The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
Dleslie212

Anybody here running a Holley Sniper EFI?

Looking for thoughts and experiences with the Sniper EFI system. I’m thinking of picking one up as my next upgrade for my 350/700R4 combo.
Dleslie212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Anybody here running a Holley Sniper EFI?

Have you seen this thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=sniper
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #3
donw1986

Im running the MSD atomic, since my trucks an 86 ad i live in commiefornia,i love it it runs great way better than yhe carb that was on there and its smog legal here
donw1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
Nick_R_23

Stay away from it, it’s a junk system. Had nothing but problems with mine, Holley strung me along waiting for backordered replacement parts, then refused any help once it was out of warranty and still didn’t function correctly. It was such garbage that I ended up selling the entire vehicle and moved on to something else.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
Dleslie212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
Stay away from it, it’s a junk system. Had nothing but problems with mine, Holley strung me along waiting for backordered replacement parts, then refused any help once it was out of warranty and still didn’t function correctly. It was such garbage that I ended up selling the entire vehicle and moved on to something else.
I’m actually reading about quite a few unhappy people.

Did a little research on the MSD system that DonW1986 mentioned... so far I’m liking what I’m seeing.

DonW1986, did you install that yourself?
Old 07-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #6
Loco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by donw1986 View Post
Im running the MSD atomic, since my trucks an 86 ad i live in commiefornia,i love it it runs great way better than yhe carb that was on there and its smog legal here
I'm interested in the Atomic for my 83, how did you get around all the computer wiring and vacuum lines to make this work and pass smog?
Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #7
sweetk30

yep guess i dont need to post a link to my thread since someone else did already .

i got hit so hard i had my own bumper stickers made up for the sniper to show how much i hate it .

over a year now on my edelbrock pro flo - 4 unit and its been SUPER

reading and watching the edelbrock forum there has been a decent # of people jumping ship and coming over all with the same bad story's from holley .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
SKR

I have one and it works fine for me. The only complaint I'd have is that if you're looking for technical support on their forum, the guy that runs the place is completely useless and will talk to you like you're stupid.

Having said all that, if I was going to do it again I wouldn't go with a Sniper. If you ever want to run a transmission like a 4L60 or 80, you need to engineer a solution for the TPS. Holley's stance is that if you want to run one of those transmissions you shouldn't have bought a Sniper. I'd also rather have multiport injection than a throttle body.

But it does what it's supposed to do in my case.
SKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #9
Dleslie212

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKR View Post
I have one and it works fine for me. The only complaint I'd have is that if you're looking for technical support on their forum, the guy that runs the place is completely useless and will talk to you like you're stupid.

Having said all that, if I was going to do it again I wouldn't go with a Sniper. If you ever want to run a transmission like a 4L60 or 80, you need to engineer a solution for the TPS. Holley's stance is that if you want to run one of those transmissions you shouldn't have bought a Sniper. I'd also rather have multiport injection than a throttle body.

But it does what it's supposed to do in my case.
Needs to be engineered as far as something for a TV cable? I don’t know much about transmissions. Is that something I’d have to worry about on a 700R4?

Last edited by Dleslie212; 07-10-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #10
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco83 View Post
I'm interested in the Atomic for my 83, how did you get around all the computer wiring and vacuum lines to make this work and pass smog?
Click on the "Emisions" tab. It states what it's legal for. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...tbi/parts/2900
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:49 PM   #11
SKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleslie212 View Post
Needs to be engineered as far as something for a TV cable? I don’t know ,UCB about transmissions. Is that something I’d have to worry about on a 700R4?
For the last couple years I've been debating with myself about swapping my TH350 out for a 4L80. It needs a separate TPS for the transmission controller to work. Holley doesn't have and won't make a solution for that. Their only answer is "you should have bought a Terminator".

I don't know if you'd face the same problem with a 700R4. I've never looked into it before.
SKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #12
Nick_R_23

They do make a 700r4 linkage part for the Sniper, but you run into an issue that the Sniper does not use conventional Holley throttle linkage, it uses proprietary Demon carb linkage.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #13
SCOTI

Just my take.... I think ANY aftermarket EFI set-up that has the ECU epoxied in the unit & sits on top of a hot motor is only going to be trouble(FiTech/Sniper).

MSD's might be slightly different but I've had enough of their coils & ign boxes fail over the last few years that I wouldn't consider them either.

I have been looking into either Edelbrock ProFlo-4 or the higher end Holley stuff that has the ECU mounted separate of the throttle body. The more tuning support available (for the user or a pro-source), the better off you are because the 'self learning' is definitely a sales pitch from most of the things I've read.

#yourresultsmayvary
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:32 AM   #14
SSSilverado

I got Edelbrock E Street V2 back in 2017, they're discontinued now, but I like mine, and I hear good things about the Pro Flo 4, it's a more efficient EFI. I'm diehard GM and Edelbrock. I like my ECU is away from engine on fender, plus I like using my tablet wireless for tuning. I had to hook up my 700R4 TV cable, but Edelbrock made an adapter, but I had to fit it, nothin's easy.
Attached Images

Last edited by SSSilverado; 07-12-2020 at 12:48 AM.
SSSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:47 AM   #15
SSSilverado

ECU on fender, had to make a bracket. It was a lot of extra work, but runs good, starts right up, I still need to do some tuning. I'm almost done with my 4 year long rebuild. Had this truck for 25 yrs, it's a sentimental effort. Every step was a SoB.
Update: The Edelbrock stuff was fine, no problems really, it's the rest of the truck was the pain.
Attached Images

Last edited by SSSilverado; 07-13-2020 at 01:43 PM.
SSSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #16
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleslie212 View Post
Looking for thoughts and experiences with the Sniper EFI system. I’m thinking of picking one up as my next upgrade for my 350/700R4 combo.
Sniper is not an upgrade. It's a migraine! Nothing but problems. Biggest mistake I've ever made. On the other hand, my Pro-flo 4 is one of the best upgrades I've ever made. Just speaking from experience.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:46 PM   #17
mrtoni

It’s amazing the pro/cons reviews on the sniper. I’m doing one soon so I’ll chime in. My main concern is implementing on a non running engine whether I have to buy a carb to get it running before efi
Posted via Mobile Device
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #18
Nick_R_23

You’d be better off buying a carb and just sticking with that!
Old 07-13-2020, 04:20 PM   #19
liftlawssuck

I have had the opportunity to reinstall about 4 of them now. Yes reinstall after the owners couldn't get them to run good. All of them had the same in common. All were GM cars running HEI ignition. The 1st was the learning curve for me. Many talks with Holley and figured it out.

The first I found was the wiring on all the installs were horrible at best. Anything with an ECM needs to be the best wiring you can do. Clean dedicated power and grounds.

The 2nd was EMI being induced into the ECM in the throttle body. I stuck some tin foil between the HEI and throttle body and all problems went away. So I took all the wiring off again and wrapped them with shielding.

You can't have exhaust leaks either as it will throw the O2 sensor off.

After all this the test drive went great with fine tuning the whole time. All the cars run great with no issues in the 4 years or so they've been on.

If you put these on a motor with distributor in the front the EMI isn't an issue. Or at least as much an issue.

Are they the best? No I don't think so. Do they work? Yes and they wake the motor up like never before. Do they have problems? No question of that. They have problems but Holley has always been great to work with. Would I put one on anything I have? No I wouldn't. I can't see spending the money myself. I'd rather do an LS swap if I wanted fuel injection.

Hope this helps!!
liftlawssuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:29 PM   #20
Nick_R_23

I ran into EMI issues with mine, however it was with an MSD distributor. The stock HEI eliminates that, but gave up timing control. An additional $500 for the special Holley distributor PLUS an adapter to go between the same brand products was extremely frustrating. You would think that mounting an ECU in the center of all the ignition, electronics, and fueling on the engine would be enough to justify shielding the ECU. Holley will blow smoke up your ass and tell you all day long that it’s shielded, but it definitely isn’t.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #21
SunSoaked

Depends. You running a roller cam? If yes, you can fire it up on Sniper. If no, you can still do it just a little more tricky hoping you can get the idle set quickly and you pick the right map to keep the a/f ratios in the safe zone until it can learn.

If you've already taken the plunge, I wouldn't stress over the initial fire up at this point.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #22
liftlawssuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
I ran into EMI issues with mine, however it was with an MSD distributor. The stock HEI eliminates that, but gave up timing control. An additional $500 for the special Holley distributor PLUS an adapter to go between the same brand products was extremely frustrating. You would think that mounting an ECU in the center of all the ignition, electronics, and fueling on the engine would be enough to justify shielding the ECU. Holley will blow smoke up your ass and tell you all day long that it’s shielded, but it definitely isn’t.
2 of the ones I worked on had Holley distributors the other 2 had stock HEI type. Both had EMI issues. I agree that they should never have let this thing leave Holley without shielding from the factory. I had great luck with Holley over the years. Most guys I talked with mentioned EMI right off the bat.
liftlawssuck is offline   Reply With Quote