The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
lsversaw

Best location for 4 speakers

I've read most of the posts here about speaker locations...kick panels, doors, original center-dash (mono or stereo), rear cab corners, front "fill", underseat. I haven't seen an answer to this specific question, though...

If you have four speaker outputs -- and only four -- from your head unit or amp, where's the best location, size, and shape for the four speakers?

My assumptions -- reasonable minds may differ -- are:
- Semi-original looks are preferred; any modifications should be low key, maybe not even noticable.
- I'm not interested in the SPL wars (if you are, fine, but please be respectful of others).
- I'm not interested in boosting bass. I don't select music based on bass content.
- I'd like reasonable sound quality, and a sense of being surrounded by sound. But I don't believe in trying to reproduce the original sound stage or imaging within the confines of our truck cabs. I'm looking more for a surround-sound experience than a concert-hall experience.
- I've got a '72 C20. Love it. A real truck.
- I'll eventually install some vibration damping and sound reduction stuff.
- Cost is always a factor, so I'll say a limit of about $1000 for the speakers themselves AND kick panels, if purchased. Not counting sound reduction material. Also not counting installation labor; I'll do that myself. But I'm not willing to pay more than $500 unless the additional cost results in "better" sound. To me, better means wider frequency response, flatter frequency response, and a sense of sound coming from everywhere, not just the speaker locations.
- I'll move my gas tank, so rear corner speakers are an option.
- I consider a set of 2- or 3-way component speakers with a passive crossover as one speaker.

If there are other assumptions required to give an answer, let me know.

Let's have fun with this!
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
ranger danger

Re: Best location for 4 speakers

My opinion would be 2 6X9's in the doors and 2 3 1/2's in the center dash with baffles in both locations. Use the best speaker you can afford in both locations. Use a premium amp and turn the gain down a little on the dash speakers. You will get good highs from the dash speakers reflected off the windshield and good base out of the 6X9's in the doors. This is what I have in my Suburban with the addition of 2 more 6X9's in the far rear compartment that give me good "rear fill".
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
lsversaw

Ranger, would you take 6x9's in the door over 6-1/2" in the kick panels? I don't mind cutting the door, but I also don't mind buying speaker-enabled kick panels if it would give better sound.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
ranger danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsversaw View Post
Ranger, would you take 6x9's in the door over 6-1/2" in the kick panels? I don't mind cutting the door, but I also don't mind buying speaker-enabled kick panels if it would give better sound.
I don't care for kick panels. They limit the air movement of the speaker and they are always in the way of my feet, ebrake, dimmer switch etc. I am also a fan of real estate when it comes to speakers in my car. Bigger is generally better. If you seal up the doors well, you will get excellent sound from that location and keep your interior uncluttered.
NRA Life Member

Old 09-02-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Cab corner mounts with 6x9. Two 3.5 in the center of dash home made mount easy to make out of a piece of sheet metal.
Check this thread out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=445557&page=3

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
lsversaw

Thanks, Ranger and Andy. I'm currently chasing a wild hair (hare?): a setup that would drive left and right (doors or kickpanels), center (existing dash location), and two surround speakers (in the rear corners) -- five locations, with 4 different combination of left and right -- all from 4 channels of speaker outputs. I'll post my findings here.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:40 AM   #7
ranger danger

Quote:
Thanks, Ranger and Andy. I'm currently chasing a wild hair (hare?): a setup that would drive left and right (doors or kickpanels), center (existing dash location), and two surround speakers (in the rear corners) -- five locations, with 4 different combination of left and right -- all from 4 channels of speaker outputs. I'll post my findings here.
Look at the Zapco 6 channel amp. Then you would be driving all 6 speakers with individual gain control.

Z-150.6 Sound Q Street Series

Features and Functions

6-Channel, Class-AB Sound Quality Amplifier
Stable into 4 ohms bridged or 2 ohms stereo load
PWM MOSFET power supply
High end Op-amps and Capacitors
Variable FULL / LP / HP Electronic Crossover
0dB, 6dB, 12dB selectable bass boost
4-way protection circuitry
Wired remote control (optional)
Panel mount RCA connectors

Specifications

Power @ 4Ω: 6 x 150 watts
Power @ 2Ω: 6 x 300 watts
Power @ 4Ω Bridged: 3 x 500 watts
THD @ Rated Power < 0.05%
Signal to Noise Ratio > 90dB
Channel separation > 60dB
Frequency Response 10Hz to 30,000Hz ±1dB
Input Sensitivity .25v to 8v
Dimensions in mm: 190(W) x 62(H) x 573(L) Overall: 190(W) x 62(H) x 614(L)

NRA Life Member

Old 09-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
NJ C10 Guy

Quote:
I have 3.5" Infinity speakers in the dash, 6x9 in the rear corners, and I am going to put 6.5" components in the kick panels when I stop being lazy and make the enclosures. I have an 8" sub as well. Here's what I did:

- The sub is running on a mono channel amp and is in the center console I built.

- The dash speakers are powered by the head unit. No sense hooking them up to an amp IMO since they are 25w RMS and my head unit puts out 22w. In the grand scheme of things those speakers are supplementary anyway.

- Rear 6x9 are currently hooked up to the 4 channel amp, and the 6.5s will be as well when they get installed.
NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote