The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #176
daverod
SSN 706

Re: Bubba's recycling project

Good idea Alan. You've taught them southern boys long enough. It's our turn now. Sounds like Bubba is a happy man. How's the truck drive at higher speeds any wobbles? I get one around 70-75 I think it's my drive line not sure.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #177
Vernski

A big thumb's up Bubba it's really allot of fun when you get to the point where you can drive it, and I'm sure your daughter is happy with it too. That's a purty little truck I like the blue & white enjoy....Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #178
daverod
SSN 706

You know you need it.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #179
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Good idea Alan. You've taught them southern boys long enough. It's our turn now.
you never know we might move someday.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #180
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Dave _Do you need my shipping address?

I have been trying to get the timing right as it is a driver now but a little doggy.
It has been to town three times for parts runs but more work still needs done.
Found the vacuum at only 5"hg. at idle and is a leak somewhere but I cannot find it. Tried a different carb but still only 10". Leak must be at intake so.. it I have to pull it all apart and change the gasket ....
So whats up ? Are you gonna use that intake on your truck or what???
Went to jalopy jungle and got a front sway bar off a 73.
Cleaned it up and painted it maybe get on it this week
Western Idaho Fair starts on Friday and Animals go in Thursday. Fair time is way busy around here with 4-H and FFA kids. Trucks gotta wait.
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #181
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Name:  IMG_2717.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  34.5 KB This one is for you Alan .. If you lived closer ....
I got brave and welded the old gas tank hole up.It is only metal and bondo will cover it . Actually 6 coats of High build primer did a pretty good job for a temporary thing. I'll do the body work after the crash!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #182
daverod
SSN 706

The intake is on my truck. That's just a old picture to tease you with. Hows the pig growing going.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #183
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Dave You are terrible_ I thought you might ship that up here to let me try it for a while.

Does that Clifford bolt to the exhaust manifold like stock? How do the Offenhausers mount ? Wonder if a guy could TIG weld a water heater line on the bottom of the Offy like Cliffords
I like the Idea of the heated intake here in Idaho for the winter use.
I might just upgrade manifolds if I can find one. I am really tired of one barrel carbs
My weber carb idea might work but they are EXPENSIVE and the tuners I talked with are really not very excited with my idea of putting a weber carb on a Chevy Inline 6. Maybe a 38/38 would work but not the 32/36 progressive I have.
Fair pigs are ready to go. Girls have had a fun summer raising Market swine.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #184
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Score!!
Found a buddy of my father-in-law with a stash of intakes from his super six race car days . Says they are Holley , same as Cliffords ?
Thinks he still has some water heat plates although they never used them on the race cars. He will dig them out this weekend and I will pick it up on Monday.
May have some carbs also.
Okay -- We are off to state fair for a week of 4-H/FFA livestock shows
Old 08-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #185
daverod
SSN 706

Bolts up but you also need headers. Cool find on the manifolds. Where's the fair? I bet I get better gas mileage then I did with a one barrel. Except I rod it everwhere I go.

Last edited by daverod; 08-19-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 AM   #186
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
Score!!
Found a buddy of my father-in-law with a stash of intakes from his super six race car days . Says they are Holley , same as Cliffords ?
Thinks he still has some water heat plates although they never used them on the race cars. He will dig them out this weekend and I will pick it up on Monday.
May have some carbs also.
Okay -- We are off to state fair for a week of 4-H/FFA livestock shows
If the Holley were the same as a Clifford it wouldn't need a heat plate, the Clifford is plumbed with water lines in and out it also cools the gas at high temps as well as heat at low temps. The heat plates just boil the gas, the Clifford is the better design IMO. I always go to the fair in CDA and a week latter at the Spokane fairgrounds [love those elephant ears] every fall...Vernski
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #187
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

It is manifold Christmas!!
I Now have 2 Cliffords, but both are un-heated, One stock gm one barrel and one stocker modified to mount a Holley. Plus a Holley 7448 race carb (350CFM 2 barrel) but it seems to have the choke butterfly removed. Gee it is good to have friends who have old parts stashed away.
Name:  IMG_2288.jpg
Views: 2661
Size:  42.4 KB
The Cliffords are both without heat risers . Not exactly what I wanted but they were CHEAP and I could not let them get away. One has the 2 barrel adapter on it . I did not really want to change to headers right now since I just finished the exhaust system
Any body made an exhaust heater box or hot water box for them? What does the bottom of the water heated Clifford style look like?
Post some pictures if you have any of the bottom view of a heated Clifford manifold and also how it is plumbed in the the hot water loop.
I also have a line on a Offenhauser 5416 single 4-barrel which can use the stock exhaust / heater box OR a water heater if using headers . I will have to wait a few days to see if it is still available.
Survived 5 days at Western Idaho State Fair. Daughters came home with a big bunch of blue ribbons. 4-H Project sale pig went 284 lbs

Last edited by bubba327; 08-26-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Whoops
Old 08-27-2010, 01:54 AM   #188
Vernski

Hey yeah I for one thought all Clifford's were plumbed with a water jacket it seems the early ones did not have it. What does the side and bottom look like?
here's a link to the Clifford site maybe someone there has an answer...Vernski

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/M...gory_Code=C250
Old 08-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #189
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Name:  IMG_2290.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  32.0 KBClifford side and back view

Name:  IMG_2292.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  47.7 KB

Put a stock manifold from my 71 on to see if vacuum leak is cured. It has 17"hg at idle-I still have monojet installed as it works best. It chirps the tires every time you start out with the 3.73 rear axle. Should get better mileage when I put in the 3.07.
Still hoping to get the Offenhauser but School starts Monday.
Daughter would love to drive it to school. Lots of little stuff still needs done. Better get back to work on it while I have daylight.

Name:  IMG_2294.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  58.7 KB
Old 08-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #190
daverod
SSN 706

It's Chrismas. I would sell all that stuff on ebay and get a heated one and headers for free.That's way to much fair.

Last edited by daverod; 08-27-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #191
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

The Offenhauser intake deal fell through.
Spent last night and today building a receiver hitch and bumper supports. The hitch is more protection for the gas tank than anything.
Put the old bumper back on for now. got everything in the back welded and put gas in the tank for the first time.
We have been driving around with a 5 gallon can in the bed all along
Name:  IMG_2296.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  34.1 KB
My uncle the machinist still shakes his head and wonders WHY I keep messing with the inline six when the Chevy small block is easier to find and parts are everywhere and cheaper and more horse power is available
I think I am starting a engine fund rather than upgrading the Inline.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #192
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Front sway bay went on today. (1-1/8" from a 74 3/4 ton)That took a lot of the roll and push out of the cornering.Took a drove to wally world and bought a JVC stereo and speakers. Drove on to school and back home (12 miles one way). Wife wanted to be sure it would make it there and back!
Went for a drive tonight with me in a pace car because the speedometer is way off. Actual 25mph reads 35---- 50 reads 73-74 --- actual 55 reads 80. Gotta watch the school zones.
The gas tank is half full but no gauge yet. We will let her drive it a few days and see how things go.
Brakes are still hard , I don't think the brake booster is working but then the vacuum is back down to 14" hg at idle with everything hooked up. May have to put a soup can in the vacuum line. Read somewhere that boosters need 18"HG to work right.
School starts tomorrow- and it is going on the first day!!!
Name:  IMG_2301.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  44.7 KB
Old 08-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #193
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Name:  IMG_2304.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  46.7 KBWell the first day of school came and off they went. My 16 year old and her 46 year old truck.
Not without a coulee of glitches. The alternator belt started howling when the headlights turned on , I guess I never had them on while the motor was running and the belt was a little loose. So I had her just use the running lights since it was fairly light. BUT she forgot to turn them off when she got to school and the battery was dead after school. She had to stay for a volleyball game so I took the jumper cables and went to school for the rescue.
Day one- operator error- (Her Yota has a buzzer when you leave the lights on)- Not the truck's fault
Old 08-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #194
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

that's awesome...brings back memories of me driving my dad's old beat up '66 short bed to school sometimes...it looked like hell & wouldn't go much faster than 55mph, but it never seemed to let us down...even though it was our beater truck & only got driven when something else was down, it was always fun to drive...and it was blue/white/rusty
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #195
jocko

it must be a rite of passage....

i drained my batt on my light blue 66 the first day i drove it to work.

buzzer, auto headlights, etc - I fell into the same trap.

Great truck, great story, great daughter, and obviously a great Dad - congrats on the first day of school!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #196
63sbssbbw
UCA63

That's awesome Bubba,I'll bet she was thrilled (I know I would've been)
I wish i was that lucky at 16,
T
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
63sbssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #197
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Thanks for the support guys!!
No problems since day one and the dead battery. We have put 200 miles on it so far since Sunday -It is 25 miles round trip to school and I have been cruising around the country roads in the evenings.
She drives SWEET! It just floats down the road. I put a new 1" shorter fan belt on Monday night so the howling stopped.
The 3.73 rear gears are still OK at 55 mph but a 3.08 or 3.43 ratio would be needed if freeway driving was required. For now the country roads speed limit to her school is 50.
Still having low vacuum (12-13"hg) at idle. Power brake booster not really helping but still have good solid brakes.
Stopped by a buddy's house for advice (He races street stock and super mod) He listened to my trouble and listened to the motor and swears there is a cam installed to make it lope like it does. He wonders if the head has been milled to raise the compression.
Maybe so -I never took the motor apart. Would explain some things like low vacuum and high compression (145 lbs average ) Motor sure runs out nice!
Not sure what to do about the Brake booster........... maybe hook a vac line from another car over to it and verify low boost vacuum is the problem. Central vac in garage is only 5"hg ..not enough..

Jocko - nice dog in your avatar- Heelers are my favorite-I have owned several, but have a Aussie now. They are a little gentler on my kids tame 4-H livestock
Old 09-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #198
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

That's awesome how well things are working out. Let me guess she is the only one that is driving an old truck to school. I'm guessing you don't have a mityvac hand pump for testing systems on cars. Sometimes I forget I have certain tools. Especially the special ones I don't use much. Maybe a friend might have one.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #199
jocko

thanks bubba - i've had several heelers also - but know what you mean about "gentle" with cattle, and kids for that matter - he's not exactly gentle with anything...

I bet your daughter is the hit of her high school with the old blue chev!

What a great project.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:33 AM   #200
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Daughter is Student Body V.P. this year at 5A high school and THOUGHT she knew most of the other students as she is very active in school activities . She said lots of new people came up and asked "Is that your Blue truck? You are SO lucky. What an awesome truck !!" Yeah --She is pretty proud!! The week went well. Heck-- she drove it all week with out a radio !!!

Tore things apart tonight . One headlight was dim (Bad ground ) so I am doing the headlight re-wire using relays , and pulled the voltage regulator and going to new style GM internal regulated alternator (63 amp). maybe the new stereo system if time allows.
Has to be back together by Tuesday morning
There are a few other older cars at her school including a 60s mustang- a Baja bug a El camino and two Camaros and a few other 70s trucks and a couple Blue oval trucks (F%&DS)

Last edited by bubba327; 09-04-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: added text