The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
Dhelm2atl

Steering column question

Ok, previous owner tore down the steering column, removed the blinker arm, and removed the shift linkage putting the shifter on the floor. I replaced the blinker assembly and put in a new blinker arm, works fine. What holds the housing in place?

I am wondering what part I am missing that holds the housing in place and keeps it from rotating around, as if I want to engage the blinker I need to hold the housing to keep it from spinning. I've looked at lmc truck for parts and I don't see anything. I've reviewed most of the threads here as well on steering columns...

Forgot to mention, 1964 c10

Thanks in advance.
Dhelm2atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Dhelm2atl

Re: Steering column question

Specifically looking at the attached blowup, #36, the turn signal housing, will turn on the column. I believe I am missing items #39 & #40, but not seeing how those would keep #36 from turning.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2017, 10:09 PM   #3
damnyankee36

I don't know if the 66 is the same. My column doesn't look quite the same as your diagram. But my column was complete when I disassembled it. It didn't make a whole lot of sense how it was going to go back together. (But I took lots of pics.)

The housing has slots that the end of the outer column tube inserts into. Then the housing is rotated CW a few degrees until it stops. When the turn signal switch is tightened down, it locks everything in place. Then there is the single screw at the bottom of the column just forward of #41 that slides in a slot that is angled. That allows a ring the screw is attached to that takes up the slack and keeps the play of #41 to a minimum.

Hope this little bit of info helps.
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
Dhelm2atl

Thanks for the response! I'll tear down the column again and see if I missed that!

thanks!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
Dhelm2atl

Ok, I took the column apart when I got home today. Should have taken pics, but it looks like the piece I need has been sawed off. I believe it's called the mast jacket, and the attached images show the protrusion that the blinker housing should slide over and rotate on to secure it in place.

Now, to find somewhere that has this part.

Thanks in advance,
- Duane
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #6
damnyankee36

I'm at a loss now on what to do. I just realized the first diagram shows what appears to be a later model steering column because it looks like I see a collapsible shaft. As far as I know, all 60-66 columns were one piece.

The second looks like a three-on-the-tree as I think I see two shift levers.

What transmission column do you have?
Old 04-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #7
Dhelm2atl

Ok, took the column apart and took some pics
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2017, 03:59 PM   #8
damnyankee36

Yep, you're right; the tabs you are talking about are indeed gone. I wonder why somebody would do that? Maybe they didn't realize that a simple twist would get the T/S housing off? I found this pic. I took it while disassembling my column.

If you look at the back of the T/S switch you can see grooves where the ends of these tabs insert. When you tighten the 3 screws it sandwiches the tabs between the switch and housing.

Mine is temporarily assembled at the moment so I can't tell what else you might be missing. I attached a few more pics that might help you. You can see the tabs in the last pic. The plastic ring and the bracket go inside the tube down to the angle slot. That's where you slide it toward the top of the column to take out the slack/looseness of the shifter housing. (I think, pretty sure that's what I remember).
Attached Images

Last edited by damnyankee36; 04-29-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
Dhelm2atl

Last pic is exactly what I need to see. Thanks for the reply and pics!

Now to figure out what part I need without replacing the entire column

Thanks,
- Duane