The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #1
z71se

ORD K10 Front/ Rear Coilovers!

Am I crazy wanting to keep my K10 at stock height but use the ORD front/ rear coilovers for the purposes of suspension articulation, ride quality, and adjustability? I actually have a 4WD LS turbo drag truck but sick and tired of the buckboard ride. Truck is 75% street driven, 25% track on a 4wd launch. Running stock front/ rear springs right now with basic Monroe replacement shocks.
z71se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: ORD K10 Front/ Rear Coilovers!

When I had my K20 my rear shackle was all the way back, and caused the spring to buckle vs flex. So it would ride buck board style. My friend had a D200 2wd straight axle, and his was the same.

In my case I had the spring eye rolled in for lack of better term to shorten it up. This put the shackle back in the near vertical position, and my ride greatly improved.

On both trucks the shackes were quite short. When I extended the D200 shackle along with relocation the spring could grow under compression which if it can not. Cause buckling in the spring, and give a bad ride since the spring can no longer grow in a linear fashion.
On the D200. Since ride height was slightly lowered, and he wanted to keep it that way. So I cut the bracket for the shackle out, and relocated to where I needed it to be. I also moved it up to the middle of the frame, and extended the shackle. Wow it rode great for a 3/4 ton truck, and handled much better.

This maybe a way you can improve your ride for a couple hundred or a afternoons work.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: ORD K10 Front/ Rear Coilovers!

I don't think wanting to improve suspension with in reason is crazy, but the money sometimes can be.

Lastly on my K20 I used balanced beads in the tires, and it rode smoother with those then typical weights.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote