The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2023, 11:24 PM   #1
Arne

Review & DIY notes - Power rack & pinion steering from POL

I thought I'd write up a couple of reviews and list of 'gotcha' points on my truck's recent conversion to power rack & pinion steering using a kit from Performance Online (POL). This one is for the rack & pinion kit itself.

My truck is a '64 C10, appears to have been a V8 truck from new, now with a later 305 small block in place. I ordered this package:

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...nd-Pinion-Kit/

The rack itself is a lightly modified unit for a late '90s Dodge Dakota, with a custom mounting bracket. The bracket bolts to the truck frame using all existing holes, no drilling required. The fluid fittings on the rack have been converted to -6 AN (male). The kit itself is fairly complete as far as physically replacing the steering, and fits up to the frame nicely. But there are several issues that I worked through that would have been good to know up front.

When placing the order, you need to specify the column type you will use, as well as what spindles you have on the truck. Most of us will need the "Stock column or セDD" option, as that fits stock (obviously) or Ididit columns. Pretty straightforward choice there.

On the spindle choice, when you order you are asked to specify what spindles you have. The choices are listed as "Drum/OEM disc brake type" or "Disc brake 73-87 type". What they really need to know is which outer tie rod ends to ship you. Stock '60-66 half tons and '71-72 half ton discs use one tie rod, セ tons and '73-87 half tons use a different tie rod end.

I bought my truck with the disc conversion already done, and mis-identified my spindles as being the later 73-87 units. I was wrong, and so I got the wrong tie rod ends. I find it odd that all of the outfits that sell these conversions ask the same question, almost word for word, but none of them give you any clue on how to tell which you have if you aren't sure. The answer turns out to be quite simple, the later 73-87 tie rod ends have 9/16" threads on the swivel stud and use a ⅞" hex nut. The early style is much smaller, 7/16" threads and 11/16" hex nut. If this difference had been noted in the product description when I ordered I would not have ordered/received the wrong parts.

Side note for future replacement - the early style tie rod ends used with this rack conversion are part number ES415R, which appears to be the normal part for 71-72 C10. The later spindles use ES409R instead. If you later change spindles, all you need to change on the steering is just these tie rod ends.

Next, I found that the rack won't bolt up if you have a factory 3-groove crank pulley. This is definitely true for long water pump applications, and probably short pumps as well. The factory 3-groove pulley for long pumps (GM #3972180) has 2 inner grooves at 6セ" diameter, and the outer groove is bigger, at 7セ". That bigger outer groove hits the rack tube. If you need a 3-groove pulley, you'll need an aftermarket pulley with all 3 grooves at the smaller 6セ" or less. (Factory 2-groove pulleys are fine, as they don't have the bigger outer groove.)

Probably the most important issue is that the lower U-joint on the new steering shaft won't clear typical small block engine-mounted steering pumps. This is a big deal. Both I and one other forum member here ran into this in the past few months, but POL claims they've never heard of this. (Pictures here courtesy 88Stanger.)

There appear to be 2 different ways to go to get around this. One is that (according to 88Stanger) the later Saginaw Type II pump with remote reservoir looks like it will clear in the normal location. The other choice (which I did) is to convert to an electric pump. (Details on the electric pump install are here.)

In any case, plan your steering pump choice and location carefully.

The instruction sheet from POL appears to be a copy-paste of the '67-72 sheet, and the required '60-66 steering column mods are not shown or discussed at all. On these trucks with a stock column, you need to cut the shaft off about 1.5" below the lower column bushing, and then grind 2 opposing flats to convert the stock セ" round shaft to a セDD. This task was not as hard as it sounds, but is required.

The kit ships with 2 u-joints and an 18" セDD shaft. For my truck, that wasn't sufficient. The u-joint angles are too acute that way, and the u-joints bind up just a touch when you turn the wheel. Perhaps some trucks might be OK with this setup, but I doubt it. I'd plan on adding a shaft support bearing and third u-joint for best steering feel and durability.

Once you work through all of this, it's really a pretty good package. The steering is much easier (even with big tires), and feels nice and precise. Like others have reported with other rack & pinion conversions, there seems to be a small increase in turning circle, but not unreasonably so. It just turns as if it were a longer wheelbase truck.

And while this seems like quite a laundry list of issues, in reality it wasn't too bad considering the rather radical changes to the steering of the truck. Especially if I had known in advance about the pump clearance issue.

覧覧覧覧覧覧

Last edited by Arne; 03-12-2023 at 01:22 AM.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 03:24 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Review & DIY notes - Power rack & pinion steering from POL

"they've never heard of this"
I have never seen a company not say that.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:35 PM   #3
Accelo

New shocks didn't fit stock studs. "Never heard of this."
Fuel pump runs backwards. "Never heard of this."
Coil harness for a LS1 pined backwards. "Never heard of this."
Chrome grille will not fit aluminum surround. "Never heard of this."
Tail gate handle hits chrome trim. "Never heard of this."
Fuel tank piping on the wrong side of the bed cross-brace. "Never heard of this."
Inner fender holes for stiffener not in line. "Never heard of this."
Radiator will not fit factory brackets. "Never heard of this."
Wheel studs too short. "Never heard of this."
Will not fit without modification. "Never heard of this."
Door will not shut unless you slam it. "Never heard of this."
Brake lines didn't bolt up. "Never heard of this."

I am considering a new thread named. "Never heard of this."
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:40 PM   #4
Arne

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
"they've never heard of this"
I have never seen a company not say that.
Yeah, the actual quote was, "We've sold lots of these kits, and have never heard of this."

I believe this kit is essentially洋aybe exactly葉he same for '60-66 and '67-72. Perhaps the later trucks don't have the pump clearance issue, maybe the rack mounts a little farther forward on the frame for those trucks. It wouldn't take much, maybe no more than ス".

So maybe they haven't sold any for '60-66 until now. I know of one other kit that has been ordered for this generation truck, but it is getting an LS swap so that doesn't really count.

And POL does know that clearance in that area is tight, as the product notes include this:

"Will not work with LS engine with low drivers side alternator or P/S pump"

覧覧覧覧覧覧
Old 02-16-2023, 08:35 AM   #5
Moarplease

For a truck with the engine mounted in the rear position of the engine mount locations may have that little bit more clearance needed.

Adam
Moarplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 01:33 PM   #6
Arne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moarplease View Post
For a truck with the engine mounted in the rear position of the engine mount locations may have that little bit more clearance needed.

Adam
My truck's engine is already in the rear mount holes.

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 9.32.42 AM.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  54.6 KB

覧覧覧覧覧覧
Old 02-18-2023, 06:07 PM   #7
Arne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
The kit ships with 2 u-joints and an 18" セDD shaft. For my truck, that wasn't sufficient. The u-joint angles are too acute that way, and the u-joints bind up just a touch when you turn the wheel. Perhaps some trucks might be OK with this setup, but I doubt it. I'd plan on adding a shaft support bearing and third u-joint for best steering feel and durability.
I finished the steering project today. The third u-joint did the trick, the steering is now nice and smooth, no binding at all. Highly recommended for this application.

All in all, I'm pleased with the end result.

覧覧覧覧覧覧

Last edited by Arne; 02-19-2023 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:32 PM   #8
Moarplease

Looks good.

Adam
Moarplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:56 PM   #9
88Stanger

Looks great! I must say that I too am a big fan of the system.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:07 PM   #10
GMT360

Hi hope I'm not too late to ask about the rack conversion?

Do the stock 73-87 tie rod ends thread onto the Dakota rack without adapters?
GMT360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:57 PM   #11
Arne

Not too late yet, I still pop in now and then and will until the truck sells. (Probably 2-3 weeks away via bringatrailer.com).

The Dodge rack as supplied by POL is modified. The inner tie rod ends (aka inner socket assemblies) are either replaced with something non-standard or significantly modified to accept the Chevy tie rod ends, either early (63-72) or late (73-87). The Chevy tie rod ends will not fit an unmodified Dodge rack. The input shaft is also modified, re-machined to change from the Dodge's splined metric shaft to a 3/4DD.

覧覧覧覧覧覧

Last edited by Arne; 07-18-2023 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:32 AM   #12
GMT360

That's fantastic thanks very much for answering my question. I think I'm just going to grab a rack off a full size 07-14 gm truck and adapt the ball joints if I have to.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:21 PM   #13
Arne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT360 View Post
That's fantastic thanks very much for answering my question. I think I'm just going to grab a rack off a full size 07-14 gm truck and adapt the ball joints if I have to.
Just be aware that all the late Silverado rack installs I've seen require a slotted hole in the top of the frame rail for the input shaft to pass through, along with some custom bracketry.

See this post:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...1&postcount=38

覧覧覧覧覧覧
Old 07-18-2023, 05:31 PM   #14
GMT360

Very helpful, very cool.

I'm glad I took the time to ask. Thanks very much for your help, I'm happy to have received the advice.