smacking the starter with a hammer while trying to start the engine, but...
Haha. I think I'll just check to see if it's still engaged and try to free it if it is.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #54
MarineChevyDriver

Pulled the starter tonight. It was partially engaged when I checked it. I tried to test it with the key in and on, by turning the key and using the screw driver. I got nothing, not even a spark. I'm taking it to get it tested tomorrow.

I tried to turn over the engine once the starter was out. It turned a little, but was still far too hard to turn to be considered legitimate. I sprayed some penetrating oil into the spark plug sockets. I'll see if I can get it to turn over tomorrow after work.

If this doesn't work I'll be taking the valve covers off to try and free up the rods and pistons. The shop will be after that.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #55
litew8

Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 AM   #56
old Chevy guy

Did you ever get all the plugs out? Just had a thought. One of the vans I had did the starter jamb up trick and I was thinking the starter was junk but then figured out the motor was stuck. Long story shorter the head gasket was leaking between the water jacket and one cylinder and the motor was water locked. If your truck was so overheated ,could have blown the headgasket. Disregard if all the plugs are already out.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #57
MarineChevyDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Chevy guy View Post
Did you ever get all the plugs out? Just had a thought. One of the vans I had did the starter jamb up trick and I was thinking the starter was junk but then figured out the motor was stuck. Long story shorter the head gasket was leaking between the water jacket and one cylinder and the motor was water locked. If your truck was so overheated ,could have blown the headgasket. Disregard if all the plugs are already out.
All the plugs are out.

Side note: the starter works. I stopped by an auto shop and they hooked it up for me and it works fine.

I tried to hand crank the engine today after putting the penetrating oil in. It BARELY moves. Trying to turn over the engine by hand is like trying to drive with the parking break on.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #58
MarineChevyDriver

The verdict: I am looking at remanufactured 350's. I don't have it apart yet, but from talking to someone that is very knowledgeable, I will be best off by purchasing a new block with heads.

I'm going to buy an engine stand and rent a hoist to remove the engine, but not until I return. Unfortunately, the truck is going to sit on blocks in storage for about a year.

In the mean time I'm going to do research so I can have a plan in place to rebuild this baby when I get back. Tentatively, I want to purchase a C10 short bed body and use my current C20 as a parts truck and completely rebuild the engine. There are many good/working accesories on the engine that can be reused.

So, I guess the advice I'm looking for now is suggestions for rebuilds. As of now, I am looking at remanufactured 350's on Chevy-350-engines.com, and an Edlebrock RPM intake. I'd like to get that C10 body and start from scratch, redo the engine, sell my good tranny and get a 700R with overdrive. Then have the body sand blasted and rust removed, if any, and get it painted. Then start transferring all the good stuff over to the new one and send the C20 body to the junk yard when I'm done with it.

Lots of dreaming I'm doing over here! Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #59
old Chevy guy

Very sorry for your loss. Dont know if your looking for stock or modified but for what its worth when the 350 vortec in my 3500 work box truck blew up I bought a remanafactured engine from auto zone. I was a little aprehensive but its been three and a half years and still going strong no problems. Have a safe journy and heres hoping everything turns out well and you return safely!
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #60
MarineChevyDriver

Thanks and no worries. This will give me a chance to put some creativity into the truck I really wanted. I'll put up pictures when I start back to work on it. Happy building an driving!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #61
litew8

A Marine is a man that when knocked down six time will get up seven. Semper Fidelis
Old 04-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #62
MarineChevyDriver

Quote:
A Marine is a man that when knocked down six time will get up seven. Semper Fidelis
YUT!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #63
MarineChevyDriver

Found this. All I would need is a decent bed and this guy. Then I could rebuild the engine, put a new wiring harness in and get her repainted. Too bad it's a year away.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #64
MarineChevyDriver

Looks like I'm going to have some time to work on my toy after all. Starting a new thread for my rebuild project for those that helped me out if you are interested.