The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
Markedz

Window Sash re-attachment

I have seen quite a few posts that have suggestions on how to reattach a window sash to the window and now from personal experience I can tell you how I did and relatively painlessly.
For those of you that do not know, the window sash is the "U" shaped channel that the drivers and passenger's side door glass sits in. It is connected to the regulator that operates the window. Chances are if you have changed out the door felts and seals, the glass fits a little too good and probably ripped the glass out of the sash. If this is the case, do not fret... Here's a little advice.
Originally the glass was held in by compression using a cloth backed rubber glazing tape, through much research they are not easy to find and if you do find it chances are it will not work as good as it did from the factory. I will share with you the steps I took with great success but I will not be breaking down each step.
1. Remove anti-rattles on each side of the glass and the door panel
2. Roll up window to the top, while holding the glass try to roll the window down to separate the sash from the glass
3. While the window is still up you should be able to roll the sash to the top using the crank, on my 1970 C20 there was enough room to see the entire
sash in between the glass and the inside of the door.
4. Using a screwdriver and a toothbrush sized wire brush clean out the sash
5. Next, press a lacquer thinner soaked rag into the sash and clean as good as you can.
6. Purchase a high viscosity urethane from 3M, 1 tube will easily do both doors and some lacquer thinner for clean up. The urethane is available in a caulk tube for about $12.00
*** SPECIAL NOTE ***
High viscosity means it's thick and has to be heated to use. I warmed mine up in the oven and occasionally reheated with a heat gun when needed.
7. Lay an even bead on the sash, do not worry if you get a little on the door but the nozzle does fit well in down to the sash. If the urethane does not dispense easily it needs to be warmer.
8. Crank the sash down a little bit to realign and re-seat the glass.
9. Moving quickly, slide the sash towards the strike side of the door while pushing the glass towards the vent window. This keeps the sash from digging into the felt that the glass rides in on the vent window. You can do this by rolling the complete assembly down until you can handle the sash through the door opening and still hang onto the glass out the top of the door.
10. Once you are aligned, make note of the sash to glass reveal and roll the window all the way up... Tight.
11. Since you have the door panel off, take a few extra minutes and lube everything up.
12. Clean up any slop with a little lacquer thinner (Be careful of the paint job) Let it dry over night.

I tried re-positioning the glass in the sash after about 15 minutes for a little "Extra" adjustment... It would not move, not even with giving it literally all I got. I think it is a permanent fix without having to remove the contents of the door. If you have a critique or a question I would be happy to discuss my experience. I apologize for not taking pictures, the repair happened on the fly.
Closed Thread