The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
70monte

How much rust is too much?

My post about possibly buying a 72 GMC that has some rust issues and some of the replies, has me asking a couple of questions, how much rust is too much to consider restoring a truck and what is a desirable configuration that would make you fix more rust than you normally would?

I have seen quite a few posts on restorations here where people are replacing the normal things like rockers, cab corners, cab supports, and outer floor pans as well as the more difficult ones such as the entire floor, roofs, inner roofs, and firewalls. Beds don't seem to be the real deal killers as they don't usually seem to rust as bad as the cabs and it's easier to find mostly rust free beds vs rust free cabs.

Obviously the least amout of rust is desirable but for the ones here that have done or had done extensive rust repair, what was your motivation to buy one with a lot of rust or fix one that you currently owned instead of finding one with less rust to fix. Thanks.

Wayne
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Re: How much rust is too much?

To answer your initial question, this is too much rust...
Attached Images

70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
custom1970

By the time I got my truck the rust was pretty bad, but the truck was originally my grandfathers and it had a lot of personal value to me. I've owned it for close to 20 yrs now and restored it twice. The second time I realized how hard rust was to fix. I replaced both front fenders, one door and the bottom of the other. In short.... I hate rust!!!! Unfortunately it's a fact of life here in Florida.
Posted via Mobile Device
But at least my cab was in pretty good shape, that seems to be the most expensive area to fix. Bolt on parts are rather cheap and easy to find
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
1965 Chris Craft 17' wood ski boat (SN #0001)
custom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Pont406

I got this 68 c10 for almost nothing. Next morning I found all this rust problems. I gave it away to my buddy. Surface rust is ok but no holes.
Attached Images

Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
70monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
Wow, that is probably the worst I've seen. Thanks for the reply.

Wayne
Old 08-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
70monte

How often do you guys actually find this body style of truck with no rust holes that has not been fixed in the past?

Wayne
Old 08-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Just depend on what you want to fix, my truck got rockers, couple cab supports, front cup on one fender, drivers side lower half of door was replaced, cab corners, couple floor patches. Nothing to bad some i had done some i done i have a 59 project comeing up and i plan to do it all myself it need more work than i ever done but thats how you learn!!!
Attached Images

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
70cst

I would say this is to much rust

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
matt_field

wasnt that white truck restored? and looks very nice now? i could be thinking of a diff. truck though...
1968 4wd shortbox
1971 Cheyenne swb k10 unrestored
1971 Cheyenne super 40k 402bb survivor
1967 Chevy k10 (first truck)
1968 L78 camaro survivor 18k miles
1969 z28 survivor 60k miles
1969 z28 survivor 39k miles
1969 z28 rs survivor 80k miles
matt_field is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
69GWC

To me rockers and cab corners are fine on the cab, and anything that you can unbolt is good but the price of the truck to start with would play a big part of how much is to much I guess.

Still trying to deciede on my 70 what's going to happen with it as it will need a bed and doors but the rest is the normal rust for around here, but a bed and 2 doors can cost..
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_field View Post
wasnt that white truck restored? and looks very nice now? i could be thinking of a diff. truck though...
You might be right...I saved this picture but can't remember the history behind it.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
Lee H

Guess I'm lucky. My body man charged me 2 hours to repair the rust in my 72. A quarter size hole in one rocker and a nickel size hole in each door. Patch panel and lead. No plastic.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
Fogline69

Quote:
But I really like the color!
Posted via Mobile Device
Fogline69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #14
70monte

What is the average cost to replace rockers, cab supports, cab corners, and the entire floor?

I guess I'm used to cars where you have floor, trunk, qtr panels, and possibly rockers that many times need fixed. My 70 Monte needed both qtr panels replaced as well as the bottom half of both front fenders done. It also had to have the lower part of the rear window channel rebuilt. One of my floor pans still has a crack in it that needs to be fixed.

I guess my point is, is that I've seen a lot of cars redone that needed way more rust repair than a lot of these trucks do yet people seem to be hesitant about having much rust fixed on the cab.

That white 4x4 GMC is worse than I have personally seen and I agree that I wouldn't consider it a canidate for a restoration even though it's a 4x4. Thanks again for all of the input.

Wayne
Old 08-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

this one looked like this but now it looks like this. I guess eveybody has different outlooks on what is too much rust.Although there were a couple of pictures posted the even i would not tackle.
Attached Images

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
classicundercar

Quote:

lol.

do you have a welder? do you want to take the truck apart and get dirty?

really it depends on your skillset and time/$. anything (almost) can be fixed, but unless you can do it yourself at some point it becomes easier to replace the cab. esp on these types of vehicles where rust free parts are still around.

very different when you're talking about a prewar ford or something more rare. I've known folks to replace insane amounts of rare cars, because that is their only choice.

Past:
1972 c10 lwb
1969 c10 swb
1977 c10 lwb
more old jeeps than I want to remember!
classicundercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
john
member #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
You might be right...I saved this picture but can't remember the history behind it.
70 cst, I think that truck was on classic heartbeat years ago. the guy inherited it when his brother passed. It was restored to like new condition. maybe Wes remembers it.

Last edited by john; 08-27-2012 at 04:09 PM.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

I personally won't tackle a cab that needs cab supports and major roof repair (I don't have the time or talent). Inner and outer rockers, cab corners, small roof, cowel and floor repairs are all managable for me. I like to keep the metal repair on a cab in the $1500 range (not including doors) or less.
Now if it's a rare and/or super desirable unit I'll consider spending more. Remember they made millions of these cabs so good ones are still out there. You also have to factor travel or shipping costs if thats what it takes to find a solid one.
In my opinion a nice solid a/c deluxe cab and doors (requiring no metal work)is worth $2000 to $2500....here in Florida.
Attached Images

71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #19
bbadfred
bbadfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pont406 View Post
I got this 68 c10 for almost nothing. Next morning I found all this rust problems. I gave it away to my buddy. Surface rust is ok but no holes.
LOL thats not rusty here in Illinois!!!!!!
bbadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #20
leddzepp

Take a trip out west and pick up a rust free truck. You will be $$ and time ahead versus fixing a rusty one, unless you have lots of time and like to weld.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #21
70monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicundercar View Post
lol.

do you have a welder? do you want to take the truck apart and get dirty?

really it depends on your skillset and time/$. anything (almost) can be fixed, but unless you can do it yourself at some point it becomes easier to replace the cab. esp on these types of vehicles where rust free parts are still around.

very different when you're talking about a prewar ford or something more rare. I've known folks to replace insane amounts of rare cars, because that is their only choice.
I have a welder but not the right kind for automotive metal and I don't have the welding skills for this type of work. I don't mind taking things apart or getting dirty as I do most of my own mechanic work myself. Rust repair would have to be something I left up to someone else as I have no experience in that area though I would like to learn how to do it.

Wayne
Old 08-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #22
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Take a trip out west and pick up a rust free truck. You will be $$ and time ahead versus fixing a rusty one, unless you have lots of time and like to weld.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is what I did... no regrets whatsoever.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #23
72 K20

There have been some very reasonably priced trucks on the Las Vegas Craigslist.
I picked up my 72 K20 for under $3500 delivered to my house . It just turned over 66,000 miles. It had sat for over 10 years and I had a lot of dried out seals but, all of the rust on the truck wouldn't cover a paper plate. It has some dents but very little rust.
Most recently I purchased a 72 C20,402 BB,TH400,AC cab,power steering and brakes, front stabilizer, original hubcaps, overload springs,AM/FM with MP3 input, near new dual exhaust, and a tool /stowage compartment,,,,,,,,,,,,,$2k delivered to Iowa. Less rust than the K20.

When I started looking for a decent box I was looking at a grand, or there abouts, for a straight box. A complete cab floor delivered will run around $4-$600 plus the labor to install it.
I got a whole truck , that I could drive, for $2K,,, that's a no-brainer.

Now keep in mind, I bought 3/4 ton trucks, both long beds. A short box will cost considerably more because of the demand. A lot of people don't want a 3/4 ton because they want a daily driver that will seldom pull a trailer, haul a heavy load and desire a softer ride. I wanted 3/4 ton to use. But keep in mind,,a 3/4 ton cab and box are totally interchangable with 1/2 ton. And if the desire to have a short box is on your mind,, there are several members on here that have cut down a long box to a shorty.

Have a great day !!
Tom
72 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #24
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pont406 View Post
Only in California!

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #25
70monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 K20 View Post
There have been some very reasonably priced trucks on the Las Vegas Craigslist.
I picked up my 72 K20 for under $3500 delivered to my house . It just turned over 66,000 miles. It had sat for over 10 years and I had a lot of dried out seals but, all of the rust on the truck wouldn't cover a paper plate. It has some dents but very little rust.
Most recently I purchased a 72 C20,402 BB,TH400,AC cab,power steering and brakes, front stabilizer, original hubcaps, overload springs,AM/FM with MP3 input, near new dual exhaust, and a tool /stowage compartment,,,,,,,,,,,,,$2k delivered to Iowa. Less rust than the K20.

When I started looking for a decent box I was looking at a grand, or there abouts, for a straight box. A complete cab floor delivered will run around $4-$600 plus the labor to install it.
I got a whole truck , that I could drive, for $2K,,, that's a no-brainer.

Now keep in mind, I bought 3/4 ton trucks, both long beds. A short box will cost considerably more because of the demand. A lot of people don't want a 3/4 ton because they want a daily driver that will seldom pull a trailer, haul a heavy load and desire a softer ride. I wanted 3/4 ton to use. But keep in mind,,a 3/4 ton cab and box are totally interchangable with 1/2 ton. And if the desire to have a short box is on your mind,, there are several members on here that have cut down a long box to a shorty.

Have a great day !!
Tom
I don't mind 3/4 ton trucks as I have also looked at a few of them and I don't care about having a short box. My problem is I'm leery of buying any vehicle that I cannot physically see since I have found out that most people selling a vehicle do not represent it accurately. How did you go about buying your trucks and how did you know what you were getting? Thanks.

Wayne