The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2019, 11:18 PM   #26
PepperTreeGarage

Re: Something's wrong with this brake part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerBill View Post
Did you powder coat or paint the leafs? Or for that matter the axle housing?
Thanks looking good.
The Leafs, Hubs, Backing Plates, and Diff Cover were stripped and painted with Rustoleum primer and gloss black. The axle housing was wire brushed stripped and then hand brushed with Por15 Gloss Black. The frame is also done with Por15. The Por15 lays down flat. There are no brush marks.
Attached Images

PepperTreeGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:17 AM   #27
desert-rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperTreeGarage View Post
Glad your bringing this Good Old Girl back.
Thanks. Doing my best to keep it alive. Those are great looking pictures. Your project is coming along great. And the information is giving me some good ideas. How did you go about lowering the front end??

Last edited by desert-rat; 05-10-2019 at 02:22 AM.
desert-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #28
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-rat View Post
Thanks. Doing my best to keep it alive. Those are great looking pictures. Your project is coming along great. And the information is giving me some good ideas. How did you go about lowering the front end??
Front has 2.5 in. Drop Spindles with 3 in. Drop Springs and shorter Shocks. While I was there, new upper and lower control arms, tie rod ends, adjusters and brake hoses were installed. Also an upper shock mount stiffener. My '72 came with a factory front sway bar, so new lowered sway bar mounts went in aswell. I understand that the Drop Spindles are not available right now because of re-tooling, you'll have to check availability.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #29
desert-rat

Quote:
Front has 2.5 in. Drop Spindles with 3 in. Drop Springs and shorter Shocks. While I was there, new upper and lower control arms, tie rod ends, adjusters and brake hoses were installed. Also an upper shock mount stiffener. My '72 came with a factory front sway bar, so new lowered sway bar mounts went in aswell. I understand that the Drop Spindles are not available right now because of re-tooling, you'll have to check availability.
It's looking great bro. I cant wait till I get to that same point you're at now. Where did you purchase the drop spindles??
Old 05-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #30
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
It's looking great bro. I cant wait till I get to that same point you're at now. Where did you purchase the drop spindles??
POL-Performance On Line. Their Site shows "Out Of Stock". As, I believe, most other sites will show also. More info here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=783230 Post #2 By GMCPaul explains the situation.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #31
desert-rat

Quote:
POL-Performance On Line. Their Site shows "Out Of Stock". As, I believe, most other sites will show also. More info here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=783230 Post #2 By GMCPaul explains the situation.
Everybody does seem to be out of stock on the drop spindles for 3/4 ton. But I can get 2 inch drop coil springs. I might go that route and get 2 inch drop shackles for the rear and that should bring me about where I want. If I could even find drop shackles for a 3/4 ton.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #32
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
Everybody does seem to be out of stock on the drop spindles for 3/4 ton. But I can get 2 inch drop coil springs. I might go that route and get 2 inch drop shackles for the rear and that should bring me about where I want. If I could even find drop shackles for a 3/4 ton.
Sounds like a plan. Just remember these are old trucks with old springs. A 2 in. drop spring may only give you a 1.5 in. drop, as your truck may have 1/2 in. "Spring Sag" already. My front springs had a little over a 1/2 in. of sag. Make sure you're getting 3/4 ton springs for the correct engine, Small Block/Big Block.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #33
desert-rat

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. Just remember these are old trucks with old springs. A 2 in. drop spring may only give you a 1.5 in. drop, as your truck may have 1/2 in. "Spring Sag" already. My front springs had a little over a 1/2 in. of sag. Make sure you're getting 3/4 ton springs for the correct engine, Small Block/Big Block.
Late this month or early june, 3/4 ton drop spindles should be available. I actually forgot that these spring are sagging from age. I'm surprised the leaf springs are still good. The '87 Chevy G20 van I restored, the leaf springs were actually missing broken pieces and 1 spring was turned sideways.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #34
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
Late this month or early june, 3/4 ton drop spindles should be available. I actually forgot that these spring are sagging from age. I'm surprised the leaf springs are still good. The '87 Chevy G20 van I restored, the leaf springs were actually missing broken pieces and 1 spring was turned sideways.
My rear leafs were really in good shape, as the truck did carry an 11' slide in cab over camper all it's life. It was ordered from the factory with the "G50 Heavy Rear Spring" option. From what I was told, it was only used as an RV. The pervious owners did add Hellwig helper leafs and a set of Gabriel "hi jackers" air shocks. Maybe that helped save them. I kept one of the "hi jackers" to hang on the shop wall. LOL.....
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2019, 11:11 PM   #35
desert-rat

Quote:
My rear leafs were really in good shape, as the truck did carry an 11' slide in cab over camper all it's life. It was ordered from the factory with the "G50 Heavy Rear Spring" option. From what I was told, it was only used as an RV. The pervious owners did add Hellwig helper leafs and a set of Gabriel "hi jackers" air shocks. Maybe that helped save them. I kept one of the "hi jackers" to hang on the shop wall. LOL.....
Sweet. Good history to know. That's a good souvenir piece on he shop wall. Wow, the sticker is in great shape. Cant read mine. It's so old. My truck use to belong to Lockheed Martin in Alaska. When the truck was retired, some dude bought it and moved to L.A.. my close uncle was working for LAPD after Vietnam and purchased the truck in the late 70s. He was supposed to ticket it but the guy offered to sell it. So my uncle didt ticket it and said he'll be back after his shift. As far back as I can remember, I've always had a thing for this truck. Just last year when I was visiting him, he said "here" and handed me the keys. He said he knows I'll take care of it. Here the Lockheed Martin on the passenger floor.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2019, 11:49 PM   #36
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
Sweet. Good history to know. That's a good souvenir piece on he shop wall. Wow, the sticker is in great shape. Cant read mine. It's so old. My truck use to belong to Lockheed Martin in Alaska. When the truck was retired, some dude bought it and moved to L.A.. my close uncle was working for LAPD after Vietnam and purchased the truck in the late 70s. He was supposed to ticket it but the guy offered to sell it. So my uncle didt ticket it and said he'll be back after his shift. As far back as I can remember, I've always had a thing for this truck. Just last year when I was visiting him, he said "here" and handed me the keys. He said he knows I'll take care of it. Here the Lockheed Martin on the passenger floor.
Wow! Now that's a cool story and history of your truck. Lockheed didn't merge with Martin Marietta until 1995, so your truck was owned by Lockheed back in the day. My father was a Machinist in the Aerospace Industry from the early 60's until retirement. Almost everyone I knew as a kid growing up was connected to Aerospace somehow. My Dad worked for and retired from Garrett AiResearch. Best known for the Garrett Turbo Chargers today.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:39 AM   #37
desert-rat

Quote:
Wow! Now that's a cool story and history of your truck. Lockheed didn't merge with Martin Marietta until 1995, so your truck was owned by Lockheed back in the day. My father was a Machinist in the Aerospace Industry from the early 60's until retirement. Almost everyone I knew as a kid growing up was connected to Aerospace somehow. My Dad worked for and retired from Garrett AiResearch. Best known for the Garrett Turbo Chargers today.
That's cool. I learned something today. I didnt know that Lockheed and Martin were 2 separate companies. I actually never heard of Martin Marietta till this post. Sounds like you dad had a cool sweet job. It must of been cool growing up with kids being connected to the aerospace one way or another. I grew up in Pomona, so my parents did a great job keeping us out of trouble. Also cool where your dad retired from. Hope retirement is great.