The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2020, 10:41 AM   #1
72malibu

Three or Four Row Radiators - Brothers, LMC, etc?

Looking for a new radiator for my dad's 75 Gentleman Jim. I want to get one that fits without modifying anything and retaining the factory 2 piece shroud. Original radiator is a three row, tall core, roughly 28-3/8 wide, 2 deep, 19 tall (core size).

This one from Brother's seems similar in the dimensions, though they don't say how many rows it has. https://www.brotherstrucks.com/73-77...tinfo/RDHA577/

Has anyone replaced an original three row tall core with a direct fit replacement and if so what did you get?
72malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:25 AM   #2
SSSilverado

Re: Three or Four Row Radiators - Brothers, LMC, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72malibu View Post
Looking for a new radiator for my dad's 75 Gentleman Jim. I want to get one that fits without modifying anything and retaining the factory 2 piece shroud. Original radiator is a three row, tall core, roughly 28-3/8 wide, 2 deep, 19 tall (core size).

This one from Brother's seems similar in the dimensions, though they don't say how many rows it has. https://www.brotherstrucks.com/73-77...tinfo/RDHA577/

Has anyone replaced an original three row tall core with a direct fit replacement and if so what did you get?
I got Cold Case radiator w electric fans & shroud and it fit pretty well. I made to make some feet for it about 1in, but Cold Case has two large tubes, better cooling they say than 3 or 4 row tubes.
SSSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:36 AM   #3
Dead Parrot

I didn't see any mention of a transmission cooler in the one in the link. Nor did the pic show one. Something to double check before ordering.

I last replaced mine in the mid-90s. Local purchase from a place called "The Radiator Shop". It was a near perfect fit for my heavy duty 75 C10 with 350/Th350. It is a three row. I think the shop was still there the last time I drove by a couple years ago. No clue if it has survived Covid.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
Redneck Rydes

Go online to Champion Rad, get a aluminum on 3 row,paint it black and away you go,
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #5
72malibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rydes View Post
Go online to Champion Rad, get a aluminum on 3 row,paint it black and away you go,
Thanks, is it a direct fit, no mods needed?
https://www.championradiators.com/3-...r-19-1973-1991
Old 10-25-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
Redneck Rydes

Totally bolt in no mods,I have used 3 of these and very happy with them
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #7
72malibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rydes View Post
Totally bolt in no mods,I have used 3 of these and very happy with them
Thanks. This is much cheaper than the brass versions I've been looking at and would probably cool just as well or better. I have an aluminum BeCool with dual Spal fans in my Chevelle and love it. The truck will retain the factory shroud and fan. The truck isn't 100% original (M/T valve covers, Edelbrock intake), so my dad would probably be happy with aluminum painted black.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #8
44boggers

I have a radiator from Wizard Cooling out of New York.

https://wizardcooling.com/1978-1993-...xpansion-tank/

Very nice rad they made, comes with dual fans, expansion tank, An fittings for trans cooler. It fit perfect. I did have to get the radiator mount for the larger radiators which is a one piece mount opposed to the 2 piece stock mount that came with my 83 C10.

They are on the high end of the price range, but since I live in Europe I did not want to risk going with a cheaper rad, like a Champion and have the risk of it cracking, leaking or whatever, because then the warranty would be useless since I would have to pay for shipping to and from Europe which would be the same price as buying 2 new radiators.
44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
72malibu

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I talked it over with my dad and ordered the Champion 3 row, 19" tall core. Hard to pass up for the price, less than $250. This truck isn't going to be a daily driver and won't be driven far, just in-town trips, for the foreseeable future. I like the Cold Case radiator, by they have a 17" tall core rather than the 19" and my dad really wants a direct fit.