The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2024, 06:41 PM   #1
zicc1835

help getting the horn to work

I have a Flaming River tilt column and want to use my original steering wheel has anyone had any experience using this combo one of my least knowledgable areas ....and there are many is electrical ....anyone have any ideas
thanks
Attached Images

zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:43 PM   #2
zicc1835

Re: help getting the horn to work

and two more
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2024, 07:13 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Well I don't know specifically about flaming river, but I can tell what I think and other can chime in.

If you short point 1 to ground, it should toot the horn.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  104.6 KB

This is the cancelling cam. Point 2 touches point 1 and remains in contact when you turn the steering wheel.
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  73.1 KB

The bottom of this tower on the cancelling cam is point 3, and it is the other side of the brass ring shown in the previous picture. You insert the nail and spring device into the tower. So the end of that wire, if shorted to ground should make the horn toot.
Name:  3and4.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  98.6 KB

OK with this steering wheel you don't need the wire attached to the nail and spring. The tower of the cancelling cam should stick up through the steering wheel, there is a hole in the steering wheel to accept insertion of the cancelling cam tower. On the underside of this convex spring disc is point 5 where the nail and spring device makes contact. Now finally, when the convex spring disc is pushed down, it will make contact at point 6. When the convex spring disc makes contact with the hub right there next to the steering wheel mounting nut, it shorts the electric connection to ground, and that causes the horn to toot.
Name:  5and6c.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  101.0 KB

So here's where it is not clear to me. I don't know if you need a stock cancelling cam with its nail and spring guts (and there would be no wire). Or, if you need to use your flaming river cancelling cam with nail and spring guts and remove the wire or cut the wire most of the way off and just leave enough exposed and stripped wire sticking out of the top of the tower to contact the underside of that convex spring disc. Others here on the forum may know that answer. If you have a stock canceling cam, give it a try, and if you don't a posting of a want-to-buy ad in the parts section will probably fix you up with one cheap.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:28 PM   #4
dmjlambert

This is what a stock cancelling cam looks like. The contact sticking out of the plastic tower is springy and it makes constant contact with the underside of the convex spring disk.

The convex spring disk
Old 04-03-2024, 07:28 PM   #5
zicc1835

this info and illustration is very much appreciated Im going to look tomorrow I do have the column I removed and it should have the cancel cam in it ...I hope again THANK YOU
Old 04-03-2024, 07:54 PM   #6
dmjlambert

There is also a possibility that flaming river has a cancelling cam for sale (or in the box) that is meant for use with a stock steering wheel, or they can offer better hints and tips through their support.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:04 PM   #7
zicc1835

I did some searching on their site a few months ago but didn't find any useful info im going to take your advice in the meantime I will look again at their site tonight ...type in canceling cam see what comes up
Old 04-03-2024, 08:13 PM   #8
zicc1835

I went on their site jogged my memory they have the same CC that I have and something for a mustang I may give them a call tomorrow
Old 04-04-2024, 01:41 AM   #9
pjmoreland

I don't know if this will fit your Flaming River cancel cam, but this is the type of thing you will need.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...hoCrqUQAvD_BwE
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:12 PM   #10
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
I have a Flaming River tilt column and want to use my original steering wheel has anyone had any experience using this combo one of my least knowledgable areas ....and there are many is electrical ....anyone have any ideas
thanks
You want the aluminum ''cup'' in pic 2 of Post 1 to point its notch at 12 o'clock. That way the rubber on the back of the horn button is lined up so the front of the button reads right. CHEVROLET should get top billing over Division.

And I put the hole in the flat spring for the horn contact plunger at 10 o'clock.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-04-2024 at 01:23 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 05:42 PM   #11
zicc1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
You want the aluminum ''cup'' in pic 2 of Post 1 to point its notch at 12 o'clock. That way the rubber on the back of the horn button is lined up so the front of the button reads right. CHEVROLET should get top billing over Division.

And I put the hole in the flat spring for the horn contact plunger at 10 o'clock.
Got It THANK YOU ....when I get it back together I'll make sure I follow that direction
Old 04-07-2024, 10:06 PM   #12
zicc1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I don't know if this will fit your Flaming River cancel cam, but this is the type of thing you will need.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...hoCrqUQAvD_BwE
got it ....will see I should be able to get to it this week thanks for all the advice
fingers crossed