The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
1badgmc

Re: HID convertion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratch View Post
That's why I was interested in whether or not the LMC "euro" lenses are DOT/SAE approved.
Whether or not they're DOT/SAE approved doesn't matter in this case. They're NOT approved for HIDs no matter what. Even if they were, his truck didn't come from the factory with HIDs, which makes them illegal. Period.

Quote:
There is no way to make an HID lamp safe in a non-HID lens . . . it's simply a mater of the physics of how each lamp creates light. To do it the aforementioned way will always create a light with excessive glare to oncoming drivers.
Yes you can. I have extremely sensitive eyes when it comes to lights at night. I have seen plenty of drop-in HID conversions with no more glare than the car next to them with halogens. None of my HID conversions produce excess glare.

Quote:
The setup I built for my 87 and similarly on my Freightliner uses an SAE/DOT approved lens produced by Hella . . . it is legal because the lens is designed to put light on the road in the proper manner and cut off where it's not supposed to go, when it is used with the lamp that it was designed for.
I have had the lights inspected in seven states thus far and it passed all of those inspections as well as the DOT inspection that the truck has to go through annually.
If the vehicle didn't roll off the assembly line with HIDs, then it's just as illegal as any other HID conversion.

Quote:
I can tell you that had I put in some cheap "euro style" lenses or a cheap Chinese built HID kit, then I would never have passed inspection. Flying under the radar is unacceptable in my book.
I've passed plenty of inspections without a single question.

Quote:
Blue light is actually detrimental to night vision . . . scientific fact . . . closer to the yellow is actually much better for inclement weather too.
That's why you stay in the low 4000K range for the best results.

But this is all a matter for its own topic, really. SoCalSlaughter didn't start this thread to discuss the legalities of HID conversions. He started the thred to give a little info on how it can be done. Most people who do HID conversions know that they're not quite legal and I'm sure SoCalSlaughter is no exception. I know that mine are illegal, but I've taken the time to make mine the best I can with what I've got. I get better light output and visibility than with halogens without causing glare for other drivers. That's what matters and the odds of me getting any hassle over them are slim.
1badgmc is offline   Reply With Quote