The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2020, 11:42 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Arrow Rebuilding and shortening original steering column 1969-1972

I have a 1969 CST/10 pickup with TH400 automatic transmission and standard non-tilt steering column.

Are any of you folks who are experienced with doing things such as replacing bearings and shortening the column including cutting the relocated hole for neutral safety switch and backup lights switch and welding the little tab on the inner column offering the service of rebuilding a non-tilt and shortening?

My bearings are needing replacement and I would like my steering column to be 2-1/2 inches shorter so the steering wheel is further away from me. That work can be done to my steering column or if somebody has a steering column for me to just buy that would also be fine, or taking mine as a core if necessary is also fine. I am interested in an original non-tilt steering column from pickup/suburban/blazer, rather than an aftermarket one or one from some other vehicle model like a van. If it makes a difference my truck is saddle color and the interior is saddle.

I am in the Houston Texas area and sometimes travel to other major Texas cities. If we are far apart then I suppose we can ship back and forth.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:13 AM   #2
gmc684x4

Re: Rebuilding and shortening original steering column 1969-1972

You can ask Randy500 i believe he is the member who rebuilds tilt columns on the for sale board

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=808647
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:17 AM   #3
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I have a 1969 CST/10 pickup with TH400 automatic transmission and standard non-tilt steering column.

Are any of you folks who are experienced with doing things such as replacing bearings and shortening the column including cutting the relocated hole for neutral safety switch and backup lights switch and welding the little tab on the inner column offering the service of rebuilding a non-tilt and shortening?

My bearings are needing replacement and I would like my steering column to be 2-1/2 inches shorter so the steering wheel is further away from me. That work can be done to my steering column or if somebody has a steering column for me to just buy that would also be fine, or taking mine as a core if necessary is also fine. I am interested in an original non-tilt steering column from pickup/suburban/blazer, rather than an aftermarket one or one from some other vehicle model like a van. If it makes a difference my truck is saddle color and the interior is saddle.

I am in the Houston Texas area and sometimes travel to other major Texas cities. If we are far apart then I suppose we can ship back and forth.
I offer that service,

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY
KevsClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:54 AM   #4
leddzepp

Both of my trucks have restored tilt columns from KevsClassics, they are flawless. I highly recommend him based on personal experience.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote