The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #76
FrankieD

Re: Lied and defrauded on 1971 c10 short bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
....here's a quick comparitive reference for you that might help ease the pain.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...292189648.html
Again, you gotta lot of truck for the money, enjoy it.
All Good
Coley
WOW!!!! The worth of my truck keeps going higher and higher I thought if I asked $5500 I was high
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #77
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Glad I only like Long Bed trucks...

Drive the snot out of it.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #78
hatred

Keep it, fix it, and drive it. Besides, it would be up to YOU to show he purposely defrauded you and knew about it. All he has to say is "I didn't know" and he wins... Just remember man, research, checking, double checking, and triple checking is always your friend.

Nice truck!!

I upset whiners too....
hatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #79
Joesjunk

That is a nice looking truck, it seems most short beds you see now have been cut.
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe 91k original paint
72 Cheyenne/30 Dually
69 Camaro SS396 4-speed
13 GMC 2500HD Duramax I bought new
05 Jeep Wrangler "Willys Edition" 12k miles (I bought new)
85 3/4 ton 4x4 Scottsdale 33k miles original paint
86 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 454 restored
80 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 9,434 original miles!! original paint
95 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 my dad bought new
95 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, regular cab 454, 31k original miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 6.0L 67k miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 8.1L 28k miles
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 regular cab Diesel 93k miles

67-72 Parts for sale
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #80
Square_78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
....here's a quick comparitive reference for you that might help ease the pain.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...292189648.html
Again, you gotta lot of truck for the money, enjoy it.
All Good
Coley
Exactly! I'd pay $11,800 for that all day long.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #81
C/10 King

You know this happened to me once, but I was the seller , I had sold what I thought was a primer-ed 71' Cheyenne "short wheel base" with a lot of options about 3 years ago, I only had owned it for about 2 weeks and I was up front with the potential buyer about owning it only to flip it for a profit and that I had been selling trucks like that for a while, it had also turned out that I had sold a co-work of hers a nice truck that she really liked so she bought the 71', well about a couple of months later I received a phone call from the new owner asking me if I knew that the pick up that I sold her was once a long bed cut down, of course I had no idea and had never thought to check, it turned out that she had taken it to a muffler shop and was told in should be re-enforced because it was cut down, the mutual friend who I sold a truck to earlier to, told her to call me and ask me if I knew it was cut and that "I probably didn't", which was correct, I felt bad and apologized the best I could, she believed me (I hope) and said she was going to finish fixing up the truck, well about a year later she call me again and stated that she was almost done with restoration and wanted me to see it, but I still haven't see it yet.
Now I check on every truck I buy, but I also know if done right there is nothing wrong with a cut down truck. l
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #82
OC 72

My .02...drive it..its a nice truck..You got a great buy. As some stated here...buyer beware...Caveat Emptor.
OC 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #83
jstplyn331

Have to say I agree with the principle of the none trust worthy person that sold it.

I gotta say that as I am reading this thread it has calmed me down to the purchase I just made and found out mine too was a shortened long bed frame,

My difference is I did the research and looked under the truck and all over, VIN tag was gone as the truck has been fully painted and body work done. I took my body guy with me and he too looked all over. Talked to the guy about the truck told me it has been in his family since day one. His uncle was original owner. It was a 1967 Big window. The hand brake was gone he told me that was not needed in his opinion.

Drove from Colorado to Kansas for this truck. Got it home and started the LS1 swap.

Pulled the exhaust to find out it was all lies. The research can only be done so far as if you would see the pictures of the frame you too would not notice the welds grind nicely and plated inside. and that if I would have known more about the vehicles, the cab is not a 67 it is a 71. So live and learn. But to lie about it that is bad JuJu and should come back 10 fold to someone. With the whole back story to sell a truck, and people wonder why you don't trust them when you are really being honest?

But gotta say after reading all the stories I can caulk it up to I got a good deal, I will drive the hell out of it. Will not lie to the next guy and hope he understands all the work done to it is correct. So with that being said and reading more. I now know what to look for as I move forward also.

And experience as it may be a good teacher, can sometime be a pain in the but learning
Old 04-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #84
heidick70

just a heads up if you sue this person for this it doesn't mean they have to pay. i had taken a person to court one time due to this persons dog attacking me randomly we ended up going to court and i never saw a penny of the money they owed me for the medical bills, i asked the court about it and they said we dont chase after you're claim or help you get what is owed to you
heidick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #85
luvbowties

Question Re: Lied and defrauded on 1971 c10 short bed

I've never shortened one, but... IIRC, a bed has to be cut in 2 places to shorten it properly. But, how about the frame? Does it also have to be cut in 2 places? If so, obviously both would be stronger if plated. If not, then...
Just an amateurish thought!
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #86
buckskins4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoekid View Post
Now that I really look at it, the bed floor has a weld all the way across end to end
The bed has a not so great line-x coating going on and I cant technically tell if there is a weld but if I had to bet I would say the floor was cut to down to size
I looked under the truck..under the bed there is a brace bolted that is where the lump is on top of the bed
Also looked at the frame, about 3/4 rear way back of the cab there is vertical weld on both sides of frame
I believe with these welds, the frame was cut down to short bed specs, making this C10 not a factory short bed
Question I would ask is what did you pay for it? since it was an Individual aka Private Party sale, you will be limited to what you can do.
The truck looks great, however, if you got it in writing somewhere that the truck is "Original" and not disclosed as a chopped shorty you can SUE......but

I warn you, no attorney will take it on as a contingency case. You will have to pay a retainer, which will be costly.
Remember most state only permit up to $2500 as a Small Claims case and then your hardest part after winning the case will be collecting money.

Now with this knowledge we would move on to odds you dont have "written description as Original". If not, you are pretty much held to the old saying, You Bought it, You own it! The attorneys will ask you a few questions to save you a ton of time and money.
1. Did you go to the truck or did he bring it to you? As in Drive it to you.
2. Did you have time to look the truck over? Most people spend at least 20-30 minutes looking a vehicle over before deciding to buy or not.
3. Did you drive the truck?
4. Did you transfer the title to you name?
If you answer YES to any of these......You are held to the assumption you made an educated and conscious decision to purchase. AKA.....You own it!!

I would say unless you really are worried about it being an "Original Short bed" which will only come into play if you are selling it yourself to someone who wants Original or going to show it in a Original/ un modded class. If you do this, you are already out since it has rally wheels on it. Our trucks didnt have rally wheels. Usually were swapped out with Blazer or car rally wheels.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #87
luvbowties

Smile Re: Lied and defrauded on 1971 c10 short bed

chevy209's cost to shorten his '72 longbed, all work hired out: cut/shortened bed and frame for total cost of $1300. [Wish I could get that kind of work done here!] Good writeup on approx. 3-17.
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #88
buckskins4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
You could always bag it.
Now we're talking!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #89
buckskins4ever

Theres nothing wring with cutting a long bed down if done correctly. That includes welding. My truck, which I know who did the work on it, since I know the frame is from 2 different trucks I had to check it. My girl was made from 4 different trucks to complete just the body and frame.
The the Original frame was hit in the rear and bet the frame. The Orig Builder started off with a 72 1/2 ton swb frame (damaged) and cut it right behind the cab and welded in a tail section from another 72 1/2 ton swb to complete it correctly. Welded up diag cut with diamond plate on outside for added structure. the front clip is a true 67 clip and the bed is a true 67 stepper (not from same truck), and the cab was a donor from a 72 3/4 ton.
Once done correctly and tastefully you can see your value in your truck. Its a beautiful truck. If you can look over the miscommunication or lack thereof, you will just love the truck. Go get a good welder to grind down the welds, and weld a diamond plate over and drive the hell out of it. That toy will bring way more than $15k here.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #90
Square_78

Any updates on this truck? What happened?
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #91
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Glad I only like Long Bed trucks...

Drive the snot out of it.

Gary

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:21 AM   #92
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Seems to me the op would have to prove the po knew it, and misrepresented it. The ad doesn't help much unless he said something like "all original". If he can find out who owned it prior to this guy, and that person says it was a long bed when he sold it to po, then you may have something.

I posted a WIW thread about an original Cheyenne Super SWB that needed a total restoration and I got a lot of people that said it was worth $10k. If he's in that truck for $11,800 I think he can get out no problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #93
special-K
Special Order

You can't sue on this. When you go to buy an older vehicle like this it's up to you to know your stuff. It's no secret people cut long beds down into short beds. It was up to this buyer to "check" for such things "before" buying. A seller just wants to sell and unfortunately many sellers will "stretch the truth" to encourage the sale. Been going on since horse trading days. A buyer must screen through the BS. Buyer beware! Right? If you are basing your decision on what the seller is saying,you need to ask other questions (specific) that will prove or disprove what they say,AND inspect to varify. If it's still unclear,you have to be willing to walk away or accept you are taking a chance. If you ask a specific question and the seller tells you what can be determined as a bona fide lie,you have grounds for legal action. If you are paying decent money for any restored vehicle you better know what you or doing or at least accept the great risk you are taking. There's new,used,and restored. Restored is a leap of faith to some degree no matter what,unless every step is documented with photos or the seller is known for great and honest good work.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #94
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Judging from what I see
1.there are about as many cut down long beds as there were original short ones.
2.If done right there's nothing wrong with cutting one.
3.You can't sue,like Tim said,you need to know and look on a used one.
4.Plate the welds and drive the crap outta it.
5.Soon a long bed will be the rarest truck around.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #95
tahoekid

Thank you fellas for all the input.
I did not pursue legal action,
just took the advice on board and chalked it up.
I have found out that the PO knew all along the details
about truck and lied his ass off to sell it.
I still have the truck and more than likely will sell it..
It turns a lot of heads and gets a lot of thumbs up..
Can't put a price on attention so I will take it as a return on investment.. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
1972 CHEVY CHEYENNE
tahoekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #96
buckskins4ever

Quote:
Can't put a price on attention so I will take it as a return on investment.. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

That does suck man. Like I said before, its not original in more ways than not being a true SWB. You should get over that fact and drive it. Its a gorgeous truck. If you find a true original "no mods at all, this means rally wheels, exhaust, bed liners, etc etc" you will expect to pay a fortune. If you just gotta sell it, put it on Auto Trader Classics and you will get well more than you paid.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #97
Gokart Mozart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstplyn331 View Post
But to lie about it that is bad JuJu and should come back 10 fold to someone.
Gokart Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #98
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

[QUOTE=special-K;6006594]You can't sue on this. When you go to buy an older vehicle like this it's up to you to know your stuff."

This folks, is the Gospel of buying used vehicles.

I have a friend who would go and look at a used car/truck/tractor and ask the owner to not tell him anything about it at all. He thought that the owner would steer him away from things that he would check out if he were buying the truck at an auction.

I've seen bill of sales that state that the buyer agrees that he/she is qualified to judge the condition of the vehicle and make qualified assessments of the same.

As Special K says that you know what you are looking at, or you learn the hard way. I'd bet that the OP of this thread wont buy another cut down long bed truck.

JMO Chuck
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #99
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't know what other things you are disappointed in on the truck,but not knowing all that much I will say you could have done worse. I despise someone who outright lies to sell anything,and I've been there. To know your stuff and what questions to ask and have the answers to be lies you base your decision on is a crime worthy of a lynching. I say it could be worse because it appears to be a nice truck and that you should be able to get your money back out of...unless there's more to it. Worse is poor paint prep,paint,or body work that rears it's ugly head in short time or things like a bad rear doctored up with sawdust,engine the starts smoking or knocking once the band aid comes loose,etc,and you're lucky to get half what you paid. It looks like you got a truck many would want to buy,but you were lied to and didn't get exactly what you thought you were. You certainly have a beef and the right to feel how you do about it. Believe me,I've been there,too. It sucks!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #100
big_al_71

Words to live by "DONT TRUST ANYONE".

You have a decent loooking truck if you are not happy with it sell it more than likely you will make a profit then go out and buy the one that you really wished for. Make sure this time you do pay attention to details so nobody would take advantage of you..

Take it as a lesson learned we all have made mistakes by relying on others or believing thei BS.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote