The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2018, 02:49 AM   #1
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Re: Starting a 52 Chevy 3100 Project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
To some people the S-10 frame is the perfect solution, I am just tossing it out there so he makes sure it IS what he is after.

Brian
To quote Lowrider magazine: "There are s10s, and then there's everything else."

A whole generation grew up with S10s as THE status vehicle de jour. It's natural that when this group matures and branches into other hot rodding disciplines they still feel comfy with the S10 format - even if it's not really the best means to the end. Hot rod builders can be sheep; in some article somewhere, somebody had an awesome AD on S10 and soon every reader in the country has to have that combo. I can go through Ebay and count the botched-up AD trucks on S10 frames; they're easy to spot, with the super-shallow beds, 3-inch thick spacers to get the track out where it should be, and wheels not centered in the wells. I'd say one in 10 gets it right, mostly because - as the OP said - they " read everything on the s10 swap," meaning they all read the same online threads and they all do it exactly the same - even if it's wrong.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:02 AM   #2
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Z View Post

A whole generation grew up with S10s as THE status vehicle de jour. It's natural that when this group matures and branches into other hot rodding disciplines they still feel comfy with the S10 format - even if it's not really the best means to the end. Hot rod builders can be sheep; in some article somewhere, somebody had an awesome AD on S10 and soon every reader in the country has to have that combo. I can go through Ebay and count the botched-up AD trucks on S10 frames; they're easy to spot, with the super-shallow beds, 3-inch thick spacers to get the track out where it should be, and wheels not centered in the wells. I'd say one in 10 gets it right, mostly because - as the OP said - they " read everything on the s10 swap," meaning they all read the same online threads and they all do it exactly the same - even if it's wrong.

well, at least you didnt need a new keyboard after typing a post like brian does, he has to wear out the "I" key twice a week.

but there are a fair amount of guys who get it right, and if anyone read the sticky on the top of this forum they have a better chance than most.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
28TudorAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
but there are a fair amount of guys who get it right, and if anyone read the sticky on the top of this forum they have a better chance than most.
I read that sticky after we bought the truck but very helpful...It will definitely cut down on trying to come up with engineering ideas.
28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:55 AM   #4
Mopar17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Z View Post

I have read 100 fold ways to swap an S10’s frame under a 52 chev. I want a different look and stance. I’m thinking of doing a 68 frame with a 327 turbo 350 package. Anyone have experience with a similar swap ? I heard of a few 47-54 swaps onto mid 80’s full size but never into a full size 67-72 frame. Thoughts? Guidance ? Help?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mopar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:07 AM   #5
dsraven

mopar,
if you have the original frame you could do a bolt in ifs and fab a rear suspension,or use a modified stock rear suspension with leafs, and then everything would fit.
don't rule out building your own frame with a bolt in front ifs either. if you have fab skills and access to some straight beams to use for a jig, it could be relatively straight forward compared to a frame swap. trust me, frame swap is a lot of work, more so than a bolt in ifs on your old frame.
lots of guys also swap in a front suspension from something else, then do a big c notch out back and then, if you look at it, the only stock chunk of frame left is the part the cab sits on.might as well start over. it might be straighter, lol. what do you have to start with, got a build thread or pics?

not meant to offend anybody, there is a lot of work that has gone into some of these builds and there is some nice stuff sitting on S10 undercarriage. just saying from personal experience that a frame swap is not for the faint of heart so sometimes staying with the stock frame can get you driving faster and maybe keep the half built project off the buy and sell site.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:25 AM   #6
28TudorAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
mopar,
if you have the original frame you could do a bolt in ifs and fab a rear suspension,or use a modified stock rear suspension with leafs, and then everything would fit.
don't rule out building your own frame with a bolt in front ifs either. if you have fab skills and access to some straight beams to use for a jig, it could be relatively straight forward compared to a frame swap. trust me, frame swap is a lot of work, more so than a bolt in ifs on your old frame.
lots of guys also swap in a front suspension from something else, then do a big c notch out back and then, if you look at it, the only stock chunk of frame left is the part the cab sits on.might as well start over. it might be straighter, lol. what do you have to start with, got a build thread or pics?

not meant to offend anybody, there is a lot of work that has gone into some of these builds and there is some nice stuff sitting on S10 undercarriage. just saying from personal experience that a frame swap is not for the faint of heart so sometimes staying with the stock frame can get you driving faster and maybe keep the half built project off the buy and sell site.

He is correct. The amount of time is probably about equal. The time you save on brakes and suspension work is spent on making the bed fit and mounting the cab and front end. Money wise the S10 swap is probably cheaper though if you use everything. Also depends on what you start with. My original frame needed everything. It had been sitting for 30 years. It has been nice to be able to run to the local auto parts store for everything though.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #7
dsraven

yeah, thats what I'm talking about. time for time comparison. if you start with the frame from the truck and install a bolt in ifs, like a scott's unit, then upgrade the rear axle to something that has easily available parts and a good gear ratio for your needs,install the torque tube delete kit on the rear suspension to work with a standard leaf spring set up (new springs as well), then your cab will fit, the box fits, the bumpers fit etc.the power plant would likely be swapped no matter what option you go with so that is a wash in my eyes. it's all based on what you have for cash and skills and cash, and skills. less cash equals more sweat equity so more skills and tools and more time spent before the first ride, plus more chance you will just give up and start using the old truck for a shelf in the shop. good on guys who do the swap and follow it through in a timely fashion or even take years to finish but don't give up.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
Mopar17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
mopar,

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #9
Mopar17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar17 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I already have my 68 frame built with new IFS. Back end is done with new 4 link coil over. Rear diff is rebuilt , 327 bored and assembled with 302 heads , turbo 350 behind it completely re done as well. I just dropped my 52 cab on the frame to see how it will sit and it looks like it is gonna be a tough build. I’m up for the challenge but looking for advise from someone that has done this swap before. Again I did not want it to be just another S10’s swap I want it to have a different stance when it’s done. Any words of wisdom ?

I should start a different thread. Didn’t mean to jump in on this build thread
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2019, 08:43 PM   #10
28TudorAZ

More progress.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
Desert1957