The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2006, 04:29 AM   #1
13lazer
13lazers' blazers

starter problem?

about 2 weeks ago i momentarily reversed polarity on my optima battery(the posts are right in the center), i wasn't paying attention. i started having an intermittant delay between when i turned the key and when my starter engaged. now its completely dead, i cant even jump my ign to batt terminal with a screwdriver now? i have installed a new ignition switch, rewired the circuit, and installed a new alternator. im hesitating to pull the starter because with my oversized oil pan and 2-1/2" corvette ram horns i will need to drop my exhaust again, it took three tries to get rid of my exhaust leak last time i dropped it. my last chance is to use a remote mount ford solenoid. is it possible that i melted my chevy solenoid only, or maybe the whole starter? there were only very small sparks when i pulled the reversed cables off. it was less than 2 seconds time before i realized what i had done. is there a small starter thats worth its price? i've already worn out a powermaster high torque starter in about 1 year of use? has anyone had any long term good luck with an aftermarket chevy starter in a high heat application.

1970 2wd blazer
1972 1ton blazer 4x4 in progress
1966 mustang coupe (modified)
1985 c20 suburban tow rig
1996 462 ranger with a 150 efi merc. a former B.A.S.S. tournament boat
almost all exempt from california smog laws intentionally.
13lazer is offline   Reply With Quote