The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
1moretoy

running wires

Looking for ideas on how to mount my computer and run the wiring for the motor. Show me what you did thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

Re: running wires

I can't show you right now but I can tell you what I did. I can post pictures later when I am off work.
Here is what I am working with:
85 SWB
2002 6.0 dbc
th350
2002 Tahoe Harness/0411 computer
I modified the stock harness to be able to run the computer inside the cab. I mounted the computer where the old ESC computer used to be up under the passenger side of the dash. Then I labeled all the wires on the red/blue connectors and then took all the pins out so that I could route the wires through a hole in the firewall behind the intake. I had to shorten some wires and add some length to others. With the intake installed you can't see the wires coming through the firewall. Next I routed the MAF, ALT, IAC, and TPS wires under the intake and turned the fuel injectors inboard. When Everything is installed you can only see wires at the connections. I am also installing a new wiring harness for the truck and I have all the wires going iside the fenders so they are hidden as well. I also have the fuse blocks and relays for the standalone harness installed under the dash by the computer. I am not 100% one yet but I am close. I can get some updated pictures to give you an idea what it will look like but I still have wires going everywhere at the moment.
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
1moretoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballnrd27 View Post
I can't show you right now but I can tell you what I did. I can post pictures later when I am off work.
Here is what I am working with:
85 SWB
2002 6.0 dbc
th350
2002 Tahoe Harness/0411 computer
I modified the stock harness to be able to run the computer inside the cab. I mounted the computer where the old ESC computer used to be up under the passenger side of the dash. Then I labeled all the wires on the red/blue connectors and then took all the pins out so that I could route the wires through a hole in the firewall behind the intake. I had to shorten some wires and add some length to others. With the intake installed you can't see the wires coming through the firewall. Next I routed the MAF, ALT, IAC, and TPS wires under the intake and turned the fuel injectors inboard. When Everything is installed you can only see wires at the connections. I am also installing a new wiring harness for the truck and I have all the wires going iside the fenders so they are hidden as well. I also have the fuse blocks and relays for the standalone harness installed under the dash by the computer. I am not 100% one yet but I am close. I can get some updated pictures to give you an idea what it will look like but I still have wires going everywhere at the moment.
I would love to see pix. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

computer on ds inner fender, behind the cooling slots. Engine fuses and wiring, comm port etc lined up accordingly.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
awhite4557

I mounted mine on the radiator core support on the drivers side of the radiator. The TAC is mounted on the drivers fender well using rubber mounts from a Harley Davidson M/C. I modified the factory brackets to fit using 2x3 base angle iron.
Attached Images

1971 Chevy Short Wide Bed
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=277191
1971 Chevy Chevelle
1972 Chevrolet C-30 1 ton
2002 Winnebego Class A MH Ford E-550 Chassis V-10
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins
2008 GMC Denali
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
awhite4557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
rmvlt1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moretoy View Post
Looking for ideas on how to mount my computer and run the wiring for the motor. Show me what you did thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
1moretoy,

I mounted my computer under the dash near were the heater plumbing comes through the firewall.

I mounted the TAC unit above the gas pedal.

The next picture is the fuse blocks that I used.

The next picture is where must of the engine wiring comes through to the motor. Since these pictures I finished looming everything and it's now has a cleaner look.

Good luck with your build.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

^^ engine covers make life easier It was a pain to hid all of the misc wiring, even though I have a custom harness. I still want a way to cover some of the "big" harness underhood.

The one thing I will say; make SURE you have ventilation around the computer, they do heat up. Although they can withstand engine temps fine, mounting them too close to exhaust parts, or crammed too far under dash components can pose a bit of a risk. Although rare, there HAVE been heat related pcm failures.
**unrelated, but take your pcm out if your welding on the car, or at least disconnect it, especially if you don't have the pcm isolated.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

Ok here are the pics of my engine harness, don't pay attention to the wires off to the side bc I am still in the process of routing the truck harness. I also don't have the alt/power steernig bracket or wp installed in these pics.
Front Shot:

D Side shot:

P Side side:

Shot of the harness coming through the firewall:
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
mooseknuckles

pcm mounted under dash behind glove box, fuse panel and relays in glove box....wires ran through factory hole in firewall....and coil and injector wires run under fuel rail, alternator wire under intake.....wires less visible now than before...
Attached Images

mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
1moretoy

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I'm going to mount my computer under the cowl behind my glove box. Then I will use some silicone for the screws going through the cowl to keep water out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
OneOffStroker

I also routed my wiring into the cab. Just know beforehand that you will need to so some creative unwrapping and re-routing of the wiring in the harness to achieve this. Have a plan and stick to it. Do individual sections at a time, or it will turn into spaghetti soup QUICK.

Click the link in my sig to check out my wiring, plus some other crap. (I'm too lazy to post the same pics here..)
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote