The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
c20pickup

dumb question. fuel pump

alright, heres what ive got.
new motor
holley big end mechanical fuel pump
lightweight push rod for the fuel pump.

how do I put this on my engine? do I just push the fuel rod into the hole in the block then bolt up the fuel pump along with a gasket? or is there more to it? this is coming from a guy who can rebuild just about anything haha but I still don't know how to put one of these on, go figure haha. when I tore the engine down the fuel rod wasn't even in there, the pump was there but no fuel rod was present, someone had added an electric pump (its being taken off, im going full mechanical) and im guessing they were to cheap to buy a block off plate for the mechanical pump so they just took the rod out, well anyways this didn't help much because I couldn't see how it came apart, therefore don't know how it goes together. advice would be great!
c20pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
hayhauler71

Re: dumb question. fuel pump

lube the rod with some oil and install rod the rest you told yourself how to do it is just that easy
Old 11-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
bbcmudtruck

Yep, just poke it up in the hole with some moly lube on the ends and bolt the pump up. A trick to help you hold the rod in place is to screw a bolt lightly up against the rod through the front of the block. You will see the bolt hole I'm talking about once you look for it. You will need a longer bolt to temporarily hold the fuel rod in place. However if you use a dab of moly lube, you can get lucky sometimes and the lube will hold it up there for you while you put the pump on.
bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
c20pickup

thanks guys appreciate it! if i remember right there is some kind of metal spacer the goes between the block and pump, is there such a thing or am i mistaken and there is just a gasket between the two?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
WIDESIDE72

There is an adapter plate that mates the block to the pump. If there was a pump mounted youre good to go, just a gasket. Be sure to put a short bolt in the hole mentioned above when youre done or you will have a massive oil leak.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
c20pickup

thansk guys. appreciate the help! looks like im going to have to get me a plate, i lost my old one, oh well, they cant be to expensive