The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
Alex V.

Let's talk about the trends...

From observing lately, it seems all sorts of vehicles like our Suburbans - including vans, VW buses, compact RV's - are seeing a resurgence in popularity and notoriety. Value increasing, more coming out of the woodwork, features in pop culture and advertising. I had mine before - or before I knew about - such a trend and therefore can't say I'm one of the statistics in question, but what ideas do others have as to what's at the root of the "mainstream" warming back up to the real recreational/sport utility vehicles?

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Let's talk about the trends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V. View Post
From observing lately, it seems all sorts of vehicles like our Suburbans - including vans, VW buses, compact RV's - are seeing a resurgence in popularity and notoriety. Value increasing, more coming out of the woodwork, features in pop culture and advertising. I had mine before - or before I knew about - such a trend and therefore can't say I'm one of the statistics in question, but what ideas do others have as to what's at the root of the "mainstream" warming back up to the real recreational/sport utility vehicles?

I wonder if it is because of the rising prices of the regular vehicles. It seems like the recreational vehicles are usually the hardest to sell until the prices on everything else starts to rise.... It could also be that many times the RV types are in overall better condition with less miles than the regularly driven ones.

Just some random thoughts......

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
vectorit
What?

You know, I've often thought the same thing.
I've had my Suburban for many years, and when I started my restoration in the 1990's. Everyone was restoring Camaro/Firebirds and Mustangs, often times with crazy heartbeat graphics and "pro street" look.
I even distinctly remember the shop that I took my truck to for the body and paint, and the shop owner looked at it and said "Why would anyone want to restore an old Suburban"? That's where I told him that I didn't care about what was cool, but I did care because it was a family heirloom to me. He understood that, and we moved on.
I feel that many have moved on to 1960 on up trucks, because they were plentiful and cheep. Easy to restore or hot rod and, and many of these guys already had sitting in their driveways. Or they were what Dad had as we grew up, so there is the nostalgic aspect of it.

Now, it seems the old trucks are getting more scarce. Just like the Camaro, Firebird, and Mustangs. So what is next? Pretty much all the pre computer cars & trucks are used up on the last few decades of trends, so I predict with the new generations of mechanically inclined people who have the technical skills will be building what they as kids had in their driveways growing up.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
Average Joe

Quote:
I think they are more rare now than they were 20 years ago. Therefor when people see one they tend to turn their head more. I think car people to a certain degree, and others may differ here, like to be unique. Plus the old wagons,Burbs, buses, and old rv's imo have very cool lines. Combine that form with a functional platform and its no wonder they are becoming more popular. Lower gas prices of late dont hurt either.
Ps:I miss my old 71 Ford shorty panel. Old vans rock!!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843

Last edited by Average Joe; 03-10-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #5
LuckyScott

More rare, more unique, and more distinct. Plus the nostalgia factor for people remembering the old suburbans from when they were kids. I have had mine for about 25 years, and it amazes me to get thumbs up from people driving expensive new cars.
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:31 AM   #6
RedRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Old vans rock!!
I agree!!!

Ive always been one for utility over trends. I got my bus when they were cheap and plentiful, plenty of parts in the yards and no one wanted to steal them. Ive put over 700K miles in the 25 years Ive owned her and hope to go over the million mile mark. The fact that its surpassed 1000 times my purchase price really makes no difference to me! It will never be cosmetically restored just mechanically improved for better performance and off road capability. People keep saying the bubble is going to burst but its been 7 years since and they keep breaking the 100K mark for restored deluxes. Even if it does and they are reasonably priced one day I know Ill never find another for $300 again!
Attached Images

RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoad View Post
I agree!!!

Ive always been one for utility over trends. I got my bus when they were cheap and plentiful, plenty of parts in the yards and no one wanted to steal them. Ive put over 700K miles in the 25 years Ive owned her and hope to go over the million mile mark. The fact that its surpassed 1000 times my purchase price really makes no difference to me! It will never be cosmetically restored just mechanically improved for better performance and off road capability. People keep saying the bubble is going to burst but its been 7 years since and they keep breaking the 100K mark for restored deluxes. Even if it does and they are reasonably priced one day I know Ill never find another for $300 again!
Cool bus! Its crazy what those old vdubbs bring, especially pre '68.

700k miles has got to be a record. You sir are hardcore!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #8
Manatee Poacher

I think Doc and Vectorit hit the nail on the head. Now that all the old cars are out of the price of the average Joe people are moving to trucks. The first old trucks to get popular were Toyota FJs, Broncos, and Jeeps. Now those are all way expensive, and guys are in search of something cool they can afford.

Not to mention you can do a hell of a lot more with a restored burb than you can a Chevelle.
Manatee Poacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
3drburb

Cool older rides with a lot of space.
About a year ago I was at the gas station on a late evening and a lady walked up to me while her family was also getting gas, with tears in her eyes, she told me about growing up with her family taking road trips from Seattle to Montana with her mom, dad and bother in a suburban (wearing no seat belts) just like mines even the same color. Long story short after sitting in the truck for a few minutes she then called her brother as she was thinking about the good old days and her dad.
I hear these types of stories a lot and most of these people wish and want own one or something similar for their families if only to drive once in a while.
So the hobby and memories continues.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

The people eventually come around to everything

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
4shongo

I think it is because they are different. I get asked all the time "what is it". Compared to when I had my 69 Camaro. Camaro was a lot nicer than my Burb, but the Burb was talked about more. Burbs give us the best of both worlds, size and comfort.
4shongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #12
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4shongo View Post
I think it is because they are different. I get asked all the time "what is it". Compared to when I had my 69 Camaro. Camaro was a lot nicer than my Burb, but the Burb was talked about more. Burbs give us the best of both worlds, size and comfort.
The same happens with our Burb. When we have the 56 and the Burb at a car show the Burb gets way more comments and questions. Except from guys 50 plus who always gravitate to the 56.

We have had a thing for Burbs since 1990 when we wanted a family vehicle that wasn't a mini van. Fell in love with them and about then decided an older Burb would be really cool as there weren't many around. I guess we always want something cool, yet a bit different than what everyone has.

Thinking about a Chevy wagon for the next project.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #13
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post

Thinking about a Chevy wagon for the next project.
People haulers in general are cool right now. I own a 15 Sub, a 72 Sub and recently purchased an 88 Pontiac Safari Wagon, I can haul my son's entire baseball team with my fleet!

I hope its a trend that is here to stay, but like all others, will probably shift to the next big thing. That being said, I really don't see anyone restoring a 95 Ford Aerostar van in 10 more years...
bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #14
oski6754

Cheap gasoline certainly helps. When we head back towards $5 a gallon, the trend will reverse course . . . quickly!
oski6754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:50 PM   #15
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oski6754 View Post
Cheap gasoline certainly helps. When we head back towards $5 a gallon, the trend will reverse course . . . quickly!
I will respectfully disagree with that. You see brand new Suburbans and others everywhere and they are only getting 16 to 23 mpg. But they start at $45,000. You can have an pretty nice 67-72 burb (or Travelall, or Wagoneer ,or....... oh wait you can't have a Ford, or a Dodge) for half that. I have a friend who sold his 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 last year and bought an old Scout. He said the money saved was going to put his daughter thru her first year at college. The cost of new trucks has reached the point where many folks can no longer justify it.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:28 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

These have always been cool and desired through the years, just as VW buses, station wagons, etc have been. Trends are for those who follow them. I don't see a trend, I just see more people coming around to them. I think many get into trucks after being car guys first. Once they drive them they realize there are limitations, such as only 2-3 people capacity and cargo in weather. They realize a Suburban can do much more than a pickup and still be a cool truck. In fact, they are less common, which makes them even cooler. People in the trend following mindset are people who need to see it first or know that others are doing it before they decide to go that route. People who go by knowing what they like/want, and just do it. When there are more seen, the trendy types follow.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #17
Dburger

I've noticed this resurgence in popularity also, but I still don't have any of my burbs registered

In addition to my burbs, I have had a Ford Gran Torino station wagon for the past 4 decades that I need to get running again also...another cool old car with space inside. It's even slightly longer than my Suburbans and can carry the same amount of people.
1967 C10 fleetside LWB, 1969 Chevy Suburban C10
1972 GMC Suburban C10
1972 Chevy Suburban C10 clam shell/tailgate
Dburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #18
indymachinist

I can point to my love of the 67-72 c10 from the first one I saw in high school. (late 90s) I loved it but couldn't get it. Now all these years later I decided I wanted to finally get one. I just always liked the body lines. Particularly the body lines of the step side.

I can also say cars and trucks these days are turning me off. A "full size" truck is overly gigantic, everything is full of computers that control every aspect of how you use them, and they are all too damn expensive.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #19
Alex V.

Good observations, all.

I, for one, have become more aware of the complexity of the electronics in today's cars (through owning my Cruze) and as someone that, if I buy a new car, intends to have it for a substantial time frame, I consider it a liability to have all those components that aren't engineered for the longevity I intend to see out of the hard parts (drivetrain, body, etc.), that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars to replace (not like a set of points - spare set stays in the glove box, cost: $15?), on top of the substantial sticker price I'd be chipping away at every month. Mostly out of curiosity, I checked up on the price of a new Chevy Colorado the other day; daydreaming that it might not be a bad move to trade in the Cruze on one in the next year or two, gain a 4x4 with a trailer hitch and an automatic trans. for the general ease of everyone but myself, and have something with a real chassis and longitudinal drivetrain. I found that a base model gets you a 2WD 4 cyl./manual, choice of white, black, or silver exterior color, and next to no available options list. The truck I had pictured in my driveway (at least a mid-level trim, 4-seater, 4x4, I-4 or V-6 auto in red or blue) is generously over $30,000, and considering that amount can pay off my Cruze and put both my Chevy trucks in fine condition, I'll happily pass. The only compact or mid-size SUV's from the big three that appeal to me are the Jeep Renegade and Wrangler; the Renegade is just too tame for me to drop another 10 grand and lose 10 MPG on vs. the Cruze for a "Jeep" that goes tipsy on 3-wheels over a decent curb, and the Wrangler's price + gas mileage make it financially impractical for the foreseeable future. The only other offering very high on my list is a Forester (wifey loves them and I approve), and that's another six grand over the Renegade but the same fuel economy out of a brand that has a particularly good reputation.

In short, if I went in for any of the above vehicles with our lower-middle class income (though we still hold down $600/mo. rent, car payment, insurance on 3 vehicles, and a little to spend on an average month) I'd have to de-tag and store everything except my '96 LeSabre just to have a second car. The consider that in 5 years any one of those rigs will be out of warranty with all those electronics just waiting to go bad and hit my checkbook, and I'm just as happy with my decision to keep a few old pieces around as when I started. I wonder if more people are acting on the same logic when they buy or put money into an older SUV, or if it's just me on that front.

True, also, that the classic passenger car market and the economy is hurting what people have to spend on "toys", hence the need to roll the family tow vehicle/SUV and hubby's classic hot rod into one vehicle. That seems to also be a mentionable contributor to the LS trend in our trucks.

Most of the replies here point to the hot rod/weekend cruiser/extra toy crowd or those that are already predisposed to keep chugging in their carbureted classics. But I also see a slight, but discernible trend in "millennials" catching on to older rigs that better facilitate functionality with frugality, going out of their way to use them for travel or utility in place of a newer alternative. Any input here?

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-26-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #20
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Good observations, all.

I, for one, have become more aware of the complexity of the electronics in today's cars (through owning my Cruze) and as someone that, if I buy a new car, intends to have it for a substantial time frame, I consider it a liability to have all those components that aren't engineered for the longevity I intend to see out of the hard parts (drivetrain, body, etc.), that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars to replace (not like a set of points - spare set stays in the glove box, cost: $15?), on top of the substantial sticker price I'd be chipping away at every month. Mostly out of curiosity, I checked up on the price of a new Chevy Colorado the other day; daydreaming that it might not be a bad move to trade in the Cruze on one in the next year or two, gain a 4x4 with a trailer hitch and an automatic trans. for the general ease of everyone but myself, and have something with a real chassis and longitudinal drivetrain. I found that a base model gets you a 2WD 4 cyl./manual, choice of white, black, or silver exterior color, and next to no available options list. The truck I had pictured in my driveway (at least a mid-level trim, 4-seater, 4x4, I-4 or V-6 auto in red or blue) is generously over $30,000, and considering that amount can pay off my Cruze and put both my Chevy trucks in fine condition, I'll happily pass. The only compact or mid-size SUV's from the big three that appeal to me are the Jeep Renegade and Wrangler; the Renegade is just too tame for me to drop another 10 grand and lose 10 MPG on vs. the Cruze for a "Jeep" that goes tipsy on 3-wheels over a decent curb, and the Wrangler's price + gas mileage make it financially impractical for the foreseeable future. The only other offering very high on my list is a Forester (wifey loves them and I approve), and that's another six grand over the Renegade but the same fuel economy out of a brand that has a particularly good reputation.

In short, if I went in for any of the above vehicles with our lower-middle class income (though we still hold down $600/mo. rent, car payment, insurance on 3 vehicles, and a little to spend on an average month) I'd have to de-tag and store everything except my '96 LeSabre just to have a second car. The consider that in 5 years any one of those rigs will be out of warranty with all those electronics just waiting to go bad and hit my checkbook, and I'm just as happy with my decision to keep a few old pieces around as when I started. I wonder if more people are acting on the same logic when they buy or put money into an older SUV, or if it's just me on that front.

True, also, that the classic passenger car market and the economy is hurting what people have to spend on "toys", hence the need to roll the family tow vehicle/SUV and hubby's classic hot rod into one vehicle. That seems to also be a mentionable contributor to the LS trend in our trucks.

Most of the replies here point to the hot rod/weekend cruiser/extra toy crowd or those that are already predisposed to keep chugging in their carbureted classics. But I also see a slight, but discernible trend in "millennials" catching on to older rigs that better facilitate functionality with frugality, going out of their way to use them for travel or utility in place of a newer alternative. Any input here?
That last sentence is exactly why the people that bought my '69 Suburban went the direction they did. It would haul the family, looked good, cheap to have worked on and they could actually drive it anywhere they could drive the vehicle it was replacing....... Electrical problems were driving them to the poor house with their previous car.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote