The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2003, 04:48 PM   #1
pmiller

57 Frame question

I have a 57 GMC pickup and am trying to figure out what is wrong. The VIN says that it should be a longbed, but the wheelbase is 114" and the bed is from the wrong year. The engine is the correct 347ci, but am unsure if it is the original. Can anyone tell me if the frame rails from a shortbed were all one piece or if two pieces were welded together? I think that either someone cut the frame to a shortbed or put the cab on a shortbed frame.
pmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 05:20 PM   #2
Seon

It's not unusual for someone to switch the cab from a long wheel base to a short base. If the frame has been shortened you'll see a vertical weld that attached the frame together. There's vin marking stamped on the frame...I think it's located on top of the frame front of the cab..forgot if it's on the left or right side. As long as it's registered, there's nothing to be concerned about unless you're looking for match numbers truck.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 05:33 PM   #3
pmiller

Yes, there is a vertical line on the frame. The reason I ask is because I wanted to see how original the truck is before I start working on it. If it is the original frame I might want to put it back to a longbed. I'll have to look for the number on the frame. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:54 AM   #4
Seon

If it is suppose to be a long wheel base, then I'd just find a long bed frame and swap the cab, then find another bed.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:33 AM   #5
pmiller

Do you know of any places I can find a frame? I did some searching, but was unable to find any frames.