The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #101
Low Elco

Re: Big Rat's 1979 C10 High School Hot Rod Restooo

If you do rivets, with your access, cutoff wheel in a 41/2 grinder, cut off the heads. Then get a 3/8 dia punch and lock a vise grip to the sides, making a t. Then get a sledge. Nut just a bfh, a sledge, and SMACK them out. Use the vise grip as a handle on the punch. Works good for me!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #102
bohmankid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rat View Post
Never mind bohman, just realized you had a build thread. I was just too busy trying to zoom in on your beauty under your name to notice. Now you can just see my stupid face a half inch away from my phone trying to get a better look huh?! Oh and +1 on the cold winter and spring this year! I'll park the escalade on the curb and you can park your truck in my garage if you want. I'll take real nice care of her!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah man, I love the lwb 4x4's. I've owned four of them within the past five years. My current project build thread is in my signature. I sold the one in my avatar for $8800 about a year and a half ago, but here is a link to more pics of it if interested: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/401906...c-c-k-pick-up/ It was pretty cool, 6 inch lift with 35's wrapped on 20's. cammed 350 with a manual 4 speed. It was quick! I raced Honda's all day

Hell, here's a video too.
bohmankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #103
jlsanborn

Great read here! Nice job so far and what you have planned should be really cool. I think I'd leave them rivets but I also know how the OCD kicks in while you're at it! Although you're past the worst of it, HEAT is what'll help you the most with siezed fastners. Even a bottle of MAP gas will usually do the trick. Have you got a welder?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #104
Big Rat

Oh man, bohman, that it's a good looking truck! You are going to have to get one of those avatars that shows different pictures though. Your current truck is also perty!

No, jl, no welder. Buuuuttt, I'm in the market for a cheap but good one. I have some repair work that I don't think JB Weld can quite do! Thanks for the compliments.

And as always, thanks for the tips and input guys. I love it!
Posted via Mobile Device

'69 C20 - Grandpa's 'ol truck
'70 Nova - Birthday present from the wife. She's a KEEPER!
'79 C10 - High school hot rod, BUILD THREAD
Big Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #105
Bomp

Surfing around looking here and there and got hooked.
Read the whole build so far. Read and laughed. Wifey asked what I was doing cause I was bustin' up so much.
Watchin' til you get it all done.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #106
Big Rat

Thanks man, I do appreciate it. I try to have fun with this thing. If it ain't fun, what's the point?! My wife said this forum is like Facebook(I absolutely loath Facebook by the way), I responded saying "The hell it is! It actually serves a productive purpose and isn't a waste of time!" Then I proceeded to throw rocks at her. She's lucky. I've killed for less.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 04-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #107
bluex

Quote:
Thanks man, I do appreciate it. I try to have fun with this thing. If it ain't fun, what's the point?! My wife said this forum is like Facebook(I absolutely loath Facebook by the way), I responded saying "The hell it is! It actually serves a productive purpose and isn't a waste of time!" Then I proceeded to throw rocks at her. She's lucky. I've killed for less.
Posted via Mobile Device
We would make good friends. I hate foolbook too.....
Posted via Mobile Device
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #108
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Surfing around looking here and there and got hooked.
Read the whole build so far. Read and laughed. Wifey asked what I was doing cause I was bustin' up so much.
Watchin' til you get it all done.
I Just read your thread little by little over the past few days, it's great to an you got some serious skills. Or maybe your just crazy, i can't tell (probably cause I'm crazy to

Hope your foots getting better. My wife just got out of her walking boot yesterday. She's been in either it or a cast since December. I would have killed for her to have a peg leg....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #109
Big Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
We would make good friends. I hate foolbook too...
A ha ha ha! FOOLBOOK! I'm sold, and now we are absolutely friends!

Old 04-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #110
bluex

Quote:
we gotta stick together, we are a rare breed. As bobby boucher's momma would say "its da debil!"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #111
Low Elco

Quote:
It can't be Facebook, no one's ranting like a loon over gun control or politics. Thank God! Much better here!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #112
Big Rat

We have no time for such tom foolery. We are always on topic and on point around here!

Old 04-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #113
rusty76

Facebook and Duct tape don't do well together....lol
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #114
Big Rat

And here we are again. Shall we waste some bandwidth? Yes, I think we shall. I've kind of hit a rut, kind of. The tear down is easy, direction wise, you know the goal, and it is simple like trigonometry and astrophysics. Once that goal was accomplished, it was like, uh, um... look at the frame, uh, well, um... So I decided I might as well start cleanin some parts up and decide what I'm gonna get blasted. Then the cogs started grinding and the juices started flowing yet again. Just like I read in one of your guysesess builds, "progress, gotta make progress."

Gathered some job specific items, and got busy getting busy. Now, I didn't necessarily work directly on the frame this time, but, this stuff bolts to the frame, so it still works by association. The apple juice is crucial!

Oh and we mustn't forget my toothbrush and trusty bucket with performance bolstering for added G's

Need to get A-arms taken apart and ready for the master blaster and lets see what I can do with the rest

Then the crossmember started to cry because it wasn't getting any sweet hot grinder brush lovin, so...

While sharing an affectionate tender bath of Wally-mart brand frame degreaser, I heard a call to my left, I looked and beheld an ever so gentle vision of my next task

Back to the spindles. Finished up the right rear spindle(as sitting backwards in the cab). As far as I can think, which isn't too far, but I think it's good enough to paint. Suggestions on paint? Rattle can Rustoleum? Should I primer it? I am not a painter at all and I don't have any kind of paint gun or anything but pointers would be appreciated. I was thinkin about picking up one of those HF paint guns for this little stuff.

And now the left rear with it's twin

Apparently they built my house with a sway bar holding apparatus. Who knew?!

All clean-ish

Didn't get to the control arms, AT ALL, but I had to take a break to eat tacos yo! The arms and x-member are going to be blasted, along with some other things. I'm wire wheeling things just to see first hand how much one can actually accomplish with some patience and time. Whatever I can do myself saves money for goodies elsewhere! Some other builds say "budget build" and then you see parts showing up left and right. When I say budget build, I mean "I had to sell a couch and playpen to pay for my c-notch" budget.

Not a lot done, but at least I fashioned meself a ladder and trudged out of my little rut. I need to be like "Bomp" and get busy!!! Check out Bomp's build if you haven't. FAB HEAVEN over in those parts!

Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #115
Low Elco

Mmmmmmm.... Cleeeean. Good progress! The cheap stuff from the dolla sto is reputed to work super bueno. Keep it up!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #116
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

On the paint question, Rustoleum is a real good choice. I think it's by far the best aerosol option for toughness. You can buy it cheap at Walmart. It does take longer to dry than other brands though so a man has to be patient.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #117
77ChevySharkBite

That looks awesome great job bro!!! Now after all this work how much apple juice is still left??
Posted via Mobile Device

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #118
jlsanborn

Nice work there! I bought the HF spray gun set and am perfectly happy with that. It's a classic "made in Chiney" piece, but works just fine and will likely last beyond my build if I keep it clean. There's a farm / ranch sorta store near me that sells acrylic enamel paints (all your favorite tractor colors) for pretty cheap. I'm going to try some black for the kind of stuff you're playing with now. I'd for sure get some lacquer thinner to clean those bits up and put some primer on first. On the welder, my dad bought the HF $99 flux core machine and it actually works pretty well. I patched up his exhaust and fixed his home-made bumper brackets with it without a hitch. Sheet metal panels might be a little rougher but I'm sure it'd work.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #119
Low Elco

x2 on the HF gun set. Been using it for the primer on Yeller with the 1.8 tip. It's been great, be sure to get the adjustable regulator for the air line, it's a lot of help.

We also did the tsc deal. The Valspar tractor paint that they used to have was awesome! The stuff now is ok. It's a lot cheaper to spray it yourself, but the bombs are hella convenient. They have a hardener that you can use in it that makes it really good. Cheapo brake cleaner works killer for cleaning before paint, especially stuff that comes from greasy origins.

I must disagree on the welder. Save yo pennies, Playa. That flux core is ok for heavier stuff, but the heat you need to make it work is no bueno on body panels. Check Craigslist, there are decent 110 welders everyday. Get a quality red or blue one, get one with variable dials if you can, it helps, especially with wire speed. A quality welder is the best thing you can spend money on, especially if you're a beginner. Why drag an anchor from the get-go? Get a machine that helps you.

Keep it real, get yo grind on, Man!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #120
Bomp

Quote:
Not a lot done, but at least I fashioned meself a ladder and trudged out of my little rut. I need to be like "Bomp" and get busy!!! Check out Bomp's build if you haven't. FAB HEAVEN over in those parts!
Got to admit I was caught off guard when I ran across the aforementioned "Fab Heaven"................................... Made be blush.
Whats in that "frame cleaning apple juice"?

I use one of those cheapy HF paint sprayers for a quick sealer spray. In the "Subliminal McMurphy" vid the cleaner(liquid) is from HF too.

I don't like cleanin' but love that clean part smell.
On welders...........you can get what ever your comfortable getting but..........me ...........personally...........................You can see in the vid what I use. Not sayin their the best or anything but I bought these kinds for a reason. Very user friendly.

Like the progress your makin on the "High School Hot Rod Restooo". Before long you'll have it back to a rolling frame with that totally awesome stellar rake.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #121
Big Rat

I thought you gents would like the apple juice! Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it. I was looking at that HF welder but at the moment I'm thinking I'm going to spend the money on the McG c-notch. I know I have to get the front of the frame repaired and my work has a fab and metal shop, and I've been employee of the year for the last 38 months so I'm betting I can get one of the fab guys to lay a bead on me frame. I hope that by the time I get to body rockin that I'll be able to buy the proper metal joining apparatus. And if I don't, there's always JB Weld?! So if I decide to try the Rustoleum, do I need to primer first? Oh, I've noticed the reference "spray bomb" a couple times, is this an actual incendiary device? If not, would you mind clarifying. I actually really don't know what that is, can you tell me. Thanks buddies!

Oh, and Bomp, if Camaro chassis hangin from the rafters and truck cabs bein stretched ain't fab heaven, I don't know what is!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #122
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I'm the guy that recommended rustoleum spray paint. I always just prep thoroughly and spray paint, no primer. Now, prepping thoroughly for me is usually blast cabinet so the part is clean and well roughened up for paint adhesion.

I wish you lived closer to me. I'd powdercoat everything on your truck for you in payment for all of the wit and laughs that you have put into your build thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #123
THE "10" SILVERADO

Looking good! Wish I could have torn mine down to the frame and started from there..

By the way, your teeth must be pretty jacked up to need that toothbrush!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #124
jlsanborn

Spray bombs = rattle cans
Old 04-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #125
rusty76

You see I likes apple juice toooo.......Glad you got out of your rut.! Let us know how the tear down of the a arms go. I'm curious. I hope to be doing the same soon. And need all the inspiration I can get. See ya.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote