The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
G-NUT

front tire to firewall clearance square burb with Porterbuilt

Anyone have any pics or comments on front tire to firewall clearance on a squarebody truck or more specifically a suburban when dropped using a Porterbuilt suspension?

I have installed my Porterbuilt level 3 front dropmember and components; still have work to do, and I'm waiting on my Bonspeed wheels to come in (been waiting 9 months). I was mocking up my tires and it looks like they may hit or be very close to the firewall. Which is odd since I've seen tons of pics of the trucks running 22's and 24's on dropmembers. I've already ordered 22/24 setup and have the tires. 265/35/22 and 295/30/24

SOLD: 1985 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 3+3 Crew Cab Long Bed
G-NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: front tire to firewall clearance square burb with Porterbuilt

My dually is not an apples to apples comparison but it could provide some insight.

I'm using basically the same OD front tire size @ 29". My truck has a 1.5" pancaked front x-member, 3" spindles, bags, PB's 1" forward lower a-arms, & Slosh Tubs. With my front x-member and un-modified/taller frame rails @ the front cab mounts flat on the ground, there is barely any clearance @ the factory A/C blower motor. I mean less than1/4" clearance....

If the stock HVAC set-up is removed, I would think you would be fine just airing out given it's depth & the fact that your wheel base should be pushed forward more w/a Dropmember. Cruising @ a super low height might be 'iffy' once the wheels are turned though.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #3
G-NUT

Re: front tire to firewall clearance square burb with Porterbuilt

Thanks for the detailed info. I've cut off the bottom of my frame rails that hung below the pinch weld. I welded into the frame some 2x4 tubing. I re-enforced the ends with steel plate where it joins back into the stock frame.

I ended up removing my stock AC components. Will go back with Vintage Air, probably be next Spring.

SOLD: 1985 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 3+3 Crew Cab Long Bed
G-NUT is offline   Reply With Quote