The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #2476
In The Ten Ring

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

All I did today was primer coat my hood hinges and hood latch.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #2477
midniteblues

fixed my broken choke cable.
nobody said it was a easy fix lol.
i didnt know that the tube had a seem and the sheathing was crimped into the tube.
so i split the end of the tube open and peeled some of the plastic coating off
the sheathing.
then i snipped the broken part off and recrimpped it back in. a very small tack weld will keep it in place for good.
not shown is i also welded a small bit on the knob end filed and rethreaded it so the knob will not pull off anymore

also got most of the (526)white sprayed the nason paint was really thin and transparent it took a few coats.

also installed a heater box cover from a c/50 pretty cool ad on. i didnt realize the black cover was so hard too see till i uploaded the pic

back to sand sand sand
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #2478
midniteblues

just realized i never put up the pic of my finished lights from a few pages back.
whats cool about blasting some of these parts is the rubber and connector pins come out fresh&clean even though there is a tiny bit of over spray it cleans rite off.
(not today but)this passed week i also installed all led's in the dash heater control cig lighter and dome lites.
the dash and others look great but i'm not sold on the dome light led yet.

i'm now conteplating on getting the led bulbs for all the outside lights.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #2479
In The Ten Ring

I got about all I could do today done:

I very nearly removed the old core support BUT 1 carriage bolt broke free from the core support (a testimony to the amount of rust mine has) and free wheeled. I'll have to grind off the head or cut off the stud.

I did begin rust removal on the canister bracket and I'll soon start on the new battery tray.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #2480
Cheezer_72

Finished installing my new bucket seats. Yeah!
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #2481
5567Cruiser

Those seats are sweet, look good for some long cruises!
55 CHEV BEL AIR 2DR SEDAN
67 BUICK GS400 CONVERT
Old 07-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #2482
stepsider

NICE SEATS, WHAT DID THEY COME OUT OF. SIMPLE BRACKETS TO INSTALL OR DID YOU HAVE TO MODIFY ?
Old 07-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #2483
summitflier

Pulled out the seat, gas tank, dash, windshield, rear glass, and took off the doors.
Attached Images

05 Ram 1500 5.7L

My build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676545
Old 07-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #2484
DarkFlounder

Gave up on finishing sandblasting the truck bed last night. Having to wait for the compressor to catch up, the wife complaining about the dust, and the crappy uncomfortable hood just made me give up.

I got most of the bed done, passenger bed side, back panel, both wheel wells. Driver bed side is mostly sanded down to bare metal, just need to touch up the corners. gonna try to find a local blaster to finish the bed floor. The dried glue and spilled paint just drags the whole process down.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #2485
Bocephus69

drug this ol' gal out of the weeds last week after sitting for 10 years. ordered some ignition parts, cleaned out the fuel tank, rebuilt the carb, got her running, and brought her home yesterday. if it was not for this website, i would still be out in the garage scratching my head and chasing electrical demons. but thanks to the good info i found here, i got some parts ordered to fix my electrical problems and hopefully get this old 69 back on the road in good, working condition. i am not wanting to make her look pretty....i just want to get it in good running condition. my father in law has owned it since the early 80, he swapped a 350 with auto tranny into it in the early 90s (donors came from a 78 caprice). looking to put this pickup back on the road, and back to work!

Old 07-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #2486
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

10 days off but back at it. The paint is removed from what's under the bed, though a few areas remain pending exhaust, shocks, brakes and leaf removal.

Bought my first air impact wrench...........ha, I've been missing out. I think I'm going to be pleasantly surprised to remove the spring eye bolts for the rear leafs. There's absolutely no sign of rust, but I'm spraying them down as if there was anyway. Better not need to torch (boom!). U-bolts are another story. Spraying those down even more. This stuff needs to come off, and soon.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-14-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:36 AM   #2487
Cheezer_72

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepsider View Post
NICE SEATS, WHAT DID THEY COME OUT OF. SIMPLE BRACKETS TO INSTALL OR DID YOU HAVE TO MODIFY ?
They came out of a 73 suburban. I had to make some new brackets, it wasn't bad. I went down to the steel shop bought some scrap for a couple of bucks and went to town.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:44 AM   #2488
65swb

picked it up is all I got done today. just did make the 20 mile trip home before the front tire slipped the belt and about blew
Old 07-15-2015, 02:40 AM   #2489
mike16

I added another quart of oil
Old 07-15-2015, 05:15 AM   #2490
In The Ten Ring

I just now sent paypal funds to a forum member for his original and really nice OEM steering wheel. It's not perfect but much better than mine. That was one piece I never thought I'd be able to find.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #2491
summitflier

Nice!!

You wouldn't believe the looks you get from some people when they over hear you saying "I have body parts scattered all over my yard".

I really enjoy drilling and sawing them into more useful parts.

I can't wait for the look on their faces when I start talking about yanking off the heads.
05 Ram 1500 5.7L

My build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676545
Old 07-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #2492
In The Ten Ring

I just came in. I borrowed dad's angle grinder (which is at least as old as the 1980's) and ground the head off the free wheeling carriage bolt (core support).

I first tried my Dremel Tool but it was way out of its league.

Then I met my match: a stuck inner fender bolt that I'll have to cut out. Too much rust in that inner fender. I'll cut that away tomorrow (with the Dremel Tool) and remove the old core support.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #2493
jethro5333

a little chrome for the rear end.
getting the carpet set in. have to cut holes for the shifter and the high beam switch.
going to have to slow down for a few weeks. going in for surgery on Tuesday. O happy day!
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #2494
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Took my Highlander to a local Show & Shine my first show since I bought the truck.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Old 07-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #2495
special-K
Special Order

Finally got to the front end reassembly on my '72. i packed the bearings, installed seals, and put the hubs/rotors on. I went ahead and did the driver side since the parts guy accidentally got me two rotors, and I decided it was time for a full front end service. I'm glad I did because once put back together I don't like the feel of the bearings om that side. They looked fine when I inspected them after cleaning. So, it's tear the driver side down again and put new bearings in. I have the rotors on for now, so I can drop the axle to put 4" springs on. I painted the shocks today, too. I hope to be driving it by the end of the month.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-18-2015, 10:33 PM   #2496
In The Ten Ring

Got the core support off. It's now sitting outside the garage, awaiting its final ride to the scrap yard.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #2497
midniteblues

tuned the timing and carb on the kids truck again today.
he came home the other day an said "its popping out the carb again and not running rite".
last time it did this i told him too tighten the dizzy after i timed it.... of course he never did and he must've been out beatin on it again and twisted the dizzy again cause it was way off.
then he figured it was the carb so he started turnin all the screws.....ughh!.....kids

next time he can do it

also fitted my nos 67-70 bumper guards too my freshly painted front bumper
just too get them too fit perfect.

now on to blasting an priming them tomarrow along with a few other small parts.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #2498
SIXT8LOU

I installed my lower A arms, coils and spindle next..
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #2499
WIDESIDE72

I was gassing up and the guy working on the drive through car wash came by and said he liked the truck and asked if i knew i had a shock hanging loose. I said no and looked under to see that the nut for the right rear lower shock had come loose. The bolt and spacer were still in the shock though. I pushed the shock up out of the way and went by tractor supply and bought two lock nuts and two flat washers. When i installed the shocks originally the poly bushing wanted to crush and disort beore i got the nut as tight as i wanted. I put the washer under the bolt head, then put the bolt through the shock, throth the mounting bracket, then installed the locknut. I took the other side apart and did the same thing. Now the nut is tight where ever i stop turning it, instead of having to rely and compressing the bushing so much to get it tight.

While i was under there, i noticed that the upper track bar bushing (on rear axle) was gone. The stud and nut were still there, no bushing. This was a CPP part that i bough as part of a kit from the forum. I ordered an energy suspension bushing kit online for $13 shipped and plan to add a big washer to it as well to keep it in place. This explains why i noticed the tire rub marks on the inside of the driver rear tire well when i had the tire off working on my hidden (marker light) fuel filler install!

While i had the truck up on the ramps i also swapped out the e brake cable i bought from LMC that was supposed to be for a swb truck with th350 but was too long. I got one from Oreilly that was listed for the same application. Lo and behold it was shorter and cheaper to boot! Now i finally have an operation e brake!
Old 07-19-2015, 04:31 PM   #2500
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
I was gassing up and the guy working on the drive through car wash came by and said he liked the truck and asked if i knew i had a shock hanging loose. I said no and looked under to see that the nut for the right rear lower shock had come loose. The bolt and spacer were still in the shock though. I pushed the shock up out of the way and went by tractor supply and bought two lock nuts and two flat washers. When i installed the shocks originally the poly bushing wanted to crush and disort beore i got the nut as tight as i wanted. I put the washer under the bolt head, then put the bolt through the shock, throth the mounting bracket, then installed the locknut. I took the other side apart and did the same thing. Now the nut is tight where ever i stop turning it, instead of having to rely and compressing the bushing so much to get it tight.

While i was under there, i noticed that the upper track bar bushing (on rear axle) was gone. The stud and nut were still there, no bushing. This was a CPP part that i bough as part of a kit from the forum. I ordered an energy suspension bushing kit online for $13 shipped and plan to add a big washer to it as well to keep it in place. This explains why i noticed the tire rub marks on the inside of the driver rear tire well when i had the tire off working on my hidden (marker light) fuel filler install!

While i had the truck up on the ramps i also swapped out the e brake cable i bought from LMC that was supposed to be for a swb truck with th350 but was too long. I got one from Oreilly that was listed for the same application. Lo and behold it was shorter and cheaper to boot! Now i finally have an operation e brake!
Deleted.
Closed Thread