The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

Front diff whining noise

I've been hearing a slight whine, when driving around in my 12 Yukon xl Denali AWD. It's been present when driving at 40mph, hwy, etc., when throttle let off it goes away some. I recently changed all my fluids in both diffs and that seemed to help, but they had fine shavings on the magnets and the fluid looked shimmery. I'm sure original fluid and never changed after break in when new. Truck has about 80k miles.

Today I took to trans shop to have transmission and transfer case serviced with new fluids. I had then drive and they say the sound is coming from the carrier bearing on the front diff. His opinion was its usually better to just replace the entire unit with a good used/ remanufactured unit. Says labor is only 2hrs and that generally he's found the aluminum housing is too worn to just replace bearing.
Suggested LQR, said he's had good luck with them. I don't see then having one.

I called another shop and they'd like to see and give second opinion. Again, he says replace with a jasper unit. Jasper is about $2000, 3 yr 100,000 mile warranty.

I called GM dealer and they don't seem to have it available. I thought I had seen on one GM parts sites, but lost it. I also found a rebuilt unit by ATP automotive for $1600 with 5yr 100000 mile warranty.

Any thoughts on this? I understand that the metal in there could have eaten other parts up, so im not crazy about tying to just replace that bearing, but it's $40. If easy to replace, maybe it's worth a shot.

I see this is somewhat of a common problem on GMs but 2012 was skipped on the problem years.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
95 S_Trucker

Re: Front diff whining noise

All of the full time awd trucks have issues with longevity of the front differential.

Carrier bearings will require complete disassembly of the front differential. The metal shavings could have damaged other components. I would look for a remanufactured unit.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #3
MASTERBrian

I guess that's good to know. Is there a way to get a new GM unit or is it just remanufactured?

I don't argue Jasper is a good brand, but am I paying a lot for name? $500 more, plus messing with the core and a 3yr warranty vs 5yr seems big. Personally, I've never heard of ATP. They are sold at automotive supply and Amazon to name a few places, but Amazon says about 30 day to ship. So if an issue that does worry more, but maybe just an online glitch.

Other options? Are the companies generally better at rebuilding vs a local shop?

I don't think this is a rush, but then again not sure when it becomes one, so I want to start figuring it out.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
95 S_Trucker

I’ll try to look tomorrow at when I get to work.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:12 AM   #5
Bob B.

You mean LKQ? Their reman engines are pretty good. Sound advice to replace the whole axle with a reman..
Old 05-08-2019, 06:14 AM   #6
95 S_Trucker

I am unable to find an assembly from gm. What ratio do you have?

LKQ uses a third party for their rebuilt stuff. Lately it has been Global Powertrain Systems.

ATP is its own company.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:29 AM   #7
MASTERBrian

RPO code is GU6, I'm pretty certain that translates to 3.42.

Yes, LKQ