The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Fantasy Build

I'm currently layed up going through cancer treatment and will probably not see the inside of my shop for another 45 to 60 days. Then once I do get in I may not be able to work more than a few hours each week as I recover.

That is my reality today and meanwhile I've been sitting in a recliner thinking through the projects I'd be building if I were home and healthy. And describing one of those is what this project thread is about.

My wife wants a stock looking hot rod truck. Since I do '47 to '54 she is stuck with one of those. I have a strong bias toward the '54/'55 1st GMC but she likes the earlier Chevy grill better, so I'm doing a '47 to '53 for her. I have a 5-window cab from a '49 or '50 1-ton I parted out a few years ago, so I'll use that cab.

The 1-ton frame is gone even if I wanted to use it on this project, so I'm going to use a '52 GMC Suburban frame. Using this frame will mean removing the extra Suburban/panel body brackets and it will also mean swapping the GMC front crossmember for a Chevy crossmember.

My current thought is that I'll rebuild the stock front axle and springs, and I'll put a 5-lug disk kit and power steering kit on it. Out back I'll use an S-10 4x4 rear axle I already have along with one of the spring mount kits for 3-inch axles.

I'll also order up engine and transmission crossmembers to mount a small block and automatic, choosing between several tired small blocks I have to refresh one of them and mount it ahead of a TH350.

I have a collection of rusty fenders and will pick through the pile for the best pair front and rear to mount on this truck. I have the bed sides, tailgate and front from a '49 3100 but no cross sills, so I may build my own to mount the bed.

My wife is short so I think buckets seat make the most sense in something she will drive and others will ride it. I have a very ratty set of C4 Corvette buckets that will need recovering before she will use them, but with those as the anchor I think I'll do a spartan interior around them.

I don't have an appropriate set of wheels and tires for what I've described. I think the best answer is probably to order a set of artillery wheels I've seen a number of vendors offer and buy tires to suit.

What am I forgetting? I suspect I'm going to find the rear lowered dramatically by my approach and will either need to raise it or lower the front.

I do need to purchase a bunch of parts to make this happen, but they are all standard vendor things so I'm not worried about them. The parts that are old truck stuff I think all exists in my junk pile.

This is months from being more than something I think about, but I'd appreciate any feedback on the proposed build. Maybe when I actually start the project it will move much faster as a result!

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Re: Fantasy Build

Good luck with the recovery.
I have done the same building projects in my head.
I'll be trying to get to sleep in bed and can't get because I'm doing a build.

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Tommy2tone

Wish you well on your recovery. I went through a battle last year with prostate cancer. Radiation sure knocks you down for a bit. I have a 54 GMC cab on an S10 frame with 53 chevy fenders and grille. I will be psting that build on here.
Good luck.
Tommy2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
NONHOG

A/C, P/S, air ride bags ? for ease of getting in/out ?
dynamat for noise reduction ?
sounds good Steve !
Old 05-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I as well wish you luck in your battle against cancer! Good luck and have fun dreaming up the build. I am always doing that in my head. It gets me into trouble a lot!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Kim57

Prayers sent for a speedy and full recovery.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
Steve@OldSub.com

I plan to do this on the cheap so air conditioning and bags and such probably won't be part of the plan. At least not in the first go round. Dynamat though, that's something worth considering!

Thank you guys for the kind words and prayers. This was supposed to be about the truck not the cancer, but I guess I explained too much.

Steve@OldSub.com
Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

My situation is similar but different. I have degenerative disc disease in all major levels of my spine. I've had a fusion in my neck and lower back as well as two other surgeries. I can only do so much at a time and my projects take longer then most...but as I've told the wife...I'm in pain anyway so I'd rather be doing something I enjoy that takes my mind of off it...and thats turning wrenches. I build for today (short term)...as I may not be able to tomorrow (long term).

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
OrrieG

Good luck with your treatment and recovery. My BIL went through surgery and radiation for lip/jaw/neck/lymph cancer. It was a tough 6 months but he has been cancer free for 4 years and has recovered 100%. Kind of wishes he hadn't chewed all those years....

Didn't see it mentioned but I am assuming you are thinking tilt column. I'm vertically challenged myself and got and eldo column with tilt and telescope.

Last edited by OrrieG; 05-20-2010 at 09:03 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
Steve@OldSub.com

Yes I'll run a tilt column, and since this is for my five foot tall wife I might use a telescopic column since I have one. The tele column has a column shift though, and I'm not sure I want to do that.

Until you posed the question I was thinking I'd either use a '72 pickup tilt column because of its simple look or a late 70's Monte Carlo because it does not have a shifter but does have all the other controls.

Now I have to think through this part of the build... And that is exactly why I posted this, so thanks for helping me get it started!

Steve@OldSub.com
Old 06-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
Handfull 54

I wish you a total recovery. I would build her a 54 but if and older one is what she wants then do it. Keep on comming up with new ideas it will make you feel better.
Handfull 54 is offline   Reply With Quote