The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
72ghost

oil leaking from (rear main seal)??? worth replacing??

hey guys. what i have is a 396 big block. I bought the engine last year from a budy who had it rebuily and lost interest in it. So anywho. I ran the engine in my 72 k5 for about 6 months only drove the thing about once a week and for about an hour, noticed every time it was parked that a small leak would start from the rear of the oil pan. Just figured it was the oil pan gasket. I pulled the engine and replaced the gasket taking extra care to make sure it was done correct. To make a long story short, its still leaking! nothing too crazy but maybe a drop or two in idle (assuming more in higher RPMs). So now i'm prety sure its the rear main seal thats doing the leaking. My question is, is this seal worth replacing? i've heard that BBC rear main seals are notorious for leaking period, i'm at the point that the truck isnt all puit back together from the first tear down so right now would be the time to pull the engine, just want to know if its even worth re-sealing the main seal???? any opionions or comments would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
72ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Lee H

Re: oil leaking from (rear main seal)??? worth replacing??

I'm my opinion, if it's a fresh quality rebuild then yes it's worth I to fix the leak. Most rear main leaks turn out to be intake, valve cover, oil sender, ect leaks. I'd clean it off real good and find the leak, you may luck out with a fresh set of valve cover gaskets.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Investigate all the possibilities of leaks on top of the engine like Lee H said. Many a "rear main" oil leak was actually coming from the top of the engine.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
72ghost

Hey guys thanks for he input....I looked all over for a possible valve cover, intake manifold, oil sender leak and found nothing. So I pulled the engine out, yanked the fly wheel off and took a look at the main seal and it does appear to be leaking from there, the two freeze plugs in the back seem a little oily, is it possible that the freeze plugs are leaking?
Posted via Mobile Device
72ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ghost View Post
Hey guys thanks for he input....I looked all over for a possible valve cover, intake manifold, oil sender leak and found nothing. So I pulled the engine out, yanked the fly wheel off and took a look at the main seal and it does appear to be leaking from there, the two freeze plugs in the back seem a little oily, is it possible that the freeze plugs are leaking?
Posted via Mobile Device
oil gallery plugs ? i would change every plug back there now ,its cheap to do ,also change the rear main as well ,

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
geezer#99

While you have it apart put the pan back on without any gaskets. See how it sits along the sides and the gap around the curve on the back. I had one that was warped and kept squeezing out the rear rubber gasket making it leak.
Slip a flashlight inside first so the light shows thru the gap. A little hammer work will cure it. Or a big hammer and chunk of pipe. LOL!!!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote