The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2020, 11:51 PM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Possibly Buying a '75 Squarebody

I have a line on a local '75 C20 long bed. I want another truck, to haul stuff that I don't want to put in the bed of my '70. I want to know if there are some pitfalls, like if the truck came from out of state. I have no interest in making major rust repairs. Are there any places of special interest for corrosion beyond what we see in the earlier trucks? It has an engine from a mid-90s Impala, and some electric instead of belt-driven accessories. TBH, I would like a step side made anywhere from '48 to '75, but I'll take a fleet side if that is all that comes up in a reasonable search. I'll be looking at it tomorrow. Not much notice, I realize, but I just spotted it. TIA for any input. I'm not in any real hurry, so if this one falls out of favor, that's fine.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:01 AM   #2
Matt Man

Re: Possibly Buying a '75 Squarebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I have a line on a local '75 C20 long bed. I want another truck, to haul stuff that I don't want to put in the bed of my '70. I want to know if there are some pitfalls, like if the truck came from out of state. I have no interest in making major rust repairs. Are there any places of special interest for corrosion beyond what we see in the earlier trucks? It has an engine from a mid-90s Impala, and some electric instead of belt-driven accessories. TBH, I would like a step side made anywhere from '48 to '75, but I'll take a fleet side if that is all that comes up in a reasonable search. I'll be looking at it tomorrow. Not much notice, I realize, but I just spotted it. TIA for any input. I'm not in any real hurry, so if this one falls out of favor, that's fine.
Being a 45 year old truck even for California, more and likely is will have some rust. Look carefully at the cab corners, inner/outer rockers, floorboards, under the windshield and rear window gaskets, bottoms of the front fenders, behind the rear tires, bottom of the core support, lower doors and finally the front edge of the hood. Besides the corrosion issues these trucks have, the c20 is pretty stout. It should have a full float 14 bolt rear end which is good. Since you are in California make sure it is actually a 75 so you do not have to play the smog clown act game. The truck could have a lot of corrosion issues if it lived by the beach. Parts are very cheap and plentiful still so it is a good option for a hauler. Good luck and let us know what unfolds.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #3
Dead Parrot

If you are truly after a work truck instead of a project truck, the 73-87 squares can tolerate a lot of body rust and still be sound work trucks.

In addition to the list above, check the frame for rust. Some trucks from the NE have been fixed up but can still have a rust pile for a frame. Also the frame where the steering box is mounted. K variants often crack there and C variants sometimes. If it has a good heavy duty bumper, you won't need a hitch unless you plan on towing a heavy trailer. Depending on the bumper, they can be rated from 3500~10,000lbs.

If it has a hitch, check for a spare tire. Aftermarket hitches often result in a PO removing the spare hanger.

Body molding can be a rust trap. Especially the stuff that was glued on.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Thanks, guys. I'm lucky with my Longhorn in my signature, as it's been in California its entire life. It had original black plates on it when I met my wife. It was her father's truck.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 06-29-2020, 03:12 AM   #5
ShortHaul

This the truck in question?

https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d...146594998.html

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...49#post8769049
”Otis” 1970 C10 SWB -SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=762766
”Chebby” 1962 Impala LS/TKO-500
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...2-Impala-Build
ShortHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:31 AM   #6
cadillac_al

^^^^This truck would be considered mint around here. I wouldn't even have to look under it.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

It has an old school LT series small block. With Caprice/F-body accessory drive and gear driven water pump. I cant tell if it has the option-spark, or if they have converted to a distributor.
Odd swap engine, but if it works, it works...just dont see it that often.

Bubba
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Yup, that's it. I'm waiting for the guy to call me back for a time to go look at it. I don't want to appear too eager, but I'll call him again if he doesn't get back to me today. It's for one of my sons. He's driving an '05 Corolla and it isn't the right vehicle for when he does handyman work. He's not driving long distance, so the mileage won't hurt too bad.

As for the body, I'll just have to wait and see. I'm allergic to rust.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 06-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #9
Matt Man

Truck doesn't look too bad for that price if it had a little bit of rust and if it just going to be a workhorse I wouldn't worry about that aspect too much. The cab corner and lower back side of the drivers door looks to have a few bubbles.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:05 PM   #10
jocko

another square-only malady is the dreaded hood bulge/bend (front to back). Red/white above appears to have almost no sign of that, and overall, a very nice truck. Was checking it out about a week ago on CL, looks like a very nice buy to me at the asking price. To be honest, all the electric accessories would cause me more worry than the body on this one - that'd be the first thing I'd dump - elec wp, fans, etc (not the fp though ) Not sure why anyone would install those on a truck like this - clearly not trying to shave a thou off the 'ol ET... Anyway, those are minor things (to me), I think this would be a real nice truck to buy personally.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:13 PM   #11
jocko

Btw, here's another really nice 75 C20 for your consideration. This might be a good option too - if you bought it, then you'd have an excuse to buy another one so as to keep this bed intact too... (just thinkin ahead...)
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2020, 08:15 PM   #12
Old Truck Man

The wiring and gauges can be a nightmare on those trucks. Check every light turn signals ect. twist every knob and push and pull every button. they also rust at the top of the rear wheel wells. The rear brakes tend to not work.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #13
jocko

FWIW, here's another one with a decent price: 74 C20 Cheyenne Camper Special $3K
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #14
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Btw, here's another really nice 75 C20 for your consideration. This might be a good option too - if you bought it, then you'd have an excuse to buy another one so as to keep this bed intact too... (just thinkin ahead...)
Quote:
FWIW, here's another one with a decent price: 74 C20 Cheyenne Camper Special $3K
The Arizona truck is already gone!

That blue thing looks nice but it's a long way away, and I won't buy without laying my eyes on it.

I consider those electrics to be iffy as well. Give me a dumb old water pump any time. I suspect that the "electronic" fuel pump is from the injection system if that is what it has.

Old Truck Man- the gas gauge already doesn't work.

I was supposed to look at it last weekend, but the guy didn't get back to me until yesterday. I'll be looking at it on Friday.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-03-2020, 08:07 PM   #15
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Yeah, now he's decided to take it off the market. Either it goes back on at a higher price or he's just harvesting phone numbers. We'll see. Been really flaky to get hold of. I have a line on 3 more trucks, just not in the square body years. Whatever, I just want another truck.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #16
Factory Guy

Quote:
Great looking truck!
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #17
ShortHaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factory Guy View Post
Great looking truck!
Yeah that blue one is a great buy... And blessed with the old "misspelled craiglist title" that'll keep it from popping up in all but the most discerning of search results...

Keep your eye out. They'll pop up. That red one seemed like a bit of a basket case too.. While certainly not impossible to fix, random motor swaps and wonky wiring situations sound like a headache to me. These trucks are fairly simple until we start messing with them!
Old 07-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #18
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factory Guy View Post
Great looking truck!
I like it too. But all the way to Spokane? Hmm, maybe he'll take a good-running '05 Toyota Corolla for it?

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-04-2020, 02:11 PM   #19
jocko

I've been hesitant in the past about buying sight unseen and across the country, but once you jump in the pool, the water is warm. Question is, why IS it warm...
Trucks are like a box o chocloates, as they say. When I do buy sight unseen (and at a distance), I assume the absolute worst - and am usually pleasantly surprised. THE question is - if you assume the absolute worst, is it still a great deal even if a little more work than desired to fix the worst-ness (and the shipping cost)? If yes, then that's when I am willing to take a leap. That blue one seems to fall into this category. If sight-unseen is the only concern with the blue truck - might be worth a shout out to a savvy member in that area to check it out for you - then you can confirm condition and at least know the seller isn't a 14 y/o hacker in his parents' basement.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:38 PM   #20
ShortHaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I like it too. But all the way to Spokane? Hmm, maybe he'll take a good-running '05 Toyota Corolla for it?
You never know! Cruise up in the 'Rolla, cruise home in the Cheyenne!

Quote:
I've been hesitant in the past about buying sight unseen and across the country, but once you jump in the pool, the water is warm. Question is, why IS it warm...
Trucks are like a box o chocloates, as they say. When I do buy sight unseen (and at a distance), I assume the absolute worst - and am usually pleasantly surprised. THE question is - if you assume the absolute worst, is it still a great deal even if a little more work than desired to fix the worst-ness (and the shipping cost)? If yes, then that's when I am willing to take a leap. That blue one seems to fall into this category. If sight-unseen is the only concern with the blue truck - might be worth a shout out to a savvy member in that area to check it out for you - then you can confirm condition and at least know the seller isn't a 14 y/o hacker in his parents' basement.
Jocko (as usual) makes excellent sense... A good ol fashioned phone call to the seller can tell you lots about the condition of a vehicle, or tell you nothing, which in turn can tell you lots In the case of the truck that started this thread, seller was shady, hard to get ahold of, full of conflicting info... chances are the truck was too... Who knows, maybe you get the owner of the blue one in Spokane on the line and he's a good ol boy who has mountains of maintenance records and an entire history of the truck... maybe he's savvy with a phone and would love to take a ton of pics or even a video to send your way...

Or... maybe he's sketchy too and it's not worth your time. Either way it can't hurt to try!

I've recently bought 3 Chevy trucks sight unseen, and road tripped each one of them home over 1k miles. I've had varied results... my first attempt was one I would have likely walked away from had I not been invested in it so much... but it grew on me and it ended up being an experience I don't regret. The next was my '75 Cheyenne named Sweet Pea (Voted This month's Truck of the Month!) and I have been extremely happy with that purchase. And lastly I returned home about a week ago with a '75 Suburban from the Seattle area. I'm still digging into it and definitely finding things I'd have been wary about had I been able to see it in person prior to making the deal. However I'm still convinced it was a good buy, and one I would have made either way. This being said, the price for these trucks is extremely high in my area (norcal) and I think overall I've managed to do OK with the purchases so far. I would bet that blue Cheyenne would fetch a far higher price down in SoCal, assuming its not a complete rust bucket underneath...

All in all, buying a car sight unseen is taking a risk of course... but even the ones we buy local and have all the time in the world to scrutinize will end up surprising us some way or another!

Best of luck either way...