The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2003, 02:44 AM   #1
lookin59

1959 Chevy Apache Fleetside

Any advice for a newbie looking hard at buying a 1959 Chevy Apache Fleetside for restoration? What does it take besides money to tackle such a project? I know I want to restore an old truck but I've never taken on such a project. My experience includes rebuilding the front end of a 70' Olds Cutlass Supreme, replacing a 283 in a 67' Chevelle and numerous shade tree work from oil changes to clutch replacements all over a twenty year period. I've got a garage I can reserve for the project and tools are not a problem. At the start money for the project seems an acceptable challenge but I'm blind to the cost involved in a purchasing original parts. I'm not newbie enough to know I can't do it in a weekend. In fact, I look forward to occasionally working on the restoration over a long period of time. Hey, its cheaper than a psychologist, right? For now I 'm planning on restoring, driving it and then selling it for another project. Probably fishing. What this project going to take?
lookin59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:38 AM   #2
ljbear

The 55-59 pickups are very straight forward from a mechanical point of view, and based on your background don't see any problems there. The body will probably be the biggest obstacle, but if you shop you can overcome that just by being picky about what you buy. These trucks usually have rust in the door hinge area, the cab steps, and the cab corners. If you find a solid cab with decent doors you will be way ahead of the game. If you are looking for original parts you may have trouble, but there are endless companies that make nearly every piece you want or neeed. The best I can offer is to be patient, and find a solid truck. Even if you spend a little more up front it will save you at the other end.

Larry

72 Chevy SWB 4x4
71 Chevy SWB 4x4

My Work Truck

"Don't confuse enthusiasm with capability"
ljbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 01:56 AM   #3
lookin59

Found one

Larry

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure I was going to see much activity to my request. Anyhow, I found a 59' Apache 31 Fleetside. Seems mostly original except for the mufflers - I'll need to research more but they seem to be a type of glass pack. I've ordered the Chevy manuals necessary for assembly and so forth. The truck has the 283 V 8 which seems to be mostly stock except for the valve covers, alternater, air filter and carb. Should be easy to replace in the restoration. Its not running, yet. The gas is probably old. So I'll clean the fuel line, check the spark and go from there. It looks good. the paint is faded and the body is relatively smooth. The Grill is chrome and faded, too. Its an Arizona truck the rust being isolated in the headlight cover plate. Its rusted in the bottom where water collects. I'll digitize some pics and post on line.

Thanks again for the reply. I find more questions.

Peter
lookin59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 11:37 PM   #4
ljbear

Peter,

Sounds like a real solid truck. Good luck and feel free to post pics and ask questions whenever they come up.

Larry

72 Chevy SWB 4x4
71 Chevy SWB 4x4

My Work Truck

"Don't confuse enthusiasm with capability"
ljbear is offline   Reply With Quote