The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
DriveLikeYaStoleIt

49 3100 Build

I decided to start up a build thread with my 49 that my father gave me. She was originally a farm truck from Nebraska. My father was the 3rd owner and I am now number 4 of course. The original truck as I remember it had a 350 4 bolt main with 327 heads. 4 on the floor trans. My father bought it over 30 years ago and so it's got a lot of sentimental value for us. During his last years living in New Orleans (approx 15 years ago), he found a "reputable" streetrod builder who told him that an early 80's front frame section would weld up and have no problems. Unfortunately he didn't talk to me before he had that all done. We had a spare set of heads stolen while it was in this guys care as well as the factory steering column. So now what I have is a 49 body on a scrap metal frame.

We recently picked up a 50 parts truck that a guy was looking to get rid of. We technically have enough parts to build 2 full trucks right now but a lot of the body parts we got have some serious cancer. The good side of the purchase is a 400ci and 700R4 transmission and a factory frame that has had a Camaro front subframe welded on. Since the guy who we bought it from was second purchaser he couldn't tell us what year Camaro it came out of. (if anyone knows of a way we can find out I would be greatly appreciative. So as of late my garage is taken up with 2 trucks and my basement is becoming a parts storage warehouse I plan to put my truck on the other frame and work from there. We have given ourselves 1 year to at least have it in a condition to drive it up and down my street under it's own power. I'm hoping I can have it painted by then also but we shall see. All work will be done by myself and my father and/or friends who have the abilities to show me what I need to do or just turn wrenches.

I'll attach a few pics here so that you get an idea of where we are at. Sorry for the quality in advance.. Cell phone pics aren't the best always..

Pic 1 is how it was when it was brought into our family.
Pic 2 is when we got the parts truck in my garage just a side by side.
Pic 3 shows no bed on the parts truck (hood storage for now hehe).
Pic 4 shows both front ends with out the front clips on them.

-Dave
Attached Images

Last edited by DriveLikeYaStoleIt; 06-09-2012 at 09:29 PM.
DriveLikeYaStoleIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: 49 3100 Build

Nice trucks seems to me the hard work of changing the front suspension are done.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
DriveLikeYaStoleIt

yep.. I've been trying to decide exactly what I want to do suspension wise down the road. I have always been a fan of airbag suspensions but not sure yet on this build. My big decision at this point in time is to build and use the 400 or the 350.. Drove it with the 350 20 years ago while I was in high school and loved it.. But, it hasn't been cranked in the last 10 years.. Have a lot of work to do in my time frame and all on a tight budget..
Old 06-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
oldman3

Dave, I'm NO expert on the camaro stub, but have talked to a few guys who have put them in. Most say they are to wide, and you have to change upper and lower control arms (shorter ones) or have to have more backspacing on the wheels, and then you have to make sure they don't hit the arms from lock to lock. I would mount the front fenders with the braces in place and see if you have any clearance problems....Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
DriveLikeYaStoleIt

Yeah Jim, I've been reading up quite a bit about them myself. I've read the same things out there.. I will make sure to check that out. Right now the one with Camaro front subframe is sitting on Camaro RS wheels. It may take a little more work with the Camaro subframe but at least I have something I can build from. I'll keep those tips in mind! Gotta swap The cabs over first!

-Dave