The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM   #1
garret hakkleberry

70 K20 troubles

Hello guys I'm new to the whole car thing as I'm under 18 and need some advice I have a 1970 k20 I bought 3 years ago and the cab was toast and I was told to just scrap the cab so I did and bought a 70 GMC with a cab that was great for maine to put the cab on the Chevy I havent touched weither truck in a little bit and tried to sell it but everyone wants the Chevy cab and keeps lowballing me so I'm wondering if I should put some more money into and drive it or fix it and sell it just wondering if I'm missing out
garret hakkleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #2
jocko

Re: 70 K20 troubles

need a little more detail Garrett-
1) have you already swapped the GMC cab on the Chev frame?
2) which truck are you trying to sell?
3) do you have 2 titles and the VINs on the titles still match the VINs on the trucks?

Keep in mind swapping cabs is best done after a chat with DMV. I'd say you're probably too young to commit to owning either truck "forever" so it'd be wise to square away any title issues now - so that you have options to sell down the road.

If the Chev cab is truly toast and unsalvageable -and- you haven't swapped the GMC cab onto the Chev frame yet - I'd keep the GMC intact, fix it up and enjoy or sell in the future, up to you - and sell the remainder of the Chev for parts. Or as a "whole" parts truck WITH a valid title (assuming Chev cab is still on the Chev frame).

If you've already swapped cabs, I'd head to DMV and sort things out.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM   #3
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: 70 K20 troubles

the cabs are the same, are you using the GMC vin and paperwork ? value is the same in my opinion but some people are partial to one over the other. fix it and drive it.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #4
garret hakkleberry

I haven't swapped the GMC cab to the Chevy i was trying to sell both because I have a lot going on I have both vins no title I have the Chevy vin plate and was planning to put it on the GMC cab to swap it over
Old Today, 02:20 AM   #5
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret hakkleberry View Post
I haven't swapped the GMC cab to the Chevy i was trying to sell both because I have a lot going on I have both vins no title I have the Chevy vin plate and was planning to put it on the GMC cab to swap it over
Don't do that, it's illegal.. Actually, it's illegal to tamper with the VIN tag in any manner.. You can swap the cabs back and forth, but the titles, and VIN plates have to stay with the cabs. You said "No title"?? You don't have titles for either truck?? As others have said -- Consult with DMV before making any changes...

If you want the "look" of a Chevy over the GMC, keep the GMC cab on it's chassis.. Move the Chevy front sheet metal over to the GMC.. Maintain the GMC title and it's VIN plate.. It become a GMC with a Chevy "nose", perfectly legal.

I can't stress it enough -- Do NOT tamper with those VIN plates.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:36 AM   #6
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Pretty sure Maine is a no title state on the older stuff so bill of sale is all that is needed.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:46 AM   #7
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
Don't do that, it's illegal.. Actually, it's illegal to tamper with the VIN tag in any manner.. You can swap the cabs back and forth, but the titles, and VIN plates have to stay with the cabs. You said "No title"?? You don't have titles for either truck?? As others have said -- Consult with DMV before making any changes...

If you want the "look" of a Chevy over the GMC, keep the GMC cab on it's chassis.. Move the Chevy front sheet metal over to the GMC.. Maintain the GMC title and it's VIN plate.. It become a GMC with a Chevy "nose", perfectly legal.

I can't stress it enough -- Do NOT tamper with those VIN plates.
Not true . A vin can be moved it takes correct paperwork and tittles or proof that neither vin was a stolen vehicle to both vehicles . It’s done all the time even the federal law has provisions for restoration and body replacements .

But that’s for the owner to decide . OP I would say if your apprehensive on completing the project you should sell them and look for a complete easier project
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:26 AM   #8
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Not true . A vin can be moved it takes correct paperwork and tittles or proof that neither vin was a stolen vehicle to both vehicles . It’s done all the time even the federal law has provisions for restoration and body replacements .

But that’s for the owner to decide . OP I would say if your apprehensive on completing the project you should sell them and look for a complete easier project
Guys!!! The OP is a 17 year old kid. He needs guidance, not suggestions to conduct illegal acts.. Yes, it IS TRUE, he cannot arbitrarily just swap VIN tags around.. True, VIN tags can be reassigned, but only if given permission by the DMV.. This is done by contacting the DMV FIRST. Isn't that what I said????
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:45 AM   #9
garret hakkleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
Pretty sure Maine is a no title state on the older stuff so bill of sale is all that is needed.
Yeah this is right everything 1999 and newer needs a title